Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default David Robinson vs. Kevin Garnett

Robinson's Resume:

Default Re: David Robinson vs. Kevin Garnett

I'm not gonna say you can't go wrong either of them. Admiral.

David Robinson was pretty much a left handed Garnett, but taller, stronger, faster, quicker and a better leaper. He was arguably the greatest athlete to play in the NBA, plus he had all the skills Garnett had.

Garnett was an elite power forward, Robinson the centre version which made him more effective.

Further to that, Robinson was in an incredible era for centers which affected his level of accomplishments on his resume.

When I say they are similar, I mean they were both high post/driving big guys who could finish strong, both had some nice quick moves in the post and both were effective defenders. Robinson being more athletic and bigger which allowed him to play the 5 and have more effect.
    Last edited by G-train; 08-16-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Great college starter

As a big man only Hakeem/Shaq/Duncan/KAJ are greater than DROB.
    To compare him to KG is not fair to KG.

Bricking Jumpers

Robinson.

Remind me of each other, but the thing that might push it to Garnett for me is his killer instinct, where D-Rob was notorious for being soft.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Robinson before injuries

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Robinson was far far more dominant in his prime. Besides passing (which is negated by the fact that Garnett is a Forward and not a Center) Drob pretty much eclipses in him in every way possible. While KG is the pretty easily the best TRUE power forward of all time defensively David Robinson is just plain one of the 3 or 4 more most dominant defensive players EVER. As far as offense goes...KG was never especially amazing in that regard. I would never call him a dominant offensive player like Robinson was. He just plain never had the consistency as far as efficiency. The only way KG could be put over Drob is through longevity because Robinson crushes KG as far as their peaks go.

There's no such thing as a player which "crushes" peak Garnett. That's just a ridiculous statement.

Ralph Sampson was the first Robinson/Garnett.

owwwww

KG.

ThaSwagg3r

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    KG.
    Explain yourself. I want to know your thoughts on this to see if you have a reasonable point or something of that nature.

Serious playground baller Flamboyant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    Explain yourself. I want to know your thoughts on this to see if you have a reasonable point or something of that nature.
    I'd also go with KG. Admiral was the better scorer, and because he is bigger he was more suited for center position. Garnett is the better rebounder, and a much better passer. He is also a more versatile scorer, and IMO his ring values more than two of Robinson.

id go robinson but its close... robinson was a more effective scorer while KG was a better defender. Its very close. and i just really liked how he played.

ThaSwagg3r

Quote Originally Posted by Flamboyant
    I'd also go with KG. Admiral was the better scorer, and because he is bigger he was more suited for center position. Garnett is the better rebounder, and a much better passer. He is also a more versatile scorer, and IMO his ring values more than two of Robinson.
    Actually their rebounding numbers were quite similar (both averaged 11 rpg for their career). I would probably give KG the slight edge but I certainly don't think KG was completely superior than Robinson at that aspect.

While KG was the better passer, Robinson was no slouch himself. He averaged around 3+ apg in his prime years, he even had a season where he had averaged 5 apg ('93-'94' the same season he won the scoring title).

I think what we will ultimately separate Robinson from Garnett to me was Robinson's scoring ability and Robinson's defense. Garnett did not have the same impact defensively than Robinson did. Robinson was a legit anchor defensively like a Hakeem, Russell, Zo, etc. while Garnett was more of a bigger and taller version of Scottie Pippen.