Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Lakers off season thread

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Exactly what I was thinking. If Nash wants a ring (which he does), he needs to move on. And the Lakers are his last shot for one. That guy is a brilliant playmaker, and with Bynum and Kobe, we would be unstoppable.
    I don't think he'll stay in Phoenix, but I wouldn't say the Lakers are his last shot for one. They offer a good chance, but so does Miami and Dallas (both of which are very interested). It really depends on how much of a pay cut he's willing to take to get a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I don't think he'll stay in Phoenix, but I wouldn't say the Lakers are his last shot for one. They offer a good chance, but so does Miami and Dallas (both of which are very interested). It really depends on how much of a pay cut he's willing to take to get a ring.
    Speaking of which.... http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...onger-home-run

Sounds like he's open for pretty much anywhere. About time he realizes Phoenix isn't a "home run".

NBA lottery pick

I've said for years he never deserved his MVP's... he wasn't ever the best player in the league. One thing I will say is he deserves his chance to go to a team he wants to play for, that also gives him the best chance to get a title. I'm always all for the players at the end of their career that don't care about the money anymore and try to win. As long as he makes a decision like that (aka not Toronto...) I'll support his choice. The only way I support his decision with a team that can't win it is Phoenix. I don't see anything wrong with someone staying with their home team. Either go for a ship, or help out the team that has had faith in you for so long. With Phoenix drafting Marshall I'm pretty sure the writing is on the wall though.

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

Nash will giro the Raptors. Playing for Canada would be a dream come true for him.

As for the Lakers......I really want them to get rid of Bynum. I just think he has no heart

I've said for years he never deserved his MVP's... he wasn't ever the best player in the league. One thing I will say is he deserves his chance to go to a team he wants to play for, that also gives him the best chance to get a title. I'm always all for the players at the end of their career that don't care about the money anymore and try to win. As long as he makes a decision like that (aka not Toronto...) I'll support his choice. The only way I support his decision with a team that can't win it is Phoenix. I don't see anything wrong with someone staying with their home team. Either go for a ship, or help out the team that has had faith in you for so long. With Phoenix drafting Marshall I'm pretty sure the writing is on the wall though.

It's time for Nash to chase that ring with the Lakers at a very low price.
    If he goes to a loser like Toronto i'll lose all respect for him.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

why cant he go home and play for a team which is in his home country????

I would give preference to that over a cheap suns team...who he played for...

he can literally change how people look at basketball in Canada...

there are things of more importantance then ur home team or championship ....& thats ur country....if he has a chance...he should go for it...and play with Raps

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ma...wfXTXVttS8vLYF

I think this is our shot at getting him....Drew and fillers for Howard please.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan

there are things of more importantance then ur home team or championship ....& thats ur country....if he has a chance...he should go for it...and play with Raps
    Canada is a big country, lol. He's not even from Toronto. That's like saying it's a dream for an LA athlete to play in NY. The dumbest move in the world for him would be to go to a team that will struggle to make the playoffs. He should either stay in Phoenix where he has a huge fan base or chase a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan

What? If he wants a shot at a ring he needs to go to the Lakers. Raptor don't have shit. It'll just be another dead end.

But if he wants money, Raps are the way to go. 3 year 36 million contract is insane.

Made that high school varsity squad Frank Foley's Avatar

Canada is a big country, lol. He's not even from Toronto. That's like saying it's a dream for an LA athlete to play in NY. The dumbest move in the world for him would be to go to a team that will struggle to make the playoffs. He should either stay in Phoenix where he has a huge fan base or chase a ring.
    If you think his fanbase in Phoenix is huge, then what do you think his Canadian fanbase will be like? There's literally only one Canadian NBA team, and there's only one prominent NBA player. Most of the Canadian fans I know root for Toronto mildly, but they cheer for Steve Nash maniacally. And that's including people in Montreal, Vancouver, and Winnipeg.

Those of you saying Toronto is overpaying are missing the point. They're completely prepared to have Nash age into a withered husk during that final year (maybe even two years), because they figure the renewed interest, legitimacy, and revenue Nash will generate at the beginning of his contract will more than pay for it. Their intent from the outset was to blow away the competition's bids, because only offering a little extra per year might not have cut it. Hence the exorbitant offer, and the personal message from Wayne Gretzky, and the personal Canadian bikini massage team, or whatever the hell else they promised.

And those of you saying you'll lose respect for Nash taking the bigger money are either being cynical or overidealistic. Offer any rational human being the choice between a 36 million dollar contract and 3-to-9 million dollar contract, and he'll almost always take the extra 27 to 33 million dollars, irrespective of context. And so would you.

If you're not a millionaire, it's tempting to say, "He's made more than enough money in his career," but that's not how people generally act. There's a reason why billionaires hide their money in off-shore tax shelters, even though they have "more than enough." There are reasons why Steve Jobs' salary at Apple was 99.99999999999999999% paid in stock options. There's a reason why Kobe won't entertain any thoughts of cutting his salary, even though it's making it hell for Mitch et al. to build a team around him. And it's not (just) because they're greedy assholes.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Foley
    If you think his fanbase in Phoenix is huge, then what do you think his Canadian fanbase will be like? There's literally only one Canadian NBA team, and there's only one prominent NBA player. Most of the Canadian fans I know root for Toronto mildly, but they cheer for Steve Nash maniacally. And that's including people in Montreal, Vancouver, and Winnipeg.
    You make my point for me. They already cheer for him in Canada. It doesn't matter what uniform he wears. Almost every time Nash's name gets brought up so does the fact that he's from Canada. If he signs with Toronto I don't think his fan base up there will be any bigger.

Of course we all see why Toronto wants to sign him and they don't mind offering him a big contract. It's a no brainer they will make money off of that deal. That's besides the point. He has the opportunity to play somewhere that he has the chance to win. I don't think he should turn that down.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Foley

Those of you saying Toronto is overpaying are missing the point. They're completely prepared to have Nash age into a withered husk during that final year (maybe even two years), because they figure the renewed interest, legitimacy, and revenue Nash will generate at the beginning of his contract will more than pay for it. Their intent from the outset was to blow away the competition's bids, because only offering a little extra per year might not have cut it. Hence the exorbitant offer, and the personal message from Wayne Gretzky, and the personal Canadian bikini massage team, or whatever the hell else they promised.

And those of you saying you'll lose respect for Nash taking the bigger money are either being cynical or overidealistic. Offer any rational human being the choice between a 36 million dollar contract and 3-to-9 million dollar contract, and he'll almost always take the extra 27 to 33 million dollars, irrespective of context. And so would you.

If you're not a millionaire, it's tempting to say, "He's made more than enough money in his career," but that's not how people generally act. There's a reason why billionaires hide their money in off-shore tax shelters, even though they have "more than enough." There are reasons why Steve Jobs' salary at Apple was 99.99999999999999999% paid in stock options. There's a reason why Kobe won't entertain any thoughts of cutting his salary, even though it's making it hell for Mitch et al. to build a team around him. And it's not (just) because they're greedy assholes.
    I understand where you are coming from FF, but it's certainly a debatable issue.
    What is going to haunt him the rest of his life is people talking about him never winning a championship, every time his name is mentioned it will be there as if it is a part of his name. Anything you can do to avoid that, you need to do.
    I don't know if you or how many of us on here have been on a championship team at any level but I can say from personal experience that it is something you never forget and something that never gets old, whether as a player or a coach, even if you win 100 titles, it doesn't get old.
    IMO, it's worth much more than any amount of money, for Nash to not even attempt to join a team with a shot is a reflection on how much he really cares about winning......If he doesn't get one he will live to regret it.

IMO, money is not everything, I understand that to some people it is....again it is about preference.

My biggest point about Toronto's offer is that I do not believe there is another team that would offer more than $6 million per year for 3 years...not with the current CBA, not at his age. They are ensuring that their team will be nothing more than a novelty. They could have blown away the competition at $8 million per year for 2 years.

Me personally would go for the championship and not even briefly consider the money.

You make my point for me. They already cheer for him in Canada. It doesn't matter what uniform he wears. Almost every time Nash's name gets brought up so does the fact that he's from Canada. If he signs with Toronto I don't think his fan base up there will be any bigger.

Of course we all see why Toronto wants to sign him and they don't mind offering him a big contract. It's a no brainer they will make money off of that deal. That's besides the point. He has the opportunity to play somewhere that he has the chance to win. I don't think he should turn that down.
    The part about Toronto offering mucho moola was not directed at you.

And even though I talked about fanbase in my last post, I doubt it factors in that much. Fans are important with regard to revenue, but very few players decide what team they want to join based on fan enthusiasm. Miami's a hotspot for free agents, even though they have maybe the worst, most fairweather fans in all of creation. No one wants to play in Utah, even though their fans are almost psychotic in their support for their team.

With that said, there's a difference between being Steve Nash: Canadian baller who plays mostly in the U.S., and Steve Nash: Great Canadian Hero Who Also Plays Half of His Games in Canada (And Also Makes $10 Million More Per Year). If he were to play in Canada, the already-rabid support would be ratcheted up even further. And that's pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker

IMO, money is not everything, I understand that to some people it is....again it is about preference.

My biggest point about Toronto's offer is that I do not believe there is another team that would offer more than $6 million per year for 3 years...not with the current CBA, not at his age. They are ensuring that their team will be nothing more than a novelty. They could have blown away the competition at $8 million per year for 2 years.

Me personally would go for the championship and not even briefly consider the money.
    I agree that an $8 million/year offer would have been better than what anyone else could have offered (except maybe Dallas). But their intent wasn't just to have the best offer, because that might not have been enough: they wanted to give such an awesome presentation that it overrode Nash's loyalty to Phoenix, or his championship aspirations with [insert playoff team here]. Hence the video from The Great One, and the implication that he would basically own all of Canada, etc.

I don't doubt that you feel the way you do re: championships, but where there's a difference of about $30 million, almost anyone ever would have to give it consideration. And it's not wrong, and it's not due to vice or avarice. For a dude who's coming off a divorce, that means a fresh start. He also knows in the back of his mind that he will never, ever get another chance to make that kind of money again. He's been a loyal dude and a class act his entire career; I'd say he's entitled to whatever he goes on to earn, and I won't judge him for it.

NBA lottery pick

It sounds like Dallas just offered him a 2 year deal in case the Williams thing doesn't happen for them. I'm not sure about how much money they were talking but I just heard it on ESPN.