Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Default Re: Microsoft Surface Ad: Apple, You Got Served

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    I got the interfaced messed up, meant to say you can't do it with the newer one, believed it's called metro. I already have the classic setup with 7, there's no reason for me to go for 8 for the same exact thing.
    Well I didn't say anybody had a reason to upgrade there current setups. I'm still running win7 on my desktop machine for the same reason, but personally I like the idea of having a tablet that is also a fully functioning PC. That is why I bought one. I don't like carrying multiple devices.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    yea, but everything is optimized and better for windows 8. Why wouldn't you use the better version of 7, Windows 8.
    I've seen the benchmark, I already have an SSD and i7 ivy bridge, any performance increase I get would be very tiny. My Windows 7 works perfectly fine with the other PC and devices in the house, the network works perfectly. I'd rather not build my network again because if I recalled Windows 7 did not play nicely with XP when I upgraded back in the days.

I'm not a fan of the missing start menu, yes I just know you can add it through 3rd party, but it's not the same because you'll have to manually setup shortcuts and such. I also doubt it would work it as well the native windows 7 start button.

I download a lot of games and apps for torrent, from reading the comments, it has a lot of compatibility issue, some people mentioned certain games wouldn't even boot on 8.

So I ask myself, what am I upgrading for? The headache far outweights the benefit at this point. Maybe once the system mature and more people adopt it.
    Last edited by bigkingsfan; 01-22-2013 at 10:50 PM.

I've seen the benchmark, I already have an SSD and i7 ivy bridge, any performance increase I get would be very tiny. My Windows 7 works perfectly fine with the other PC and devices in the house, the network works perfectly. I'd rather not build my network again because if I recalled Windows 7 did not play nicely with XP when I upgraded back in the days.

I'm not a fan of the missing start menu, yes I just know you can add it through 3rd party, but it's not the same because you'll have to manually setup shortcuts and such. I also doubt it would work it as well the native windows 7 start button.

I download a lot of games and apps for torrent, from reading the comments, it has a lot of compatibility issue, some people mentioned certain games wouldn't even boot on 8.

So I ask myself, what am I upgrading for? The headache far outweights the benefit at this point. Maybe once the system mature and more people adopt it.
    tyft.

I'm such a non-power user that I didn't even consider these things.

Eh I don't have any problem networking my 7 and 8 machines together, nor I have I personally found a game that didn't run. Although my 8 machine isn't a gaming monster like my desktop, I can run Diablo 3 and Civilization 5 on it fine, haven't tried others yet.

AS far as the start button, its not really gone, it's just different. You won't miss it after using it for five minutes. I bounce between 7 and 8 at home and my XP machine at work, and I think the differences between 7 and XP are greater than the differences between 7 and 8.

I'll add one final thought, I'm not telling anybody to upgrade their existing setup because I'm not upgrading mine, but for new machines Windows 8 is really great and revolutionary in my opinion and I've used just about every computer out there.
    Last edited by embersyc; 01-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.

'
    Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Not to make excuses, but Lion has been universally hailed as a weak OS. I was having many issues with it as well. And it even gave users with new Macs issues, so it isn't that it only gave older Macs problems.

The worst was Safari, I loathed that shit. Most of the issues most people had were due to Safari. The main problem was the automatic refreshing, you could turn it off but then you had other issues and annoyances, that was the reason most people (including myself) moved to Chrome. The entire OS itself was shaky here and there, good ideas but not coded to work consistently. When it worked, it was beautiful (and was the case 98% of the time, except for the horrid Safari), but when it didn't it was annoying. Most of this was a result of the auto back up.

no way...that's impossible..Steve Jobs told me "it just works"

So should I buy this or what?

I may not be a "power user" in terms of gaming, but I use my laptop constantly for torrenting, viewing media, building virtual networks on simulators for classes, interacting with people, etc. I made the switch from 7 to 8 a few months ago and actually think it's a lot easier to use. Like someone said, on Desktop mode, it's an exact replica of Windows 7. Sure, there isn't a start button, but just hit the Windows key and you have a dedicated start screen custom fit exactly how you prefer it. I run a lot of difference programs, emulators, and apps and have yet to find anything that won't run on it.

Just logging in with your Windows live account tying everything together is a great idea. It ties all of your e-mail and social networking together, so you could be doing something completely different, and every time you get anything from any of those services, a small box pops up on the corner of the screen giving you a notification and glimpse of what it says. Pretty convenient.

I was impressed with Windows 8 enough to switch over to that ecosystem and turned my Android phone in for a Windows 8 phone. It's still in its infancy, but I think Microsoft has some good things in store for it in the future, and recommend it to anyone.

64GB Surface Pro ships with just 23GB of usable storage, 128GB model has 83GB of space

and from a different source:
    “The 128 GB version of Surface Pro has 83 GB of free storage out of the box. The 64GB version of Surface Pro has 23GB of free storage out of the box. Of course, Surface Pro has a USB 3.0 port for connectivity with almost limitless storage options, including external hard drives and USB flash drives. Surface also comes pre-loaded with SkyDrive, allowing you to store up to 7GB of content in the cloud for free. The device also includes a microSDXC card slot that lets you store up to 64GB of additional content to your device. Customers can also free up additional storage space by creating a backup bootable USB and deleting the recovery partition.”

Kinda surprised the OS took up that much, props to M$ for at least giving out 7gbs cloud storage.
    Last edited by Rose; 01-29-2013 at 05:22 PM.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

The new Pro is getting negative reviews all around.

From Engadget, Verge, and Ars Technica. Almost all of them are saying the same things for the most part.

Not good enough to be neither a tablet or a laptop, with many compromises. Almost all of them say it's close in some areas, but they don't recommend it.

Apparently you'd have to buy the larger version as well, you're better of buying a laptop.