Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: Consensus #1 pick (according to ISH) finishes w/6 points 9 rebounds against Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

Drummond is going #1 anyway.

Banned

Default Re: Consensus #1 pick (according to ISH) finishes w/6 points 9 rebounds against Indiana

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist <--------------- that's the guy i want @ #1

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

That is something that all small markets should be aware of when making these kinds of franchise-altering selections.
    No young star im aware of has passed up his first chance at a big payday so anyone you draft who becomes a star is gonna be yours for at least 7 or 8 years. No GM is gonna draft based on his picks possible desire 8 years in the future. GMs have to prove themselves in much shorter timeframes than that. Not about to let the next star go to some other team because in 8 years he might leave. Gms thinking like that get fired long before that 8 years is up. Even an owner like Gilbert I cant see signing off on such a thing.

If the next Blake comes along but hes born and raised in LA and talks about dreaming of being a laker or if not a laker...a Knick...the Cavs would still draft him. And be right to do so.

7-8 years is a long time to build your team. Most stars arent anywhere for that long anyway.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    No young star im aware of has passed up his first chance at a big payday so anyone you draft who becomes a star is gonna be yours for at least 7 or 8 years. No GM is gonna draft based on his picks possible desire 8 years in the future. GMs have to prove themselves in much shorter timeframes than that. Not about to let the next star go to some other team because in 8 years he might leave. Gms thinking like that get fired long before that 8 years is up. Even an owner like Gilbert I cant see signing off on such a thing.

If the next Blake comes along but hes born and raised in LA and talks about dreaming of being a laker or if not a laker...a Knick...the Cavs would still draft him. And be right to do so.

7-8 years is a long time to build your team. Most stars arent anywhere for that long anyway.
    Deron Williams was in New Jersey for 5 1/2 seasons, not 7-8 seasons. Paul was in NO for 6 seasons.

If the next "Blake" comes along and talks about wanting to play for the Lakers or Knicks, I would hope that the Cavs wouldn't draft him. You have big-time players forcing their way to the franchises of their choosing these days.

It should absolutely be taken into account by small market teams.

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Deron Williams was in New Jersey for 5 1/2 seasons, not 7-8 seasons. Paul was in NO for 6 seasons.

If the next "Blake" comes along and talks about wanting to play for the Lakers or Knicks, I would hope that the Cavs wouldn't draft him. You have big-time players forcing their way to the franchises of their choosing these days.

Kevin Durant constantly talks about his love for the DMV area, if you used that rationale you'd pass up on him.

The key theme with Cp3, Melo, Deron, LeBron, Dwight and Bosh is that management failed to get a secondary star next to them while the Thunder have complimented Durant with Westbrook.

You can't be afraid to draft someone because they crave the bright lights, get great players around them and it won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    Kevin Durant constantly talks about his love for the DMV area, if you used that rationale you'd pass up on him.

The key theme with Cp3, Melo, Deron, LeBron, Dwight and Bosh is that management failed to get a secondary star next to them while the Thunder have complimented Durant with Westbrook.

You can't be afraid to draft someone because they crave the bright lights, get great players around them and it won't matter.
    I don't want to get into it, but James never had any intention of staying here and it is abundantly clear in retrospect. Durant is a different thing, because he is a very high character guy and a grounded individual. Like I said in my initial post, that has to be weighed heavily by small markets.

Loving your hometown and plainly stating you'd love to play for a couple of franchises other than the one who may draft you are completely different things.

Tristan Thompson was selected at No. 4 partly because of his high character. And I'm all for it.

Cuba

I don't want to get into it, but James never had any intention of staying here and it is abundantly clear in retrospect. Durant is a different thing, because he is a very high character guy and a grounded individual. Like I said in my initial post, that has to be weighed heavily by small markets.

Loving your hometown and plainly stating you'd love to play for a couple of franchises other than the one who may draft you are completely different things.

Tristan Thompson was selected at No. 4 partly because of his high character. And I'm all for it.
    I don't agree, I think had the Cavs been able to pair LeBron up with someone while he was still in his first 3 years he would have stayed because the odds of winning a title would be much higher. I think Paxson really ruined any chance of LeBron staying early on, losing Boozer, trading a first round pick for Jiri Welsch and taking Luke Jackson over Al Jefferson/Josh Smith. It was just terrible move one after the other and set the franchise back 3-4 years.

But, Durant loves the DMV area and has a huge Maryland tattoo, he could bolt for the Wiz in a few years if the Thunder bottom out, right? Like I said man, the common theme between all the teams losing their stars is that none of them had secondary star players.

I don't agree, I think had the Cavs been able to pair LeBron up with someone while he was still in his first 3 years he would have stayed because the odds of winning a title would be much higher. I think Paxson really ruined any chance of LeBron staying early on, losing Boozer, trading a first round pick for Jiri Welsch and taking Luke Jackson over Al Jefferson/Josh Smith. It was just terrible move one after the other and set the franchise back 3-4 years.

But, Durant loves the DMV area and has a huge Maryland tattoo, he could bolt for the Wiz in a few years if the Thunder bottom out, right? Like I said man, the common theme between all the teams losing their stars is that none of them had secondary star players.
    The whole Jiri Welsch thing is overstated. The pick that was traded was a first rounder in '07 and that turned out to be a very late pick that ended up no better than Welsch. I'm sure we could have gotten LeBron's No. 2 man with that pick.
    ]
    And, unfortunately, you don't have 20/20 vision when actually picking in the draft that you do in looking back years later. A lot of teams took inferior players over Smith and Jefferson. Also, as if either of those two guys would be the difference between James staying or leaving?

Nah. He was always going to leave. It is obvious in retrospect, which is why he pleaded with the organization to trade away any assets that it might have to build a foundation to 'win now' with vets that have bloated contracts.

Durant and James couldn't be further apart in their approach to the franchises that drafted them. Durant dealt with the losing for several years at the start of his career. James was already threatening to leave by the time his first player option came along.

The Thunder picked in the Top 5... What? 3-4 years in a row? The Cavs were never even close to that bad in the James years.

The whole Jiri Welsch thing is overstated. The pick that was traded was a first rounder in '07 and that turned out to be a very late pick that ended up no better than Welsch. I'm sure we could have gotten LeBron's No. 2 man with that pick.
    ]
    And, unfortunately, you don't have 20/20 vision when actually picking in the draft that you do in looking back years later. A lot of teams took inferior players over Smith and Jefferson. Also, as if either of those two guys would be the difference between James staying or leaving?

Nah. He was always going to leave. It is obvious in retrospect, which is why he pleaded with the organization to trade away any assets that it might have to build a foundation to 'win now' with vets that have bloated contracts.

Durant and James couldn't be further apart in their approach to the franchises that drafted them. Durant dealt with the losing for several years at the start of his career. James was already threatening to leave by the time his first player option came along.

The Thunder picked in the Top 5... What? 3-4 years in a row? The Cavs were never even close to that bad in the James years.
    So now Cavs fans have begun believing that LeBron purposely wanted to screw over the Cavs.

Deron has been under his rookie or second Jazz contract since summer 05. Its 2012. He couldnt leave for 7 years+. They decided to get rid of him assuming he wouldnt sign back. But fact is they had the ability to keep him for 7 years. This would be pauls 7th season in NO but he wasnt gonna sign after that so they did the smart thing and let him go early. Melo was in Denver all but 27 games of 8 years. Dwight has been on the Magic for 8 years. Amare was a Sun for 8 years. Lebron a Cav for 7. Bosh a raptor for 7.

These are not pitstops. Teams are built torn down and rebuilt....and torn down again...in less than 7-8 years.

If the Cavs can sign the next Blake they arent gonna take the next Al harrington because he seems less needy of the bright lights. They arent gonna be thinking "Well...in 2020 this might be a problem". They are thinking of the national tv coverage coming back,. the jersey sales, and someone to help make up that 100 million a year hole Lebron left in the city.

If you are gonna pass up all time greats because you are afraid what might happen in 6-8 years you might as well fold the franchise. You can never tell. Reggie Miller is a lifetime Laker fan from LA who played damn near 20 years in Indiana....and for all the talk of what is different now...I still see Dirks, and Duncans, and Durants(I suspect he stays) and Roses and plenty of others I suspect will have long careers where they are.

If you go in passing up talent because of a potential problem nearly a decade from now...that you can likely prevent if you manage the team well enough...you are just giving up. Cleveland gets mocked jokingly and all....but cmon. You cant be so afraid of the impression your town makes as to pass up a Blake like talent out of fear he will be miserable.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 01-24-2012 at 09:36 PM.

And ive always hated the idea that choosing not to sign to a team you dont want to play for anymore is a character issue. IT tells nothing of what you are as a person. Karl Malone plays in Utah for 19 years....and has sex with 11 year old girls and has to be taken to court over not wanting to pay 125 dollars in child support. Chris Paul has....worse character?

toronto agreed to a trade for bosh in the 2010 offseason. we just had to wait on lebron to say he would stay, he refused to answer the question so we didnt do the trade.

also in the 2008-2009 offseasons we could have signed a couple good players. all of them asked lebron if he was gonna stay and once again he refused to answer.

it was partly his fault we could get any good free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    And ive always hated the idea that choosing not to sign to a team you dont want to play for anymore is a character issue. IT tells nothing of what you are as a person. Karl Malone plays in Utah for 19 years....and has sex with 11 year old girls and has to be taken to court over not wanting to pay 125 dollars in child support. Chris Paul has....worse character?
    I'm not saying that a guy leaving the franchise who drafted him is a character issue. I'm saying that teams should at least attempt to evaluate whether or not a player wants to play for a franchise and if they are of high character. One doesn't necessarily go along with the other.

I never equated the two.

Lets say next year an unknown player by the name of Adonis McMasco starts owning college basketball. I mean this guy comes in playing the 4 and drops 27/14 leading his "Thats a D1 team? For real?" level team to the sweet sixteen before winning the next 3 national titles. Last 3 years he puts up 32/15, 32/16, and 34/12 sweeping all the awards each year. The title game of his senior year is a 51/29/8 block/8 assist/4 steal game where me makes the title winning 3 over not one but two of Shawn Kemps basketball playing kids.

Hes projected to be the exact midpoint between Hakeem and Tmac in his prime.

Cavs have the #1 pick. Brooklyn Nets have the #2 pick.

Kid is from Brooklyn and openly admits he would love to play for his hometown team and says little to nothing about Cleveland.

Night before the draft hes asked if he will go to the Cavs if picked. He says "I'll go anywhere. Free agency still exists right? But all that is down the line. Im just trying to be the best player I can be and not let everyone down. All the rest I can leave to my agent for now".

Do you want to pick him? Trade the pick just in case he will be a problem in....4 to 8 yearS?

Just trying to get a feel for how big an issue this is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    So now Cavs fans have begun believing that LeBron purposely wanted to screw over the Cavs.

That's clearly not what he said. He said that Lebron didn't give a shit about the long-term because he was only in for the short-term and subsequently pushed the front office to make a bunch of middle of the road moves and accommodate his own personal considerations.