Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Why all the fuss over Aldridge?

What is the love for Aldridge? I used to think he was only 27; in the prime of his career, still some of his best years ahead of him, plenty of time left to learn the game and get better... then I learned he was 30.

Dude has basically maxed out his skillset. He's not an elite rebounder, not an elite defender... he's basically a worse player than Bosh was in Toronto, and doesn't offer the 3 point threat that Bosh does.

What is all this love for him? Why is he a franchise savior? How good are his post moves and passing out of the post? I have not watched him enough to know these things.

Default Re: Why all the fuss over Aldridge?

Everything Bosh has done he had done, on a great Team in a stacked conference... opposed to Bosh on a lottery Team, no pressure, etc.

automatically giving him the edge. Have you taken a look at Bosh's career Playoff Performances?

His biggest weakness to me is his inability to draw fouls. It makes him inefficient. If he's the guy in their offense, it makes them more predictable, IMO. Average passer, loves jumpers.

Can't put my finger on it. He's elite but not elite. His numbers suggest a top 15 player but something is missing, and it's not just post season success.

Aldridge won't lead a team to a championship, but he can certainly be a final piece. This is exactly why Spurs is a great fit, and not the Lakers.

College superstar

What he's missing is a lack of "wow". I don't know... as a fan, I'm not scared to face him. I think Aldridge is a player like JR Smith (though infinitely better) in that both of them could get hot and hit their jumpers and destroy your team... but you're kinda willing to take that chance.

Aldridge seems like Sheed in a sense.. a player that is overly reliant on his jumper, but if that's not falling... too bad. Maybe my perception is way off, but that's why I'm not a fan of his, considering his age.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ShackEelOKneel
    Aldridge won't lead a team to a championship, but he can certainly be a final piece. This is exactly why Spurs is a great fit, and not the Lakers.
    It's an expensive "final piece". But otherwise.. good assessment.

Elite scorer, solid defender, amazing teammate and a great guy in the community. His bball IQ is said to be insane. He's been stuck in a shithole for so long that no one's noticed but he's always been a top 10 player and still has 4 years of his best ball left.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShackEelOKneel
    I agree. The spurs are the only team where I can think he's actually worth the max because of the way they play. They don't really feature one player offensively and that's perfect for him. He's not really worth the max period...but if someone is going to pay it, the Spurs will be the ones to get the most out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Noyze
    Can't put my finger on it. He's elite but not elite. His numbers suggest a top 15 player but something is missing, and it's not just post season success.
    Its easy to see... lotta points for allota shots with Little defense, doesn't have any obvious leadership Qualities. Kawhi will still be their best Player.

I'd rather have Blake Griffin or a prime Bosh, but out of the available PFs Aldridge is a pretty good option.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Elite scorer, solid defender, amazing teammate and a great guy in the community. His bball IQ is said to be insane. He's been stuck in a shithole for so long that no one's noticed but he's always been a top 10 player and still has 4 years of his best ball left.
    How do you define an elite scorer? I'm only looking at numbers, but I don't typically define one with "22ppg on 48% shooting for a PF"

Can he create his own shot well enough that the numbers don't tell the whole story? Does he have a bevy of strong post moves? Are his shooting numbers relatively low because his system didn't use him properly at all? What should we expect from him in the Spurs system, if he goes there?

Yeah, he's really overrated.

But I don't mind getting him if it means Green stays.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

He's a really nice player.. kinda reminds me of pau to the bulls. He should thrive in that system

I don't care where Aldridge signs... as long as it isn't with the Spurs.