Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Google

Default Will Google

[QUOTE][I][B]
    Google

Default Re: Will Google

No but it will maintain the status quo as fidelity increases. Current cable speeds are more than enough for our current resolution of streaming audio, video, and gaming services.

Why do people need such excessive download speeds? I have 1mb per second and its plenty. Not too long ago I was peaking at 25kbps, may God rest dial-up's soul.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    No but it will maintain the status quo as fidelity increases. Current cable speeds are more than enough for our current resolution of streaming audio, video, and gaming services.
    They really aren't. Many households have several people on the internet at the same time. Two people playing an online game, two people streaming video, and four phones browsing through wifi... plus downloading a movie. I need all the speed I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Why do people need such excessive download speeds? I have 1mb per second and its plenty. Not too long ago I was peaking at 25kbps, may God rest dial-up's soul.
    I'm downloading a movie at 100mbps, where is the bandwidth for all the other people in the house? I need more speed.

300 bucks for at least 7 years of free Internet? Sign me up!..... oh wait, I'm in Canada

I once spent a month downloading 1 gigabyte on dial-up

Back in the good old days when downloading meant something.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    They really aren't. Many households have several people on the internet at the same time. Two people playing an online game, two people streaming video, and four phones browsing through wifi... plus downloading a movie. I need all the speed I can get.
    Shit I only have 2 people in my house and the max speed we can get from AT&T still doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
    Shit I only have 2 people in my house and the max speed we can get from AT&T still doesn't cut it.
    What's your max speed?

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    300 bucks for at least 7 years of free Internet? Sign me up!..... oh wait, I'm in Canada
    Google engineers have been working on Fiber within Canada for the past 3 or so years now, and are continuing to do so. Engineers from Waterloo, ON have played a significant role in it's early development and rollout.

Infact, many companies in Canada are working on it. Some provide top business with fiber optic technology already. Some lucky towns in Alberta have also been enjoying it for a few years now aswell. In some areas Telus provides "fiber like" internet plans. etc etc.

http://business.financialpost.com/20..._lsa=b460-a7a3
    http://www.cantechletter.com/2014/03...coming-canada/
    http://www.cantechletter.com/2013/05...dian-town0523/

Of course the Canadian government tends to have a stick up its ass when it comes to any sort of development in telecommunications. But if there heads are in the right places, you may see fiber be rolled out nationally maybe even sooner than the US adopts it (or at least more convenient widespread adoption).

I'm close to Waterloo so I'm looking forward to it. Although I've got unlimited 20mbps right now for 70/month so I'm happy at the moment anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    I'm close to Waterloo so I'm looking forward to it. Although I've got unlimited 20mbps right now for 70/month so I'm happy at the moment anyway.
    'At the moment'

What does that even mean? How could you not be satisfied with UNLIMITED

?

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    I'm downloading a movie at 100mbps, where is the bandwidth for all the other people in the house? I need more speed.
    Several people can stream and game on basic cable speeds. If someone wants to download an mkv in 5 minutes then there'll be a problem, but you can clip your d/l speed and wait 30 minutes instead of 5 so everyone can stream and game.

That being said I would love raking in a Blu-Ray in 3 minutes with Google Fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    If someone wants to download an mkv in 5 minutes then there'll be a problem,.
    I do. Or an entire season of a TV show. Or an entire TV series.

Speed!

You do know it's illegal to download TV shows