Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Rubio Doesn't Want To Go To Memphis or OKC?

words mean nothing?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Another ignorant post.

Memphis holds his rights until they trade it, which is possible, or simply decide to renounce it, which is highly unlikely.
    Actually No.

When Rubio's contract expires in Spain in 2012, and he decides he wants to come to the United States and play in the NBA, if the Grizzlies do not renounce his rights he can sue them, but I highly doubt the NBA would allow it to get to that point without intervening.

But this is assuming he never wants to play a game for Memphis.

Once again, Go eat ****.

Bucks fan

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Memphis doesn't hold his draft rights forever, because once his Euro contract is up he is able to avoid the rookie contracts because technically hes a free agent.If it gets to that point he can come over in 2012 where he can negotiate his own deal like as a FA.
    This is inaccurate. Memphis holds his rights forever, unless he lets a year elapse where he plays no professional basketball anywhere in the world.

Actually No.

When Rubio's contract expires in Spain in 2012, and he decides he wants to come to the United States and play in the NBA, if the Grizzlies do not renounce his rights he can sue them, but I highly doubt the NBA would allow it to get to that point without intervening.

But this is assuming he never wants to play a game for Memphis.

Once again, Go eat ****.
    Sue them for what again?

And if that was the case, then players would sign a 1 or 2 year contract in Europe/Asia/Australia/Southern America or even the ABA/CBA, play it out, and then get to choose where they want to play. Dumbass.

Bucks fan

Actually No.

When Rubio's contract expires in Spain in 2012, and he decides he wants to come to the United States and play in the NBA, if the Grizzlies do not renounce his rights he can sue them
    You can attempt to sue anyone for anything. If I wanted to waste my time and money I could try to sue you for this post.

Are you saying that there is actual legal precedent for such a suit? If so, share it.

National High School Star

Dejan Bodiroga, perhaps the greatest European player of the last 25 years NOT to play in the NBA was drafted by the Kings in 1995. They attempted to get him over to the USA several times, most notably during the C-Webb years when he might just have been the piece to push them over the top. He never did come, for a variety of reasons. The point is that he's now 36 and retired, and yet the Kings still hold his rights, because they hadn't bothered to renounce them. He still couldn't sign a 10-day contract with the Clippers without the Kings renouncing his rights.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    This is inaccurate. Memphis holds his rights forever, unless he lets a year elapse where he plays no professional basketball anywhere in the world.
    Are you sure about this? I thought the rights are held in perpetuity unless renounced.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    And Memphis is going to allow him to do this?

We arent that stupid and we arent desperate for Rubio, there is no way we go into this situation and try to force it and end up wasting a pick and getting screwed down the line when he may be an even better player.

We'll trade his rights long before then, because there will be a team interested in acquiring them.

There has to be some duration. I think it's against the law to have a contract that runs indefinately. Well, I shouldn't say "against the law"... but the contract would be "unenforceable" in a court of law after some period of time.

My guess would be 3 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Sue them for what again?

And if that was the case, then players would sign a 1 or 2 year contract in Europe/Asia/Australia/Southern America or even the ABA/CBA, play it out, and then get to choose where they want to play. Dumbass.

3/$10 Million with Houston.

Why didnt he make a minimum contract with a 1 year team option considering he was drafted at #55 in 2002 by San Antonio.

Euros can escape past the rookie contracts by doing so.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    There has to be some duration. I think it's against the law to have a contract that runs indefinately. Well, I shouldn't say "against the law"... but the contract would be "unenforceable" in a court of law after some period of time.

It's not a contract, though. It's his rights. Nothing against the law about it. They own his rights when they draft him and everyone that applies for the NBA draft accepts that rule when they enter the draft.

Bucks fan

What is your legal background? I sign contracts that run in perpetuity all the time. How could the business world operate at all if it was impossible to sign long term contracts?

3/$10 Million with Houston.

Why didnt he make a minimum contract with a 1 year team option considering he was drafted at #55 in 2002 by San Antonio.

Euros can escape past the rookie contracts by doing so.
    Same happened with Marko Jaric signing in the 2002 summer after being drafted in 2000. His overseas contract had not expired.

What you said before, and what you say now doesn't do anything. GTFO if you don't know **** about holding rights to overseas players and stop talking out of your ass.

If we draft Rubio #2 are you telling me we're going to bring him off the bench?
    We're not using 2 PG's anymore, we learned under Lowry/Conley and it took Lowry being traded for Conley to begin to emerge and become more confident.

If Rubio goes to Memphis, we trade Conley. No questions.

Westbrook slides over to the 2, hes an undersized slasher and could excel off the ball with Rubio throwing lobs.

Thats why they are on the list, if they could draft Rubio they wouldn't have to resign either.

Brooks is a solid scorer but he can be more effective coming off the bench changing the pace with his speed and ability to get to the basket.
    Rubio fits perfectly as a defensive minded pass first PG who could flow their offense.

Brown is an undersized SG, not a PG.
    Farmar is a scoring guard, nothing about him suggests he can lead a team at PG.
    Fisher is an interesting case because he did play some 2 with Utah,and could come off the bench in a 6th Man role which would be better considering his age.
    rubio is not going to okc either

Banned

Yet people dont understand this.

After his contract is up in 2012, he literally becomes a Free Agent.

If he wants to come to the NBA, and Memphis says "Only if you play for us" he has legal grounds to file a lawsuit due to Memphis blocking him from playing without him being paid.

Jamaal Tinsley is being blocked by the Pacers from playing or being around the team but hes still being paid his $6 Million Dollar salary because his salary is guranteed.

But neither party is going to allow it to get to that point.