According to game-tracking website VGChartz, sales of Nintendo's pop-culture phenom Wii Sports have surpassed those of legendary platformer Super Mario Bros., making the breakout Wii title the best-selling video game of all time. And it only took two years and two months to do it.
The data is based on cumulative worldwide sales figures ending the week of December 27, 2008, which indicate that lifetime sales of Wii Sports have exceeded Mario's staggering 40.24 million units.
Shocked? Don't be. Unlike most video games that can be bought at retail, Wii Sports comes bundled with the Wii hardware in every territory other than Japan and Korea. In other words, if you bought a Wii, you bought Wii Sports whether you liked it or not (chances are, you liked it). With over 45 million Wiis sold worldwide to date, it's only logical that Wii Sports would start smashing records sooner or later.
The 20 best-selling console games, not originally bundled.
1. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Game Boy – 20.08 million approximately: 10.23 million in Japan, 9.85 million in US)
2. Nintendogs (DS – 20.03 million, all 5 versions combined)
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES – 18 million)
4. Wii Play (Wii – 16.15 million)
5. New Super Mario Bros. (DS – 15.89 million)
6. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 – 14.89 million shipped)
7. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS – 14.77 million)
8. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy Color – 14.51 million approximately: 7.6 million in US, 6.91 million in Japan)
9. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (DS – 14.48 million)
10. Super Mario Land (Game Boy – 14 million)
11. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (GBA – 13 million)
12. Mario Kart DS (DS – 12.12 million)
13. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (DS – 12.03 million)
14. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 – 12 million)
15. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (GBA – 11.82 million)
16. Super Mario 64 (N64 – 11 million)
17. Gran Turismo (PS1 – 10.85 million shipped)
18. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES – 10 million)
19. Final Fantasy VII (PS1 – 9.8 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)
20. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS – 9.53 million), Mario Kart Wii (Wii – 9.53 million)
Games that were originally bundled at launch and have sold or shipped at least ten million copies.
* Super Mario Bros. (NES – 40.23 million)
* Tetris (Game Boy – 33 million)
* Wii Sports (Wii – 30.87 million)(packaged with system in all regions except Japan
* Super Mario World (SNES – 20 million)