Default Slavery Math Questions For 3rd Graders in Georgia

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...homework-asks/

Are you f*cking kidding me?

Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?
    If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in one week?

Default Re: Slavery Math Questions For 3rd Graders in Georgia

I just in shock at this.

I don't get how people can be this stupid and cruel.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

I'd like to answer those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I just in shock at this.

I don't get how people can be this stupid and cruel.
    If you watch the video the super intended or whatever she is says the teachers were trying to cross-teach subjects. So they were trying to combine social studies with math. How the f*ck can they be this stupid?

What next?

If Hitler executed 5,304 Jews per day for a full year, how many would have died by the last day of the year?
    Last edited by Meticode; 01-09-2012 at 03:57 AM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Kyle takes 5 seconds to reload his gun. Can Tyrone, who sprints 100 meters in 11 secs, make it to cover 40 meters away before Kyle is ready to shoot him?

Muhammad is flying a plane to WTC building. The speed of the plane is at constant 700 miles/hour. If the distance between Muhammad's plane and the WTC is exactly 135 meters, how long before his plane hit the building?

Bonus: If the plane exploded and gives out constant heat of 3500 degree fahrentheit, how long before the 6 inch thick steel column in the building melt? Show your work!

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    If you watch the video the super intended or whatever she is says the teachers were trying to cross-teach subjects. So they were trying to combine social studies with math. How the f*ck is this stupid?

What next?

If Hitler executed 5,304 Jews per day for a full year, how many would have died by the last day of the year?
    Are you serious?

It's stupid to ask questions such as these to kids so young.

It's stupid to think that the school won't get negative press that will adversely affect the school's ability to teach (and it's credibility).

It's stupid to bring up slavery questions and questions about beating is math.

It's stupid that they put racial undertones in a subject such as math.

Is that enough support for my claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Are you serious?

It's stupid to ask questions such as these to kids so young.

It's stupid to think that the school won't get negative press that will adversely affect the school's ability to teach (and it's credibility).

It's stupid to bring up slavery questions and questions about beating is math.

It's stupid that they put racial undertones in a subject such as math.

Is that enough support for my claim?
    LoL I mistyped, I meant to type "How the f*ck can they be this stupid?" I'm not supporting the questions at all. That's probably why my Hitler comment made no sense.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

How many people does it take to plant 300 seeds spread evenly over a 60 X 100 yard farm?

[COLOR="White"]Answer: The answer is zero. They make the n!ggers do it, and I reckon that n!ggers ain't no people.[/COLOR]

If you watch the video the super intended or whatever she is says the teachers were trying to cross-teach subjects. So they were trying to combine social studies with math. How the f*ck can they be this stupid?

What next?

Will it surprise you to know that's actually what they asked in Nazi Germany? Apparently school curriculum had questions like:

"To keep a mentally ill person costs approximately 4 marks a day. There are 300,000 mentally ill people in care. How much do these people cost to keep in total? How many marriage loans of 1000 marks could be granted with this money?"
    "A bomber aircraft on take-off carries 12 dozen bombs, each weighing 10 kilos. The aircraft takes off for Warsaw the international centre for Jewry. It bombs the town. On take-off with all bombs on board and a fuel tank containing 100 kilos of fuel, the aircraft weighed about 8 tons. When it returns from the crusade, there are still 230 kilos left. What is the weight of the aircraft when empty ?"
    Yeah, best to keep social studies and Maths separate.

cracking me up

NBA Superstar

I understand what the teachers were going for but I don't agree with what they came up with. School districts love cross-curricular activities and as a result I've often seen teachers hurriedly jam two subjects together in poor form. It seems clear to me that slavery and women's rights were that classroom's Social Studies agenda at the time. 3rd grade is right around the time we began exploring those aspects of history as well.

If I had to guess, the hardships and suffering of slavery had already been very well discussed. I'd venture to say women's lack of human rights had also been covered (going by the Susan B. Anthony question that can be seen in the video). As such, I think these questions were supposed to be a way for students to reaffirm the ridiculous nature of these events.

However, I completely agree this didn't work. Those questions are worded terribly (and in present tense). Some 3rd graders could read those questions and assume beatings were normal and okay (though again I'd presume they'd all just read about how horrible it was to be a slave).

Either way, the questions themselves are retarded. The teachers themselves made a mistake, but there's no way I'd consider them racists. It's obvious to me they were trying to do a teacher thing and just sucked at it. My favorite part of that video was the father at the end. He began his sentence, "Whoever put together this paperwork and everything else. The schools and everything shouldn't. . ." And I thought he was going to say they shouldn't teach ever again. But I think he realized the nature of this mistake and that it wasn't a subliminally racist motivation. Instead, he just said, "The schools and everything shouldn't teach it this way." He's right. The parents did the right thing. And the school did the right thing. It's a stupid paper. Get rid of the stupid paper. Move on. And it sounds like they will.

Hattie McDaniel being barred from the Atlanta premier of "Gone With the Wind" comes to mind. Actually, just "Gone With the Wind" comes to mind, that movie is set in Georgia and is racist as shit, and extremely nostalgic for slavery. I suspect the teachers who created these questions watch GWtW without a grain of salt. Probably love "Birth of a Nation" too, again with nary a grain of salt in sight.

Nothing wrong with teaching kids that slavery happened, but these math questions seem to normalize it, like slaves catching beatings was an everyday thing and that it was ok.

Slavery was a historical atrocity, or rather a long series of atrocities, a stain on America that can never really be removed. However it can be left in the past if white people will stop acting like slavery never happened or that it wasn't a problem.

Is it inaccurate?