Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Default Bsod

So I've been getting the BSOD for the past couple of days and my PC only works on Safe Mode now. Need some help. I know there's a few of you that know about this.

What's the best solution to fix this? I know nothing about PC's, but I read something about reformatting the hard drive. Is that pretty much wiping the slate clean with my PC?
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
code green
C's Fan since Dee

Default Re: Bsod

Si. But i'd recommend trying a System Restore first.

EDIT: Sounds like a driver problem to me. Did you recently add any hardware to the computer?
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

System Restore sucks when things work well since it is just a virus hangout.

My suggestion always is blowing it up and reinstalling the whole new Windows.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by code green
Si. But i'd recommend trying a System Restore first.

EDIT: Sounds like a driver problem to me. Did you recently add any hardware to the computer?

System Restore to a previous restore point? Yeah I've tried that and it still happens. Haven't added any hardware, just maybe a few programs here and there.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
My suggestion always is blowing it up and reinstalling the whole new Windows.

That's the problem. My PC already came with Vista installed in it, so I'd have to manage to get a copy somewhere. I think a friend of mine can download Windows 7 through a torrent. Do you recommend Windows 7 instead?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
chungerball
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
That's the problem. My PC already came with Vista installed in it, so I'd have to manage to get a copy somewhere. I think a friend of mine can download Windows 7 through a torrent. Do you recommend Windows 7 instead?

Is there a second partition containing a restore partition? This partition contains all of the original windows settings so you can reformat it basically to the condition you bought it. You can right click on my computer and select manage. There, you can see all of your disk partitions.

Edit: If you do have a recovery partition, you can start up your computer and depending on your computer brand, you can recover your preset factory operating system. But you will lose all of your data, so you want to backup everything before you do this because this is the last resort.

Last edited by chungerball : 11-12-2010 at 03:46 PM.
chungerball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungerball
Is there a second partition containing a restore partition? This partition contains all of the original windows settings so you can reformat it basically to the condition you bought it. You can right click on my computer and select manage. There, you can see all of your disk partitions.

Edit: If you do have a recovery partition, you can start up your computer and depending on your computer brand, you can recover your preset factory operating system. But you will lose all of your data, so you want to backup everything before you do this because this is the last resort.

Yeah you're speaking French to me. I don't think I have that option. What I did notice was when I clicked on My Computer, my flash card drive was showing as still being installed when I didn't have it on any usb port. It's been a while since I've used a flash drive and I just remembered you have to right click on it and properly eject it. Do you think this may have been the problem?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

Quote:

Yes, yes I would.

Just make sure its installed by someone that knows what he's doing. Otherwise you'll have a bunch of problems right off the bat.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Abd El-Krim
Decent college freshman

Google the error code, most times that will lead you towards a solution.
Abd El-Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Install this: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

After booting from your next BSoD, run it, and see what it says. It identifies what component caused your crash if it was a software issue. Then, you can uninstall the offending software and get on with your life. If it can't find anything then it's likely a hardware issue of some sort.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Dwade305
el pollo loco siiiiiii

Quote:
Yeah you're speaking French to me. I don't think I have that option. What I did notice was when I clicked on My Computer, my flash card drive was showing as still being installed when I didn't have it on any usb port. It's been a while since I've used a flash drive and I just remembered you have to right click on it and properly eject it. Do you think this may have been the problem?

What he is saying is your probably have a recovery partition since you OS is Vista. This is basically the same thing as having copy cd, they both wipe and reinstall

You can usually access this partition by pressing F11 as soon as you boot up. Depends on your Brand and model, look it up.
Dwade305 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: