Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: the ultimate ish otc funk/soul/jazz thread

Alphonse Mouzon-The Next Time We Love

Paradise-I'm Going Away

Search-Missing You

Positive Express- Do Me

Prince ft Miko-Do Me Baby(Live In Tokyo)

Punkass Otis would not let him back in the Temps, but he still the man. He cranked out numerous joints that became standards. I went as David for Halloween once. My friends were uh....The Temptations.

David Ruffin
    Statue of A Fool-Later Sampled By Juicy J on the track Name it After Me on the classic album Chronicles of The Juice Mane
    Common Man-Sampled on the Jay Z joint Never Change-off The Blueprint
    I Miss You-You don't hear grown ass man vocals like this anymore.
    My Whole World Ended-Live
    I Want You Back-(Jackson 5 Covered It Later)
    I Let Love Slip Away
    Last edited by Dasher; 03-12-2009 at 01:44 PM.

All Gil Scott-Heron:

Angel Dust

Legend in his own mind

Home is where the hatred is

I couldn't find "The revolution will not be televised", some G man obviously intervened and removed the link due to its sheer Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Punkass Otis would not let him back in the Temps, but he still the man. He cranked out numerous joints that became standards. I went as David for Halloween once. My friends were uh....The Temptations.

David Ruffin

I Want You Back-(Jackson 5 Covered It Later)
    Actually bro, the J5 did the original version. It was actually written for Gladys Knight and the Pips, but Berry had just signed these 5 young kids and they needed a song.

Wilson Pickett

I'm In Love "Live" on Soultrain-(Originally by Bobby Womack, and written about Sam Cooke's widow.)

In The Midnight Hour-Live

Land Of A 1000 Dances-Live on David Letterman

Live W/The Godfather of Soul

Don't Knock My Love
    -Live on Soultrain

Everybody Needs Somebody-Live

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Actually bro, the J5 did the original version. It was actually written for Gladys Knight and the Pips, but Berry had just signed these 5 young kids and they needed a song.
    Its true, Ruffin's version was on the 1971 album "David", and the Jackson 5 released theirs in 1969.

3-time NBA All-Star

I would hardly blame the Otis Williams or the rest of the Temptations for the breakup and falling out between them and David Ruffin. He had ego, control, and drug, problems that led to him alienating the rest of the band, and later when he was officially out, ruining shows and creating legal issues.

By 1967, however, ego problems with Ruffin became an issue for the group. He became addicted to cocaine, and began missing rehearsals and performances. Refusing to travel with the other Temptations, Ruffin and his then-girlfriend Tammi Terrell traveled in a custom limo (with the image of his trademark black rimmed glasses painted on the door). After The Supremes had their name changed to Diana Ross & the Supremes in early 1967, Ruffin felt that he should become the focal point of the Temptations, just as Diana Ross was for her group, and began demanding that the group name be changed to David Ruffin & the Temptations. This led to a number of fights between Ruffin and the group's de facto leader, Otis Williams. In addition to the group's problems with his ego, Ruffin began inquiring into the Temptations' financial records, demanding an accounting of the group's money. This caused friction between Ruffin and Gordy.

In mid-1968, the Temptations agreed that Ruffin finally crossed the line when he missed a 1968 concert to attend a concert being performed by his new girlfriend, Barbara Martin instead. Ruffin was replaced with former Contour Dennis Edwards, who had been a friend of Ruffin and the group as a whole beforehand. Despondent that he had been fired from the group that he felt he had single-handedly brought to success, Ruffin began turning up at and crashing Temptations' concerts. When the group started to perform a Ruffin-era song such as "My Girl" or "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", Ruffin himself would appear on the stage, grab the microphone from Dennis Edwards and steal the show, embarrassing the band but delighting the fans. The Temptations resorted to hiring extra security to prevent Ruffin from attending their shows.[citation needed]

Meanwhile, Ruffin filed suit against Motown Records, seeking a release from the label and an accounting of his money. Motown countersued to keep the singer from leaving the label and eventually the case was settled. The settlement required Ruffin to remain with Motown to finish out his initial contract (Ruffin joined Motown as a solo artist, and always had a separate contract from the other Temptations, which some felt caused a lot of the in-fighting within the group).

3-time NBA All-Star

Solomon Burke baby

soundcloud->solarcism

By 1967, however, ego problems with Ruffin became an issue for the group. He became addicted to cocaine, and began missing rehearsals and performances. Refusing to travel with the other Temptations, Ruffin and his then-girlfriend Tammi Terrell traveled in a custom limo (with the image of his trademark black rimmed glasses painted on the door). After The Supremes had their name changed to Diana Ross & the Supremes in early 1967, Ruffin felt that he should become the focal point of the Temptations, just as Diana Ross was for her group, and began demanding that the group name be changed to David Ruffin & the Temptations. This led to a number of fights between Ruffin and the group's de facto leader, Otis Williams. In addition to the group's problems with his ego, Ruffin began inquiring into the Temptations' financial records, demanding an accounting of the group's money. This caused friction between Ruffin and Gordy.
    None of this seems paticularly unreasonable. David Ruffin and The Temptations has a nice ring to it.

Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, Maze with Frankie Beverly, or Frankie Beverly and Maze is the ultimate family reunion band. They have a song for whatever situation pops up at family get-togethers. When cats talk about great bands, I don't think they come up enough. They made such beautiful music. There are very few singers who can be as vulnerable as Frankie and not come off as whiny, soft, pu[COLOR=Black]s[/COLOR]sy-whipped, and/or b[COLOR=Black]i[/COLOR]tchmade.

Reason (If the Dash Mane ever jumps the broom, this will be the wedding song. It is such a great cut.)
    Before I Let Go(Club Staple)
    We Are One
    Happy Feelin's(This song can never be played too many times.)
    Joy and Pain(Electric slide time)
    You-Live
    Family
    Can't Get Over You
    Too Many Games
    Back in Stride
    Feel That What You're Feeling
    Lady of Magic

Last edited by Dasher; 03-16-2009 at 10:02 AM.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

tune into some vintage george duke!

look what you find
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTp-T...eature=related

reach for it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhnQY5Kva0

funkin' for the thrill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEehu...eature=related

i want you for myself (with lynn davis)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBfb...eature=related

it's a soul/jazz/funk thread, but how about showing some love for a lady bluesman... or a blueswoman... whichever works. thought we'd show some love to the ladies, specifically the big women.

big mama thornton:
    hound dog on a record player:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcK6C...eature=related

they call me big mama:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYSv3qyGJFA
    "they call me big mama cuz i weigh 300 pounds"

summertime:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwlTOspKNh8

down home shakedown [jam session]:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyjFfZTGHk

one of the few woman artists i can really listen to, and an amazing voice
    Last edited by hito da god; 03-17-2009 at 01:20 AM.

answer323
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    All Gil Scott-Heron:

Angel Dust

Legend in his own mind

Home is where the hatred is

I couldn't find "The revolution will not be televised", some G man obviously intervened and removed the link due to its sheer Fire.
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?...um=4&ct=title#