Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #181
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Michael Richards Racial Rant isn't alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
This was not originally about slavery, but the topic veered off it's course. Racism most certainly does still exist, and I do know where you got the idea that it ended.

Apologies. I didn't mean it how it sounded. Racism is only used not to reatliate to other comments. Again we live pretty much worlds apart. Racism isn't a huge thing here, but again it's not a small thing either. It seriously annoys me to see this crap happening, some people from both races just don't know how to shut up and keep their mouths closed.

Quote:
Yes, I do think about the people that were sold as slaves. Again, I didn't personally experience it, but i've read books, watched videos, heard stories etc.. and if you were to do the same and tell me that it doesn't pain you to watch, then I really wouldn't know what else to say.

That's fair, I was just asking.

Quote:
I'm not angry at the majority of white people. But your question started with why black people are angry with whites who use the word nigg*r.

Have you actually answered my question then?

Quote:
If they're white, it shouldn't be said. Plain and Simple

Because? Why should you be allowed to use the word? and yet the 'creators' as you would, aren't allowed to use it?

(since I have to keep doing this, I'll just do it like this, if any comments sound bad, or racist in any way, please tell me. I don't want to come out looking like a racism ****, I'm just interested in this thing is all.)
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 AM   #182
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Yes there are tons of good people in the world, but there are just as many bad ones. You think color doesn't have an effect on that job or what not you're going for, it has a lot. I've gotten pulled over just for being balc and looking "suspicious" I'm not one of those dudes who's angry at the world or white people, I just know how it's is, always has and always will be, and thats just a fact.

Apologies to you as well, as I've told Bokes, it doesn't really have as much of an effect here in Australia. We are obviously worlds apart. My point is, it really shouldn't have effect though, I mean, either way, you're going to do the job.

I think what employers are going off now, is the stereotype that you're (not directed to anyone) going to steal something (kids do nothing to help this either, most kids here in Australia steal a lot of things) or start some sort of race war. You know of them "ITS BECAUSE I'M BLACK ISN'T IT" things every time someone tells you you've done something wrong etc. Which is really a sad thing.

Quote:
Slavery is still happening today, of course not the same way centuries ago. Check out some of these famous rap artist, tryin to make a buck. These guys are owned by these white corporarte business that just tell them to put out any junk on the radio. Look at BET (Black Entertainment Television) the black owner sold it to viacom (it was self owned). The channel is getting dumber and dumber as I type this.

But it's like they're forcing them to make a record or whatever. They give them a contract, and a day or a week to think it over, and if they don't sign it, then whatever. They're not forced to as you say 'be owned' by these guys.

We don't have BET down here, so I wouldn't know.

In general though, the entire world is just getting stupider and more social, and less business like then it was before. Which isn't really a great thing.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 AM   #183
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
Have you actually answered my question then?

Because? Why should you be allowed to use the word? and yet the 'creators' as you would, aren't allowed to use it?

(since I have to keep doing this, I'll just do it like this, if any comments sound bad, or racist in any way, please tell me. I don't want to come out looking like a racism ****, I'm just interested in this thing is all.)

I thought this quote alone would answer the question:
Quote:
The word ****** carries with it much of the hatred and repulsion directed toward Africans and African Americans. Historically, ****** defined, limited, and mocked African Americans. It was a term of exclusion, a verbal justification for discrimination. Whether used as a noun, verb, or adjective, it reinforced the stereotype of the lazy, stupid, dirty, worthless parasite.

Whites used this term for black slaves, there's no argument about it, it's well documented in history. It's arguable whether blacks should say it but it's not arguable whether whites should be able to say it. The "creators" of the word were racist bigots/slave owners, so if whites really want to shed that reputation, then why would they even want to consider using it?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #184
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Apologies to you as well, as I've told Bokes, it doesn't really have as much of an effect here in Australia. We are obviously worlds apart. My point is, it really shouldn't have effect though, I mean, either way, you're going to do the job.

I think what employers are going off now, is the stereotype that you're (not directed to anyone) going to steal something (kids do nothing to help this either, most kids here in Australia steal a lot of things) or start some sort of race war. You know of them "ITS BECAUSE I'M BLACK ISN'T IT" things every time someone tells you you've done something wrong etc. Which is really a sad thing.
No need to apologize, I see you're just tryin' to learn (which I wish others would do.)

Quote:
But it's like they're forcing them to make a record or whatever. They give them a contract, and a day or a week to think it over, and if they don't sign it, then whatever. They're not forced to as you say 'be owned' by these guys.

We don't have BET down here, so I wouldn't know.

In general though, the entire world is just getting stupider and more social, and less business like then it was before. Which isn't really a great thing.
I say "being owned" as buy not being yourself and acting like a coon just to sell records are get publicity. Thees label heads no what their doing and the artist know what their doing, they can talk about something important or go along with everyone else talking about bull that just feeds into the stereotypes.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #185
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Whites used this term for black slaves, there's no argument about it, it's well documented in history. It's arguable whether blacks should say it but it's not arguable whether whites should be able to say it. The "creators" of the word were racist bigots/slave owners, so if whites really want to shed that reputation, then why would they even want to consider using it?

So black people want to be racist white people in a sense? It doesn't make sense. If I go by the little document, that would mean you're calling each other lazy, stupid and dirty parasites, which only means there's too much negativity to actually take someone who uses that word seriously. You're also apparently stereotyping yourself, which only makes things worse for you guys, and in turn, makes you even more angry.

The first thing to do is to actually stop using this word, and the stereotype will go away.

Secondly, I honestly feel like it's a terrible insult for a white person to say that to a black person, but it's not like it's out fault that we say it. My 11 year old brother tried to use that word the other day, just in a general stereotypical term. He came into the door and said 'whats up my *****'. I asked him where he heard the word, and he said his friends say it (Yes, his friends are black), and I told him not to ever say that word again. Sadly, though, that's pretty much all i can do about that situation. I can't make it better or worse, the more his friends say it, the more he's going to think it's okay for him to say it, and that applies to everyone out there, does it not?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #186
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I say "being owned" as buy not being yourself and acting like a coon just to sell records are get publicity. Thees label heads no what their doing and the artist know what their doing, they can talk about something important or go along with everyone else talking about bull that just feeds into the stereotypes.

But again, are they actually being themselves, how can you tell the difference? These guys come in and play their own material at the start, and owners of record companies feast on this kind of crap, then decide if they want to sign them or not, it's not like they have some normal black guy, and they bling him up and teach him to act. Black people create the stereotype for themselves, and keep it alive. I don't want that to sound like a racist thing, but it's a true thing. You don't hear many black guys singing some nice normal song, they just want to sing about smoking weed, and as Bokes said 'being lazy and dirty'
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 AM   #187
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

Quote:
But again, are they actually being themselves, how can you tell the difference? These guys come in and play their own material at the start, and owners of record companies feast on this kind of crap, then decide if they want to sign them or not, it's not like they have some normal black guy, and they bling him up and teach him to act. Black people create the stereotype for themselves, and keep it alive. I don't want that to sound like a racist thing, but it's a true thing. You don't hear many black guys singing some nice normal song, they just want to sing about smoking weed, and as Bokes said 'being lazy and dirty'
Yeah true, but the reason the black rapper is writting and rapping that material because he know's he has a better chance of getting a deal. Basically, he know if he raps about hot chicks, cars, drugs and crime he'll have a better shot then if he rapped about hoe to stop crime, poverty, politics and what not. So basically, before the rapper is even trying to get a deal, he knows which route he is gonna take.

But I do agree what you said.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:25 AM   #188
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
If you're getting into the issue of music. It's all about the benjamins. I mean we can sit here and judge, but the bottom line is that they say whatever they have to in order to get paid.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:41 AM   #189
mid80sjordan
High School JV MVP

mid80sjordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
It does, but only when it comes to stuff like catching serial killers. If I recall, they originally thought the Beltway Sniper was a white person.

Also it's kind of funny when people say "white people control the world" and no one bats an eyelash. Is that not racist? What if you replaced the word "white" with "Jewish"? Does someone perk up then?
haha that is funny

and i'm still waiting for my white male power card
mid80sjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #190
MadeFromDust
i take yo azz 2da hole

MadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this boardMadeFromDust has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I'm certainly not seeing it.
Of course not, it sprayed all over yurs and preppy-boi's eyes and face.
MadeFromDust is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: