Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Unemployment Extension

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Then you must suck at using the resources out there. Not saying this as a dig at you....but I'd suggest looking at what you are doing in terms of applying (also 20 jobs is not that much).

Go to a place like RobertHalf (staffing agency). When I got out of undergrad in 2007 the job market was horrendous. They hooked me up with really great 3 to 21 day temp job (e.g., helping with voter registration, going to a company and filing for 2 days, driving a van to deliver county stuff, etc etc). It definitely helped while I was finding a "career" job. Was nice to meet different people and go on different jobs as well.

Beyond that, use less traditional websites like idealist.org to find opportunities to connect with people/internships/volunteer opportunities.

If you said more I'd definitely be willing to post more resources. I have helped a lot of my friends find jobs. I like seeing people get matched up with what they are good at.

i worked for a temp agency too, got to work the DC Sovran Bank Classic(pro tennis event) and some other events related stuff. the only thing that really annoyed me was the temp agencies skim a good chunk out of your pay, and you're working alongside people who got hired directly from the event or job who are making significatly more than you doing the same thing.

maybe its insensitive but i do agree with the idea that unemployment, and more especially longterm unemployment benefits encourage people to snub their nose at available jobs because they make more in unemployment based on their previous job than a lesser one thats available.

and the main reason i'd have to assume why qualified people can't find any job is they live in areas where the job market is dead, and should consider moving even if thats a life altering inconvenience. i see many lesser jobs available but i also know a lot of people won't take them because they think its beneath them.

Default Re: Unemployment Extension

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Lol. I dunno why....but it makes me feel damn bad when I see unqualified people. Just like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole (or wtv that saying is).

I know they would be qualified/possibly crushing/sense of accomplishment it if they had chose to live in a different place (say China/Mexico/Vietnam wherever their native tongue is). However, for some crazy reason they believed in the American dream and came here. I know they sacrificed a lot of their lives for the prosperity of their kids.

My dad was a chemical engineer and my mom had a PhD when they left. They came here at ~28 and had to start over. Dad washed beakers at a science lab, and mom worked at two different libraries part-time. Makes me happy my sister and I have achieved what we have. They gave up their friends, their families, their identity....all so we could have the anything is possible American dream.

To the idiot I quoted...glad your life is so shitty you need to bring others down to push yourself up.
    How exactly was my post bringing someone down? Telling someone who wants to live and work in the U.S. to learn English is called giving damn good advice. [COLOR="Black"]Fu[/COLOR]ck, it's common sense.

I swear, we must be the only nation on earth where so many immigrants expect to thrive without learning the language. I would never move to Russia without first knowing Russian. And if I did, I damn sure wouldn't expect to find many options for employment. I don't doubt that our immigrants are hard-working and willing to sacrifice for their children, which makes their unwillingness to learn English so perplexing to me. Learning the language of this country (and essentially the world) should be the easy part, especially when the hard part is leaving one's home country, sometimes going through hell to get here and then starting a new life here. You go through all that, but don't bother to pick up the most globally useful and relevant language?
    Last edited by Raymone; 02-07-2014 at 03:05 PM.