NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Blade Runner Question (Spoiler Inside)

Was Deckard really a replicant? I wasn't even thinking about it until the scene where the upgraded replicant asks him if he has ever used the replicant detector on himself.

In one of the next scenes a replicant beats him up in an alley pretty badly, if Decker was human he probably would of died. Same thing goes for the scene where he fights the tranny replicant, it looks like Decker's neck would of broke if he were human.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

Default Re: Blade Runner Question (Spoiler Inside)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Oh so he is the unicorn?

I thought the new version replicant girl was the unicorn, she was one of a kind and the oragami Blade Runner spared her because of it and left his oragami unicorn as a message to Decker that he spared her because she is different along with his respect for Decker.

   

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Was Deckard really a replicant? I wasn't even thinking about it until the scene where the upgraded replicant asks him if he has ever used the replicant detector on himself.

In one of the next scenes a replicant beats him up in an alley pretty badly, if Decker was human he probably would of died. Same thing goes for the scene where he fights the tranny replicant, it looks like Decker's neck would of broke if he were human.
    i think it was intentionally an "either / or" kind of thing, like the question of whether kevin spacey was an idiot-savant or a true alien in the film "K-Pax."

if you read the actual novella of "blade runner," PKD is far more interested in the cult of mercerism, the penfield mood organ, and synthetic animals. deckard's actual identity is far down that list.

in other words, you just got played by ridley scott.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i think it was intentionally an "either / or" kind of thing
    I think several people involved with creating the movie have said just that.

It varies on the film.

There have been lots of different cuts and they all give new life to the question. I think the latest 'Final Cut' basically confirms Deckard is a replicant, but I don't completely remember.

I think so, but it's definitely something left up for you to decide; especially in the original theatrical cut.

Yeah, basically in all the good cuts of the film Deckard is a replicant, but in the theatrical cut it's left up to your imagination.

He's not a replicant IMO. One of the major themes of the film is what it mean to be human. By insinuating that Decker could be a replicant, the film forces the audience to further explore that idea.

   

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    He's not a replicant IMO. One of the major themes of the film is what it mean to be human. By insinuating that Decker could be a replicant, the film forces the audience to further explore that idea.
    i like your take on it, but let's face it--

if you're left wondering about deckard's identity then you've pretty much missed the point of the movie, nevermind the book.

READ THE F-CKING BOOK, IDIOTS.

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i like your take on it, but let's face it--

if you're left wondering about deckard's identity then you've pretty much missed the point of the movie, nevermind the book.

READ THE F-CKING BOOK, IDIOTS.
    the book and the movie are both different so there's no point in bringing the book up, in the book he's clearly human, in the theatrical version it's up to you and in the director's cut he is pretty much a replicant, there's not much else to it