Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: LeBron Barrel Roll Travel

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    In this same game Kerr and Miller went on and on about how diving to the floor is not a travel. And who here has a rule book to know that LeBron doing what he did was a travel? Everything is just a reaction based on how you guys feel emotionally.
    I'd have to see the clip again but I do not think this was just a routine "dive for loose ball" play. I'm cool with those and I agree they should be and are usually declared illegal. In fact, while watching local high school basketball, I'll often see officials quick to call a travel when a player dives on a loose ball and I find that very unfortunate.

Anyway I think the issue here is, in theory, LeBron diving, rolling, then standing back up and continuing down the floor. From the one time I saw the clip, I swear I saw the ball semi-loose on the floor during a portion of the play. As such, I suppose that could be a reason it wasn't whistled a travel, since LeBron wouldn't have had possession.

The spirit of the "dive=travel" rule is to prevent players from intentionally improving court position through these strange means. It is not meant to randomly punish someone who really wants the ball. If not for that rule, we could theoretically see someone barrel roll down the entire length of the court. If LeBron had the rock for the majority of that play (from the moment he dived on it) I find it'd have been a blatant travel.

I still have this game on my DVR. Will watch this part again, it was pretty funny.

Would love a gif or youtube link though!

Come on people!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    In this same game Kerr and Miller went on and on about how diving to the floor is not a travel. And who here has a rule book to know that LeBron doing what he did was a travel? Everything is just a reaction based on how you guys feel emotionally.
    They were talking about diving on top of the ball and being stationary. Not blatantly rolling five feet forward on the ground with the ball in your hands. You're a retard if you don't think this was a blatant travel.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

And to the people saying the ball was loose at first.. Yes it was although he picked it up halfway through his somersault. It was a clear travel.. But even if you want to argue it wasn't look at the closest refs positions

You have refs on the side and on the Lakers baseline. Lebron dived FORWARD onto the ball and had kobe on his side. The refs could not see if the ball was perfectly secured as lebron lay on it in motion.. This was clearly a case where they swallowed the whistle for a superstar trying to make a play.

We saw a few plays before this them try and give the heat the ball on a blatant bosh tip out and a few plays before that they called one out of bounds on Jamison that was not a out on him.

Yes artest got away with a travel late but so did ray fvcking Allen as well as getting a ticket tack bullshit call on a layup.

Lakers got jobbed in the fourth.

^it's not travelling if you don't even have possession genius.

NBA rookie of the year

Honestly I think it was such an awesome display of athletic ability the refs decided to let it go.

The intent of the rule is to prevent someone from doing something stupid like rolling all the way down the floor or something, not to prevent someone from diving to the floor to secure a ball.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Not the only time he's done that roll...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    And to the people saying the ball was loose at first.. Yes it was although he picked it up halfway through his somersault. It was a clear travel.. But even if you want to argue it wasn't look at the closest refs positions

You have refs on the side and on the Lakers baseline. Lebron dived FORWARD onto the ball and had kobe on his side. The refs could not see if the ball was perfectly secured as lebron lay on it in motion.. This was clearly a case where they swallowed the whistle for a superstar trying to make a play.

We saw a few plays before this them try and give the heat the ball on a blatant bosh tip out and a few plays before that they called one out of bounds on Jamison that was not a out on him.

Yes artest got away with a travel late but so did ray fvcking Allen as well as getting a ticket tack bullshit call on a layup.

Lakers got jobbed in the fourth.
    It's not even close to a blatant travel if he only had possession midway through the somersault, you need to have it in order to be call a travel. Also ray alen's travel isn't even close to as blatant to metta's or pau gasol so stop using refs as an excuse as the heat had less free throws and more players in foul trouble.

I can forgive the roll because you should be allowed to dive and try and recover the ball. But you can't then stand up, let alone take a step, then dribble. Thats a travel in my book

game was lost on turnovers that lead directly to dunks, not missed calls. I can't blame the refs.

3 Pages and still no video or .gif. This thread SUCKS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
    I can forgive the roll because you should be allowed to dive and try and recover the ball. But you can't then stand up, let alone take a step, then dribble. Thats a travel in my book

game was lost on turnovers that lead directly to dunks, not missed calls. I can't blame the refs.
    that didn't happen look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xquueLZ2EtE

skip to 3:38 notice at the end of the somersault before he stands up he ends up losing the basketball which means he never had full possession or he dribbled.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4ever
    that didn't happen look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xquueLZ2EtE

skip to 3:38 notice at the end of the somersault before he stands up he ends up losing the basketball which means he never had full possession or he dribbled.
    damn Shuttlesworth all in the way

good call on that. Seeing it live I immediately thought travel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
    damn Shuttlesworth all in the way

good call on that. Seeing it live I immediately thought travel
    I guess this is why the op couldn't post a link or a gif himself

Ok I don't know if it was a travel or not. I never seem that done in a game once. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Talking as a fan though it was an awesome display of randommness and shouldn't be called.