Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Head to Head Comparisons

Every year there seem to be players who are matched up for a pick and whoever finishes ahead gets that pick, while the player who loses out may drop 2 to 10 spots. These are some player vs. player matchups that I think could effect the lottery and who gets a 1st round pick and who doesn't. I was just wondering who/why will picked higher.

Battle for #1: Greg Oden vs. Kevin Durant

Battle for Top PF: Brandon Wright vs. Al Horford

Most Versitile Bigman: Yi Jianlian vs. Joakim Noah

3-Way Best Swingman Battle: Julian Wright vs. Corey Brewer vs. Jeff Green

Battle for Top PG: Mike Conley Jr. vs. Acie Law IV

Battle for 2nd Best C: Roy Hibbert vs. Spencer Hawes

3-Way Battle for 2nd-Tier Swingman: Al Thorton vs. Thaddeus Young vs. Nick Young

Battle for Top Foriegn SG: Marco Belinelli vs. Rudy Fernandez

5-Way Battle for Late 1st Round C: Jason Smith vs. Ante Tomic vs. Marc Gasol vs. Aaron Gray vs. Kyle Visser

Royal Rumble for Top Late 1st Round Swingman: Brandon Rush vs. Marcus Williams vs. Rodney Stucky vs. Alando Tucker vs. Arron Afflalo vs. Morris Almond vs. Daequan Cook vs. Trey Johnson

3-Way Battle for Top 1st Round Bubble SF: Derrick Byars vs. Dominic McGuire vs. Jared Dudley

3-Way Battle for Top 2nd Round PF: Herbert Hill vs. Nick Fazekas vs. Glen Davis

This is obviously for fun, but I am just interested to see how everyone thinks these battles either should turn out, or how they will turn out.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Head to Head Comparisons

Okay since no one wants to take the time to answer, I will just answer my own question.

I'd take Oden. Durant will be a great scorer, but Oden will effect the game much more. He will not only change almost every shot that comes into the paint, but he will draw double teams. He changes the game every time the ball is within 5 feet of him.

I'd take Wright. Horford is a good scorer and rebounder, but Wright has too much potential to pass up. He is already able to score with his back to the basket and facing it, and has a go-to offensive move with his little hook. He blocks a lot of shots, and grabs a lot of rebounds as well. Some people question his drive, but when he got going to UNC he would score 6 points, grab 2 boards, and block 2 shots in like 2 minutes. He had that ability take over the game as a Freshman.

Jianlian is clearly ahead at this point, and I like him better. These are two very different players, but both can play a couple different positions and do a lot of things on the court. Noah will be a good defender and an okay scorer, but Jianlian will change the game more because he will be hard to guard. He may never be as great, but you can see how Dirk and Yao just have such special size/talent combinations that you just can't stop them, and I think Jianlian may be that kind of player.

I'd take Brewer. I love Wright because he is a shut down defender at SF, but Brewer is a great defender that can defend not only the 2 and 3, but at times the 1 and 4. Green is solid all around, and is ready to help a team out now, but I just don't see the upside there.

Conley is clearly the top PG, but is Law good enough to be a starting combo-guard like Billups? With Conley you know you are getting the best passer in the draft, but with Law you are getting a good scorer, a good passer, and a clutch player. In Game 7 of a playoff series, Law could be very important and a great asset, but Conley is the type of guy that leads your team to that point, so I take him.

Hibbert pulled out, and now I think this increases Hawes draft spot 3 or 4 picks. All of a sudden he is the 2nd best true center in the draft, and every team is looking for a C it seems. This guy is the most talented scoring freshman big man in the draft, even over Oden and Wright. Any team that is looking to play uptempo and just try to outgun the other team, will give a long look at Hawes.

3-Way Battle for 2nd-Tier Swingman: Al Thorton vs. Thaddeus Young vs. Nick Young
Al Thorton seems to have jumped ahead, but I am starting to like Nick Young a lot. He is athletic, has good height, can score, defend, and shoot. I think Thorton and Thaddeus Young may be more versitile because they are 6-7/6-8 and could find a spot on a team a little easier, but Young, even at maybe only like 6-5, could be a really great SG.

I'd go with Belinelli. Fernandez has been on the radar for years, but Belinelli has the better potential and size.

5-Way Battle for Late 1st Round C: Jason Smith vs. Ante Tomic vs. Marc Gasol vs. Aaron Gray vs. Kyle Visser
Smith and Visser are both great scorers, and Gasol and Gray are gritty players, while Tomic is an unknown. Because of that I think I would lean towards Tomic. Smith is probably going the highest, but how much upside does he have? Tomic may never play in the NBA, but he may also be the next Krstic or Pachulia or Biendrins or someone that produces pretty well down the road. I guess late in the 1st round if I want a big man I would go with the risk.

Royal Rumble for Top Late 1st Round Swingman: Brandon Rush vs. Marcus Williams vs. Rodney Stucky vs. Alando Tucker vs. Arron Afflalo vs. Morris Almond vs. Daequan Cook vs. Trey Johnson
I was all about Rush, but Stucky has grown on me. At only 6-4 I still worry about him being a starting SG, but with his ability to score, defend, and pass, I think on the right team it would work. I still think Rush will be the top scorer out of these players, while Williams will be the most improved and become a good player in the NBA. Tucker will play and play a lot for many years, but I don't ever see him being more than a good 6th man. Afflalo will be around for a long time as well. If good rap is about good verses and beats, then basketball is about good scoring and defense, which Afflalo provides. Almond will be able to score in bunchs at times, but I just don't think he is on the level of the Richard Hamilton's and Steven Jackson's, and where does that leave him? When you are a pure scorer, but not a good enough scorer to be a go to option, that leaves you as a backup like Fred Jones. Cook has the potential, but I think has the most upside among all of these guys. He need to go back for another year, but if he does stay in the NBA, I do think he would be like Almond as an okay backup scorer. Johnson is along the same lines, but I seem him being a solid backup scorer at best.

3-Way Battle for Top 1st Round Bubble SF: Derrick Byars vs. Dominic McGuire vs. Jared Dudley
I love Dudley's game, and Byars seems to have jumped ahead, but I think McGuire will be the best out of the three. He is a very good defensive player, and while he isn't the scorer the other two are, he has more upside and better NBA height. I just give him the slight advantage because I think he offers an NBA team a different skill set while you can find a hundred players like Dudley and Byars.

I think Fazekas should be going well in the 1st round. He failled in the tournament again, but he is the best PF in the draft right now when it comes to scoring and rebounding. He will shock everyone if he lands on the right team by putting up numbers close to those of Horford and Noah. Hill will make a team a good backup rebounder and shot blocker, and I think Davis has the most upside, and if one of these guys was to be a big steal and become a long-term starter, it would be Davis.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Good stuff monthh. Why not post this stuff in the NBA forum? Hell I'm going to post it thete myself, with your name on it of course if you don't.

I don't know why then made a seperate draft formum anyway.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah post it in the NBA forum. I would chime in but in this forum it would fall on deaf ears.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

frankthetank966 has an OK reputation so far

I dont see Spencer Hawes being anything special. He is like the next Mark Bradley. Hibbert dropping out is a huge loss for Hawks fans. I thought he wouldve made up for us not getting #1.
frankthetank966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
joshk
i clog mad toilets

joshk has an OK reputation so far

Kevin Durant

Brandon Wright

Joakim Noah

Julian Wright

Mike Conely

Roy Hibbert
Al Thorton
Marco

Kyle Visser

Morris Almond

Jared Dudley
Glen Davis
joshk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: