Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
UDøNIS

Exclamation Do not open this thread if you're allergic to thinking

I love learning because when you learn new things, you are able to view the world through a different lens. Our perceptions and understandings of the world are a result of the lenses that we choose to wear.

If you get really into photography, the world starts looking more like your own giant canvas. You start noticing the funny shapes and things that shadows begin to do, focusing in on the interesting changes that lighting does for mood.

When you study philosophy, the lens you view the world through is that of asking questions. Every question asked will lead to another question, and then another question, and then another. Daily phrases and conversations with fellow carbon-based life forms will be broken down in your head to figure out the validity of the arguments being provided.

Well right now I'm taking on the lens of chemistry. I personally am a huge fan of viewing the world through the eyes of a biologist, chemist, or physicist. Here's a short excerpt that should speak for itself:

"The impact of chemistry on your personal, everyday life is mind-boggling. Consider what the beginning of a typical day might look like from a chemical point of view. Molecules align in the liquid crystal display of your clock and electrons flow to create a noise.

A cascade of neuronal activators arouses your brain, and you throw off a thermal insulator of manufactured polymer and jump in the shower to emulsify fatty substances on your skin and hair with purified water and formulated detergents. Then, you adorn yourself in an array of processed chemicals -- pleasant-smelling pigmented materials suspended in cosmetic gels, dyed polymeric fibers, synthetic footwear, and metal-alloyed jewelry.

Breakfast is a bowl of nutrient-enriched, spoilage-retarded cereal and milk, a piece of fertilizer-grown, pesticide-treated fruit, and a cup of hot aqueous solution of stimulating alkaloid. After abrading your teeth with artificially flavored, dental-hardening agents in a colloidal dispersion, you're ready to leave.

You grab your laptop (an electronic device containing ultrathin, microetched semiconductor layers powered by a series of voltaic cells), collect some books (processed cellulose and plastic, electronically printed with light- and oxygen-resistant inks), hop in your hydrocarbon-fueled, metal-vinyl-ceramic vehicle, electrically ignite a synchronized series of controlled gaseous explosions, and you're off to class!

Perhaps the significance of chemistry is most profound when you contemplate the chemical nature of biology. Molecular events taking place within you right now allow your eyes to scan this page and your brain cells to translate fluxes of electric charge into thoughts. The most vital biological questions -- How did life arise and evolve? How does an organism reproduce, grow, and age? What is the essence of health and disease? -- ultimately have chemical answers.

As you comprehend chemistry's ideas, your mind's eye will learn to see the hidden level of the universe, one filled with incredibly minute particles moving at fantastic speeds, colliding billions of times a second, and interacting in ways that determine how all the matter inside and outside of you behaves. Woah."

Meditate on it.

Last edited by UDøNIS : 06-11-2009 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 06-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
UDøNIS

Default Re: Do not open this thread if you're allergic to thinking

^ twin peaks ^
Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
iamgine

I ignore the warning and now my allergy is acting up...crap!
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
unbreakable
National High School Star

cool stuff. So how do you go about studying chemistry on your own? Philosophy is simply to study.... but Chemistry is a little tougher....
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

what is amazing is that even the examples there are nothing to the interactions happening in the universe. there are a million chemical reactions happening in your body every second. dna is being replicated constantly, proteins are being made. it really shows the limitations of the human brain when it comes to working out these countless reactions within the same time frame. balancing a single chemical reaction takes several seconds to a couple of minutes. in nature it takes less than a second.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDøNIS
I love learning because when you learn new things, you are able to view the world through a different lens. Our perceptions and understandings of the world are a result of the lenses that we choose to wear.

If you get really into photography, the world starts looking more like your own giant canvas. You start noticing the funny shapes and things that shadows begin to do, focusing in on the interesting changes that lighting does for mood.

When you study philosophy, the lens you view the world through is that of asking questions. Every question asked will lead to another question, and then another question, and then another. Daily phrases and conversations with fellow carbon-based life forms will be broken down in your head to figure out the validity of the arguments being provided.

Well right now I'm taking on the lens of chemistry. I personally am a huge fan of viewing the world through the eyes of a biologist, chemist, or physicist. Here's a short excerpt that should speak for itself:

"The impact of chemistry on your personal, everyday life is mind-boggling. Consider what the beginning of a typical day might look like from a chemical point of view. Molecules align in the liquid crystal display of your clock and electrons flow to create a noise.

A cascade of neuronal activators arouses your brain, and you throw off a thermal insulator of manufactured polymer and jump in the shower to emulsify fatty substances on your skin and hair with purified water and formulated detergents. Then, you adorn yourself in an array of processed chemicals -- pleasant-smelling pigmented materials suspended in cosmetic gels, dyed polymeric fibers, synthetic footwear, and metal-alloyed jewelry.

Breakfast is a bowl of nutrient-enriched, spoilage-retarded cereal and milk, a piece of fertilizer-grown, pesticide-treated fruit, and a cup of hot aqueous solution of stimulating alkaloid. After abrading your teeth with artificially flavored, dental-hardening agents in a colloidal dispersion, you're ready to leave.

You grab your laptop (an electronic device containing ultrathin, microetched semiconductor layers powered by a series of voltaic cells), collect some books (processed cellulose and plastic, electronically printed with light- and oxygen-resistant inks), hop in your hydrocarbon-fueled, metal-vinyl-ceramic vehicle, electrically ignite a synchronized series of controlled gaseous explosions, and you're off to class!

Perhaps the significance of chemistry is most profound when you contemplate the chemical nature of biology. Molecular events taking place within you right now allow your eyes to scan this page and your brain cells to translate fluxes of electric charge into thoughts. The most vital biological questions -- How did life arise and evolve? How does an organism reproduce, grow, and age? What is the essence of health and disease? -- ultimately have chemical answers.

As you comprehend chemistry's ideas, your mind's eye will learn to see the hidden level of the universe, one filled with incredibly minute particles moving at fantastic speeds, colliding billions of times a second, and interacting in ways that determine how all the matter inside and outside of you behaves. Woah."

Meditate on it.

i <3 you.

chemistry fascinates me. since studying neurophysiology, i have been thinking a lot about the chemical cascades that are found in our brain and body. you're right, it does give you a new perspective on human existence, evolution, your own existence... a whole gamut of issues really.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

The idea and relation of chemistry to the natural world and human nature has always fascinated me. However, the actually study of it, in the two high school classes I've been in, is pretty tedious and uninteresting to me. Maybe once you get past all the beginners stuff calculating enthalpy and all that other crap it becomes intersting again. But a combination of the curriculum and my teacher has caused me to shy away from it in college.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

ah choo
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
RidonKs
NBA Legend

It's sad how little I thought about the constitution of our world in the past. I took all business classes in high school, planned on attending commerce since I was 10, and enrolled two and a half years ago in the first program I could find that accepted me. I had no passion for finance whatsoever, but I naturally (and as I would find out, foolishly) assumed that's what I would do. It's incredible how little thought I gave it. I've since ditched that aspect of academia, and apart from small dabs of economic theory here and there, it's a field that I don't ever plan on revisiting.

But I never did take any real science courses past, say, grade 9. And I don't remember anything about my Jr High (6-9) schooling, so at the moment, or I suppose a few months ago, my building foundation in the hard sciences was nonexistant.

And then recently I made my first forray into theoretical physics with what, from what I understand, is pretty widely regarded as the most popular way to do it; A Brief History of Time. There was a point about 6-7 pages into the first chapter, called Our Picture of the Universe. And my, well, almost an epiphany for me, even though to others that might seem foolish, occurred while I was reading about, you guessed it, Newton's ****ing universal laws of motion. Some of the most foundational and "basic" (for lack of a better world) scientific theories in the world. I was reading in my car during a lunch break, and I just kind of sat there, and literally, not making this up, dropped my book down onto the floor of the car, watching it fall - what I had taken for granted my entire life, this "law" that needed no explaining nor justification, the simple fact of life that we all know as gravity, was transformed from "things fall" into "I'm sitting on a giant ball that just sucked my book towards its core". I sat there, and I pondered it a little moe - the sheer scale of this enormous ball of mass that we take for granted each and every day.

I don't get hit like this very often - it's an incredible thing to have new horizons open up to you, like looking into the curtains of a window just as they're pulled open to see the beautiful outdoors. I guess that's what we all go through when we learn - but it's a rare moment to be smacked stupid in the face with discovery, and then to sit and ponder.

I'm sure I'll get to chemistry soon, and I'll continue to experience everything I just explained all over again. Engaging philosophy creates the same emotions, and the same sense of wonder. Right now I'll stick with black holes, curved spacetime, and - you guessed it - gravity.

Last edited by RidonKs : 06-11-2009 at 02:18 PM.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

I'm sort of experiencing this but in a vastly different way. I'm starting to read the Bible, and I've read Genesis, but on the advice of my friends I'm reading Mathew, gotten to chapter 16. It's, in a way, amazing to finally read the Biblical stories that you've heard since you were a child in the Bible itself, it felt quite surreal. Also, I was astounded as to how much embellishment went into the modern tellings of the stories, like that journey of the 3 Magi, in the Bible it's covered in about 10 to 15 lines, but the subject of it is humongous. And Jesus's miracles, like walking on water and casting the demons out into the pigs, you always hear about them, maybe even heard people quote the passage, but reading it for yourself is an entirely different thing.

[Completely unrelated] Since I do Classical civilisation, a subject here about Greek and Roman worlds, I've got, right now in front of me on my desk, the Aeneid, the Odyssey and the Bible, 3 hugely inspirational and monumental books of Western literature, just lying here on my desk......

^^ I'm doing Chemistry for the next two years, and I've got my chemistry exam next Wednesday, it's going to be fun

Quote:

Meditate on it.

I raise you this:

From my understanding of collision theory, all particles bang around into each other, but within a reaction, if you increase the temperature, you will increase the kinetic energy and therefore speed of each particles, and thereby there will be more collisions per second, and thus raise the reaction rate. Also, the increased speed means that the particles, when they hit, are more likely more energy than the activation energy, allowing a reaction to happen and raising reaction rate.

And within a reversible reaction, raising the temperature increases the endothermic reaction, increasing the pressure favors the side with fewer moles, and a catalyst just raises the reaction rate.

Last edited by brantonli : 06-11-2009 at 03:14 PM.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
KOLBCTEW
HellMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDøNIS

Meditate on it.
Aww damn..
KOLBCTEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
tr3bla
I brick open layups

It seems all good and fun looking at it macroscopically but when you actually study chemistry or any other sciences in depth, it takes a lot of painstaking hours of technical jumbo that makes appreciating the interconnectedness of chemistry to our lives difficult.
tr3bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
UDøNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by playtetris
i <3 you.

chemistry fascinates me. since studying neurophysiology, i have been thinking a lot about the chemical cascades that are found in our brain and body. you're right, it does give you a new perspective on human existence, evolution, your own existence... a whole gamut of issues really.

If it weren't for you I probably wouldn't even have posted this, your request to post more inspired me to actually try and do just that haha.

I'm glad to see a positive response from a lot of you guys...I will try and get in on the discussions a bit more...gotta go watch the Lakers Magic game for now.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #14
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Astronomy is the field that really knocks me on my ass and opens my eyes. The shear scale of the universe is impossible for me to wrap my mind around. I am consistently amazed by the stars, nebulas, planets, black holes, supernovas, galaxies, and the list goes on.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #15
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

I don't think this thread delivers.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: