Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Replace LeBron with Carmelo During the Heat Run

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    2011 Wade is taking a team with prime Carmelo and Bosh on it....to the Finals.

Period.

Fck outta here.
    maybe, maybe not. they still have to make up for losing their best player who lead them in ppg, apg and rpg and defended their best player.

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    How many championships? I really think they win more than just 2. Melo gets a lot of stick out there and yet, who are the best players HE has ever played with? He wouldn't backstab Wade in the first run, he wouldn't have choked against Jason Terry + Barea. I say 3 rings with Melo.
    I agree. 3 rings for sure.

Melo humiliated LeBron and his team full of stars just a few days ago.
    What help did he have ? His team's second best player was Quincy Acy

Melo is clearly a superior player. Head to head matchups show that. Unfortunately he doesn't have all the superstar help like Bran has.
    Also Bran gets much more help from the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Whats wrong w/ putting Melo with Steph, Blake, Davis, Dwight or Westbrook
    Curry - Warps defenses with his shooting, great handles and passing.

Griffin - Has improved in every regard, including mid-range jumpers, FT shooting, defense since his rookie year. The only things down are his box score statas, and that's based on the talent on the roster/opporunities.

Davis - Talking about him based on this season so far in addition to how he closed out last year, and how he looked in the World Championships (in case he stands out).

Dwight - Unquestionably better pre-injury, and looked 100% in the playoffs last year. Looks healthy this year, expecting him to look like a top 5 player.

Westbrook - Can defend 1-3 at a high level, not an elite passer but very, very good. Not far removed from Melo as a shooter/scorer.

Dude I won't even go there. Melo isn't a gamechanger. Great shooter and terrific scoring skillset overall, but those are all legitimate superstars. It's always pissed the hell out of me when people have put Melo among the super elite players in the league, NY deserves a legit top 5 player.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Melo's last 2 seasons are surely worthy of those list of players
    Cousins too based on this year BTW.

Have to disagree though. I don't get that impression from watching him.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Curry - Warps defenses with his shooting, great handles and passing.

Griffin - Has improved in every regard, including mid-range jumpers, FT shooting, defense since his rookie year. The only things down are his box score statas, and that's based on the talent on the roster/opporunities.

Davis - Talking about him based on this season so far in addition to how he closed out last year, and how he looked in the World Championships (in case he stands out).

Dwight - Unquestionably better pre-injury, and looked 100% in the playoffs last year. Looks healthy this year, expecting him to look like a top 5 player.

Westbrook - Can defend 1-3 at a high level, not an elite passer but very, very good. Not far removed from Melo as a shooter/scorer.

Dude I won't even go there. Melo isn't a gamechanger. Great shooter and terrific scoring skillset overall, but those are all legitimate superstars. It's always pissed the hell out of me when people have put Melo among the super elite players in the league, NY deserves a legit top 5 player.
    Melo @ PF has arguably as much offensive impact and he can still grab boards

He has improved but his defense outside of pickandroll situations is still mediocre. Theres not much of a difference and even tho hes a better passer Melos a much better shooter and scorer overall.

i guess well see...still not sold on him defensively

he went up against a soft frontcourt and when u factor in the amount of turnovers and missed opportunities he has in the post his post game still isnt got. he benefits purely of being positioned the right time for lobs and easy finishes hes an avg offensive player at best and he has slipped defensively

Westbrook cannot defend at a high level consistently. He gambles too much and OKC even had to make him strictly a roamer in their system b/c of the defensive mistakes he made that puts everyone out of position. Hes no better a defender than Curry overall. When Westbrook is locked in hes a much better individual defender but hes way more inconsistent and dumb

i dont consider any of these players super elite

KD, CP, Lebron and Love are the only ones arguably LMA or Dirk

2011: Lose to Celtics
    2012: Lose to Pacers
    2013: Lose to Pacers
    2014: Not sure... he sure as hell ain't dropping that 49 pointer in game 4 that LeBron did to stop that 2nd round from going 2-2.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    maybe, maybe not. they still have to make up for losing their best player who lead them in ppg, apg and rpg and defended their best player.
    He'd be replace by one of the most potent scorers and stars in the league. You're acting as if it's Trevor Ariza in this hypothetical scenario.

This is a talent league, and Wade-Anthony-Bosh would've still be the most talented trio in the East by far in 2011. Don't be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    2014: Not sure... he sure as hell ain't dropping that 49 pointer in game 4 that LeBron did to stop that 2nd round from going 2-2.
    He's surely not averaging 1.7 points in the 4th quarters of 2011 NBA Finals either.

NBA rookie of the year

Wade was absolutely raping the Celtics in 2011. With Carmelo as his second option, the results would not be any diffrent. Get outta here.

You would've had a better agrugment should you had mentioned Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    He's surely not averaging 1.7 points in the 4th quarters of 2011 NBA Finals either.
    He's not getting there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Wade was absolutely raping the Celtics in 2011. With Carmelo as his second option, the results would not be any diffrent. Get outta here.

You would've had a better agrugment should you had mentioned Chicago.

True. Chicago it is.

They would lose to Dallas in 2011 and they wouldn't make the Finals again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Melo @ PF has arguably as much offensive impact and he can still grab boards
    Strongly, strongly disagree about offensive impact. The only reason defenses help on Melo is because the roster is abysmal (bottom 10 supporting cast in the league). Defenses panic and double Curry off the ball 30 feet from the rim. The rebounding also isn't super impressive since Melo has played the 4 a lot. Bigs are expected to crash the boards so it's not a huge plus, relatively speaking.

He has improved but his defense outside of pickandroll situations is still mediocre. Theres not much of a difference and even tho hes a better passer Melos a much better shooter and scorer overall.
    Melo is the better shooter, but Griffin is a superior finisher. Don't get me wrong, CP3 is the best player on that team by far but Griffin is not multiple levels worse than Melo as a scorer (as a shooter yes). On his own team, he'd give you something similar.

i guess well see...still not sold on him defensively
    Yeah, too early to judge definitively. High level D is all about consistency. Need to see it bare out over a full season.

he went up against a soft frontcourt and when u factor in the amount of turnovers and missed opportunities he has in the post his post game still isnt got. he benefits purely of being positioned the right time for lobs and easy finishes hes an avg offensive player at best and he has slipped defensively
    He looked great defensively towards the end of last year. His post game is better now, his footwork has improved. I still think he's better as a garbage man picking up offensive board or running to the rim on PnRs. Definitely disagree about the Blazers FC being soft. Lopez was at or near the top in terms of man defense at the rim last year, and LMA played terrific D in their system last year.

But his offense alone isn't enough to make him a top 10 player. His D needs to get back to its pre-injury level. If it isn't, maybe I can entertain slotting Melo ahead.

Westbrook cannot defend at a high level consistently. He gambles too much and OKC even had to make him strictly a roamer in their system b/c of the defensive mistakes he made that puts everyone out of position. Hes no better a defender than Curry overall. When Westbrook is locked in hes a much better individual defender but hes way more inconsistent and dumb
    On-ball he's a high level defender and doesn't reach, but he does roam a bit much. Still, he has been more disciplined the past couple of years. Couldn't disagree more about Curry, he's a sieve defensively. It doesn't matter as much from the PG position but WB when locked in, as you said, is levels better. And again, has improved substantially the last couple seasons. More consistent, fewer risks (though still more than I'd like).[/quote]

i dont consider any of these players super elite

KD, CP, Lebron and Love are the only ones arguably LMA or Dirk
    Forgot Love too, apologies. He's definitely top 5 IMO.

Dirk is clearly better than Melo too if he plays at his level last year.

(BTW again, not hating on the Knicks...live in-market and other than the Lakers I root for them the most, probably. I think they deserve a better superstar than Melo though, and don't think they'll contend with him as their best player.)

He's not getting there in the first place.
    Miami's road to the 2011 Finals:

4-1
    4-1
    4-1

Yeah,they are getting there with Melo and winning it all.

Melo is clearly a better player. LeBron is a fraud who needs great teammates to carry him and make him look good.

I think you are underrating Melo just a tad fplii, but you're right. He isnt the type to lead a team to a championship. For all his skillset teams will isolate a single defender on him and force him to hit long twos repeatedly.

Not a good enough driver to consistently require the entire defense to adjust to him and not a good enough passer. This is why he is not a "game changer".

Melo is like Kevin Love in that regard. Great player. But not ever going to lead a team to a win being the first option.
    Last edited by navy; 11-03-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

Not trying to bash LeBron but i think a team with Wade Bosh and Melo is a better fit and i think they could at least match what was achived with bron. Definately win in 2011 and 2012 , hard to say in 2013 and 2014 , Spurs were very good.

at those saying they dont make it out of the east every year.