Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: The night of (HBO)

What a great show Sad it had to come to an end

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Seeing that cat was a great finale to that show.

turturro killed that closing statement. got damn, give him an emmy consideration. def a tension filled episode after the prosecution flat out buried nas. the moment she forced his hand and got him to say 'i don't know'...wasn't sure if they would recover from that.

v. good season, thought after the first 3-4 episodes, it would be more of a social commentary before it sort of dove into some prison cliches. that said, it is rikers island so i can forgive that somewhat. also, do they not drug test in during trials or is it too expensive? now nas is a full blown drug addict. the chandra/nas thing was a bit....far fetched. i don't see any lawyer in a high profile case doing that, young or not.

also, how was the lack of blood on his clothing never brought up? if you stab somebody that many times, your clothes are going to have all kinds of blood spatter on it. being nitpicky now but how that wasn't mentioned once sort of bothers me. like i said, v. good show that could have been slightly better with some tweaks. the acting was pretty top notch

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Two hours listed time, and closer to an hour forty when it finished, seemed too long, even for a finale, but when it was done I felt like they cut it together to work. Still probably could've used two full episodes. But that would've probably meant more closure on the real killer. Which by the way, the fact that there was access to those extra cameras, and they didn't actually look at them, seems super neglectful. Even by the defending lawyers.

Nas was great. Turturro was great. Nas' mother turned in a subtle, but super performance. Detective Box I felt like was extremely well put together. I missed a closure scene with Omar. The run through other possible suspects was really well done, especially considering none of them actually did it. It was a nice way to explore reasonable doubt. I did feel like they sort of sold out Chandra's character. The kiss was bad enough. Her regret over it, almost instantly after seeing the camera, makes it extra odd for her to then smuggle in narcotics for him. And by chance I guess the cameras were off for that? Her storming out of the courtroom at the close of the case was a little short of an ending. I could've used more closure on her. She'd been through quite a bit on her own as well.

I wonder if these was forcibly reassembled as a two hour finale post production, in order to hit HBO's weird edict that they won't show their Sunday night premium stuff on long weekends, seeing as this coming Sunday is a long weekend. Because it feels like this would've played better had it been re-edited and presented in two pieces.

ya, the CCTV was another issue, but we are talking about a show where a somewhat fly by night lawyer is spying on a suspect and slamming him into a wall

i get stone was threatened first and physically at that, but i mean...again, i don't see a lawyer behaving this way all the time.

i'd give it an 8.5/10. it's entertaining and worth a watch. highly recommended but it didn't have the same impact to me as the first season of true detective...or hell, the wire, even though it started off a bit bumpy, it always felt like something big was going down.

about to finish up the second half of the first season of mr robot. then gonna start stranger things. should i be excited?
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 08-29-2016 at 08:47 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

SPOILER ALERT

Great show, but the thing that really doesn't make sense to me is assuming the financial adviser was the killer, why would he point Stone in the direction of the stepdad in the first place? Why create more doubt around the murder leading to more investigation that could point to him, when everyone seems pretty convinced it was Naz? More importantly, if the stepdad was accused as a result of the financial advisers information and he knew about their relationship, he could easily just reveal their relationship and shine a light on him as a suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    ya, the CCTV was another issue, but we are talking about a show where a somewhat fly by night lawyer is spying on a suspect and slamming him into a wall

i get stone was threatened first and physically at that, but i mean...again, i don't see a lawyer behaving this way all the time.

i'd give it an 8.5/10. it's entertaining and worth a watch. highly recommended but it didn't have the same impact to me as the first season of true detective...or hell, the wire, even though it started off a bit bumpy, it always felt like something big was going down.

about to finish up the second half of the first season of mr robot. then gonna start stranger things. should i be excited?
    Yeah, generally speaking, I really wonder just how much investigating a defense attorney does of a case. Especially while it's actively on trial. I know they have to compress some of this information for narrative purposes, but I don't recall any cases being made by lawyers while they were trying cases. And it would seem to me that would be information gathered by a professional Private Investigator, paid for by the attorney's office, and is part of why PI's have to be licensed. I can't imagine how much of what they gathered would even be permissible in court.

You've got some good TV in front of you there.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    SPOILER ALERT

Great show, but the thing that really doesn't make sense to me is assuming the financial adviser was the killer, why would he point Stone in the direction of the stepdad in the first place? Why create more doubt around the murder leading to more investigation that could point to him, when everyone seems pretty convinced it was Naz? More importantly, if the stepdad was accused as a result of the financial advisers information and he knew about their relationship, he could easily just reveal their relationship and shine a light on him as a suspect.
    These are both good questions. Hiding a big secret like this for this long in a narrative is bound to cause some questionable motives looing backward at behavior. I know there were some similar questions during True Detective season one, but I don't remember what they were at the moment.

Home of the 16

Is it possible that there are truths? Being the financial adviser linked to other known suspects aside from the stepdad?

on the 7th episode, hopefully i'll finish it today. enjoying it thus far.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

While I did like it...I also thought it kind of fell apart during the 3rd act.