Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default natural no-soap bathing, the way to go?

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/01/04...Boing+Boing%29

[quote]I stopped using soap a year ago. It was easily one of the best moves I've ever made in my entire flippin' life.

About this time last year I read an article (which Mark mentioned here as well) extolling the virtues of a soap-free bathing experience. TL;DR version: Your body is designed to regulate itself. Smearing chemicals all over it wrecks its own built-in processes, and screws with naturally balanced pH levels. This made sense to me and I thought I'd give it a shot for a month.

At the beginning of February 2010, I blogged about the results I'd seen so far. I didn't stink at all (confirmed by friends, family and random people I ended up sitting next to on various forms of public transit), my skin felt better, oily and dry patches had all but disappeared and the light dandruff I'd had my entire life was almost gone. I was pleased with the results of my month experiment and decided I'd run with it for a while longer. As of January 1, 2011: it's been a year now, and I can't imagine ever going back.

More on the results I've seen: As I just mentioned, my skin feels better than ever before. Not that it ever felt bad, really, but it feels awesome now. Still no stink at all, I swear even when I'm really active and sweating I don't notice any B.O., and I used to be

Default Re: natural no-soap bathing, the way to go?

Hmm, I might give it a shot. Does this include not use shampoo for hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Hmm, I might give it a shot. Does this include not use shampoo for hair?
    Yeah. You still bathe regularly, just don't use soap or shampoo. Apparently you will get pretty funky during the adjustment period where your body tries to regulate itself, but once that happens, the blogger says it's all good from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Yeah. You still bathe regularly, just don't use soap or shampoo. Apparently you will get pretty funky during the adjustment period where your body tries to regulate itself, but once that happens, the blogger says it's all good from there.
    Any idea how long it takes to regulate itself? This is interesting, I'm gonna try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    So he showers regularly, but only with water?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard
    Any idea how long it takes to regulate itself? This is interesting, I'm gonna try it.
    Not sure, but it doesn't work for everybody apparently.

The second link found here

So, I guess, take this with a grain of salt. I'm merely reporting on my own experience.

I haven't used soap or shampoo anyplace on my body for six months, save hand washing in advance of food prep. That's it. let me just report my observations and leave you to judge.

* Took about two weeks to normalize. That is, I felt my hair was greasy and skin oily up to then.
    * Now it's intermittent. It's perhaps a function of water hardness, but sometimes skin and hair feel squeaky clean, and other times indeterminate.
    * Even when I feel greasy/oily in the shower with just water, once everything dies out, it's always all the same -- fine; soft & dry.
    * My skin & hair have never been softer. Never.
    * If anything, my hair is less "greasy" than ever, yet shampoo hasn't touched it in over six months.
    * Private parts. Have to address this, of course. This is the biggest benefit of all. Surprised? You'll just have to try it, because I'm not going to elaborate. That's why they call them "private parts." OK, a clue: maybe it's the constant cleansing that's the cause of the sweaty-stinky problem in the first place? If for nothing else, I'm soap free for life on this point alone. I feel as though I've been scammed -- and liberated. I can't explain further. You'll just have to try.
    * You'll save a lot of money, especially you chicks. Grils: you can Google about no shampoo. Lotsa links.

I could go on, but ultimately you're gonna self-experiment or not. But if you do, give it at least a month. Weirdness cleared up for me in two weeks or less, but we're not all the same. I suspect that women who wash furiously and slather all manner of lotions might take a year or two to normalize.
    Last edited by Showtime; 01-05-2011 at 05:24 PM.

The ***** is the thing I would be most worried about. He doesn't elaborate if he is circumcised or not. The foreskin is known to harbor infections and different dirty things. I am skeptical about not washing properly, especially when the guy is too timid to go into sordid details.

I can vouch for the no shampooing though. My hair is fine, it goes through greasy periods, and then dry periods. It's self regulating. It helps living next to an ocean, and swimming in the sea a few times a week.

One question, why is shampoo called shampoo? edit: it's a Hindu word.

Also, from wiki:
    'No-Poo' Movement

Closely associated with environmentalism, the 'No poo' movement consists of people rejecting the societal norm of daily or almost daily shampoo use.
    [edit]Theory
    Shampoo has only been used with fervor since the 1970s. Before then, either regular soap was used a few times a month or, just after the early 20th century, shampoo was used only a few times a year. It was in the 1970s that shampoo use became prevalent. Ads featuring Farrah Fawcett and Christie Brinkley asserted that it was unhealthy not to shampoo several times a week. This mindset is reinforced by the greasy feeling of the scalp after a day or two of not shampooing. Using shampoo every day removes sebum, the oil produced by the scalp. This causes the sebaceous glands to produce oil at a higher rate, to compensate for what is lost during shampooing. According to some dermatologists, a gradual reduction in shampoo use will cause the sebum glands to produce at a slower rate, resulting in less grease in the scalp.[17
    ]
    Last edited by Hondo; 01-05-2011 at 05:40 PM.

How about washing my a$$ with soap after i took a big dump?

Should i just wash it with water?

man oh man

I've done something like that all my life.

I shower daily, and use shampoo, but I don't use soap, there's really no need to. Like the guy says, there are no issues with odour, and my skin feels great.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    How about washing my a$$ with soap after i took a big dump?

Should i just wash it with water?

man oh man
    You could start by wiping it properly.

He shoots, he bricks. Mr. Grieves's Avatar

Sounds like the skunk just got use to his own smell.

Doesn't even notice B.O. lol. This is bull, it's one man's opinion. Need outside eyes to say if he stinks or not, normally and when breaking a sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grieves
    Sounds like the skunk just got use to his own smell.

Doesn't even notice B.O. lol. This is bull, it's one man's opinion. Need outside eyes to say if he stinks or not, normally and when breaking a sweat.
    He got the idea from this blog: http://freetheanimal.com/

Apparently, the guy is married, and his wife hasn't noticed that he stinks. There are also a ton of comments on the subject from people who have tried it.

High School Varsity 6th Man Naruto-sama's Avatar

i'm sure you could get away with it but there is a reason why most people bathe and clean themself with soap. Anti bacterial soap kills germs, bacteria and regular soap loosens them from the skin so they'll wash off with water. just rinsing won't get rid of grime or oily hair unless you are scrubbing with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-sama
    i'm sure you could get away with it but there is a reason why most people bathe and clean themself with soap. Anti bacterial soap kills germs, bacteria and regular soap loosens them from the skin so they'll wash off with water.
    That's why we have immune systems. People didn't bathe with Axe body wash for centuries and they seemed just fine. We do know a lot more about bacteria, so we can treat diseases and our eating habits and preparation have improved, so I doubt if you bathe every day without soap that you would be constantly sick. And your mouth is one of the most bacteria-infested areas of your body, and not everybody is obsessed with using scope twice a day.

just rinsing won't get rid of grime or oily hair unless you are scrubbing with something.
    The point is that your body will reduce it's production of oils to a normal level. If you are essentially removing all oils every day, and your body is trying to compensate, then your body is over-compensating all the time by producing more oils than necessary.