Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Evil Within

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Default The Evil Within

Who got this? It's getting decent to good reviews. Sounds like it's a mix of Resident Evil 4 meets Silent Hill. Thorpe give us your views on it. C'mon I know you got it. You're a RE freak like me.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: The Evil Within

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    Who got this? It's getting decent to good reviews. Sounds like it's a mix of Resident Evil 4 meets Silent Hill. Thorpe give us your views on it. C'mon I know you got it. You're a RE freak like me.
    Got it!

Picked it up on the way home last night. Between the install and grabbing the season pass and everything else that goes into getting a game up and going these days, I probably only got about 20 minutes in last night.

But in those 20 minutes I was genuinely scared a few times. It's over the top rediculous scares, and so far there's no story whatsoever. But it's fun. It is like Res4 playing mechanics, but much stealthier so far. More hiding and creeping. Only one bad guy I've seen so far, and he's stalking me. And the sense of creepiness when he's near is genuine.

Everything feels very set piecey at the moment. I hope the map opens up a little. I'm not looking for open world, but something that loops around on itself, like the original RE, or the most recent Tomb Raider would be cool.

I can say I'm looking forward to going home and playing more, which is saying something, because I never even gave Shadow of Mordor a shot really. There was just too much going on for my current state of mind I suppose.

Right now I'm trying to decide on a game before Dragon Age comes out in a month. It's down to Shadow of Mordor and Evil Within. I think I tend to be a little more forgiving of a game like Mordor than you....but the allure of playing a survival horror game, connected to RE, could be too much to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    Right now I'm trying to decide on a game before Dragon Age comes out in a month. It's down to Shadow of Mordor and Evil Within. I think I tend to be a little more forgiving of a game like Mordor than you....but the allure of playing a survival horror game, connected to RE, could be too much to pass up.

Typically I wouldn't have minded. I just don't seem to have the disposable time right now it takes to give a game like Mordor it's proper attention. With Football occupying Sunday, Monday, and now Thursday, plus the occasional college game, and playoff baseball, and work being nuts, there's just not the time. The leveling set pieces of TEW just feels like it'll flow better for me.

Mordor feels like it cherry picked some of my favorite elements from some of my favorite open world games, and the nemesis system seems like a cool idea from what little I've gotten out of it. But there's just so much to do in various ways to level up. And they just sort of drop you right on the gates of Mordor. One of the things I was looking forward to in that game was being able to move around Middle Earth. Maybe check out The Shire. Have a drink at The Prancing Pony. Run through Treebeard's forest, check out Helms Deep, so and so forth. Instead it appears to just be non-stop hell fire. Orcs just whipping poor slaves while they chop at rocks for no apparent reason. After about 3 hours or so over 3 nights and dieing at the hands of a handfull of Orcs and not knowing where to go, I just ran out of gas.

I had every intention of getting Alien Isolation and gave up on it when I realized how little I did in Mordor, and that it was first person. I also wanted to grab The Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition last night when I was picking up, but they didn't have any, which frankly may have just saved me 60 bucks on something I may have never played. And I have Assassin's Creed Unity on Pre-Order coming in just a couple weeks.

Banned

Anyone else gotten it? All the reviews I've seen have been pretty negative about it so far to the point I was thinking of giving it a miss even though I was really hyped for it.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Anyone else gotten it? All the reviews I've seen have been pretty negative about it so far to the point I was thinking of giving it a miss even though I was really hyped for it.
    Ign gave it an 8.7 and game informer gave it an 8/9.

From what i've read, alot have stated it low because it was hard.

I think it will be a 7/8 out of 10 game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    Ign gave it an 8.7 and game informer gave it an 8/9.

From what i've read, alot have stated it low because it was hard.

I think it will be a 7/8 out of 10 game
    Not sure, a couple of reviews I saw mentioned it actually came with a walkthrough and guide because controls aren't explained and at times you have no idea what to do, they mentioned without that the game would be really annoying to play. Also said the story is terrible, controls are un responsive and poorly thought our, cliched and the main character is just a dick. I'll probably still get it because there's not much else survival horror out right now though. I've given up on IGN reviews though, that sites gone so down hill and become so biased it's a joke. Game informer are normally ok though. Maybe I'll wait for some user reviews too.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Not sure, a couple of reviews I saw mentioned it actually came with a walkthrough and guide because controls aren't explained and at times you have no idea what to do, they mentioned without that the game would be really annoying to play. Also said the story is terrible, controls are un responsive and poorly thought our, cliched and the main character is just a dick. I'll probably still get it because there's not much else survival horror out right now though. I've given up on IGN reviews though, that sites gone so down hill and become so biased it's a joke. Game informer are normally ok though. Maybe I'll wait for some user reviews too.
    I think most reviews are a joke now, if i'm curious about a game, i either just get it and regret it haha or watch some let's play vids on youtube and make up my mind on that. EB Games 7 day returns always helps as a back up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    I think most reviews are a joke now, if i'm curious about a game, i either just get it and regret it haha or watch some let's play vids on youtube and make up my mind on that. EB Games 7 day returns always helps as a back up.
    Yeah that normally happens to me but lately I've bought too many games I thought looked cool only to never play them. Might wait a couple of weeks on this one and see how the general public take it. A lot of games lately seem to be really polarizing amongst the main stream review sites.

You can usually count on GI to overrate anything they've done any extensive preview with, which they did here.

I can already see the protagonist and overall story will be thin. But I can also see them just hammering the audience with every horror trope out there. So if you're into the genre, you'll probably like it.

I've already been frustrated by the closeness of the camera. But that's typical.

I've read enough reviews, both media and users, that convinced me to get it....plus Best Buy gave me a $10 gift card. I won't play much these next few days though.
    Last edited by glidedrxlr22; 10-16-2014 at 12:29 PM.

I just got to open it and do the install. I hope to give my impressions soon. Any updates on your impressions Thorpe? Does it feel like RE?

The tension so far has been pretty consistent, but some of it may be starting to ware away a bit after a long session last night.

I can see where some of the frustration can come in. I've been employing a very stealthy approach. Supplies are at a minimum, although based on what I'm picking up I feel like they're keeping you right on the edge of functionality. But I'm spending a fair amount of time creeping around and preserving my goods. So last night, I come across a village, I snoop around and kill most of everyone off pretty isolated like. A few guys got the better of me and I had to go to the gun, but landed quick headshots and felt pretty good about my work. Then I backtrack and start clearing out the buildings for supplies before moving forward to what I'm guessing is a next save point. I'm still being cautious because shit can pop up anywhere. The lighting is dark, and you never know when some laying lump will just get up.

Anyway, there are booby traps around. You can dismantle them and get parts to use to upgrade some weapons I guess. I haven't gotten that yet. But I see one, and inch toward it, and you have to get close enough for the dismantle icon to appear, but my guy sort of slides into it and I wind up blowing up. It starts me over with the village refilled. That was annoying. Especially because it was really more the fault of the controls being a little mushy.

Overall it feels a lot like RES4, with some more upgradablity, which I like, and a more supernatural tone to it, and a more stealthy game play design.

Sort fo a RES4 with more of a Silent Hill slant on the tone, and a bit of The Last of Us gameplay with the stealthyness and limited supplies and upgradability.

I can envision the supernaturalism of the story turning me the wrong way at some point. And I do have some concerns over the controls, even before my mistake last night, just feeling a little gummy.

Banned

I just picked it up on my lunch break. Will play tonight and see how it is.

Banned

I only got a chance to play the first 2 chapters last night. Pretty good so far afew tense moments already. I agree though that traps are bullshit to disarm. If you crouch and walk diagonally it's possible but still sometimes you randomly blow up due to controls.