Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,028
Default Try these teams vs. the world...

Lot of trashing of the NBA players and style of play going but I got to thinking what if you took a really good team with the type of synergy required to play the International game and wondered how do you guys think these teams would fare in International ball with the competition as it stands today. Now mind you some of these teams have international guys but that's not the point. Award with medals such as Gold, Silver or Bronze. Anyway here they go:

2006 Mavericks
2006 Suns
2005 Spurs
2004 Pistons
2002 Kings
2001 Lakers
2001 Trailblazers
1996 Bulls
1996 Sonics
1995 Rockets
1993 Phoenix Suns
1992 Bulls
1992 Trailblazers
1990 Pistons
1989 Cavaliers
1986 Celtics
1985 Lakers
1983 Sixers
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted
 
bigkingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 1 NBA Championship*
Posts: 10,869
Default

I didn't follow B-ball until the early 90's so can't comment on those 80's team, but off the list the team with the best chance at winning a gold: 2005 Spurs, 2002 Kings, 1996 Bulls.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #3
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!
 
dejordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,322
Default

2006 Mavericks - Gold
2006 Suns - Bronze (No defense)
2005 Spurs - Gold
2004 Pistons - Gold
2002 Kings - Silver (Argentina would get Horry somehow)
2001 Lakers - Gold
2001 Trailblazers - Silver (Choke artists!)
1996 Bulls - Gold
1996 Sonics - Gold
1995 Rockets - Gold
1993 Phoenix Suns - Gold
1992 Bulls - Gold
1992 Trailblazers - Gold
1990 Pistons - Gold
1989 Cavaliers - Silver (I love this team, but they never finished off good opponents)
1986 Celtics - Gold
1985 Lakers - Gold
1983 Sixers - Gold
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,991
Default

any top flight nba team will win gold. you basically still producing better talent than any inter. team, but with some sort of chemistry and system.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted
 
bigkingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 1 NBA Championship*
Posts: 10,869
Default

You need great passing, unselfish basketball, and perimeter game to win at the international stage... a lot of those teams would not win.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
TheHonestTruth
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 907
Default

Didn't the Celtics, Lakers and Bucks play in McDonalds' championship tournament in Europe (essentially playing against the top teams in Europe) back in the 80s (not at the same time, one NBA team per year) and all of them came back as champions?
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
Lot of trashing of the NBA players and style of play going but I got to thinking what if you took a really good team with the type of synergy required to play the International game and wondered how do you guys think these teams would fare in International ball with the competition as it stands today. Now mind you some of these teams have international guys but that's not the point. Award with medals such as Gold, Silver or Bronze. Anyway here they go:

2006 Mavericks
2006 Suns
2005 Spurs
2004 Pistons
2002 Kings
2001 Lakers
2001 Trailblazers
1996 Bulls
1996 Sonics
1995 Rockets
1993 Phoenix Suns
1992 Bulls
1992 Trailblazers
1990 Pistons
1989 Cavaliers
1986 Celtics
1985 Lakers
1983 Sixers


Mavs without Dirk and Diop.
Suns without Nash and Diaw
Spurs without Parker and Ginobili.
Kings without Peja and Vlade.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
2002 Kings - Silver (Argentina would get Horry somehow)

Damn man. Just when I was getting over that shot and the one agains the Pistons last year...
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted
 
bigkingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 1 NBA Championship*
Posts: 10,869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth
Didn't the Celtics, Lakers and Bucks play in McDonalds' championship tournament in Europe (essentially playing against the top teams in Europe) back in the 80s (not at the same time, one NBA team per year) and all of them came back as champions?


The world has gotten a lot better since the 80's, so those wins are worthless to current level.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
dak121
College superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,384
Default

Any of those Bulls teams on that list would win it fairly easily. All of the 80s teams, the Pistons, the 93 Suns, the Rockets, Spurs, and Kings would also take it.

If this past season's Heat was on the list they may not even medal. Shaq is at the end of the line and the zone defense would take Wade out of his game completely. Their interior defense would be strong though.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
allball
National High School Star
 
allball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Spring, TX (H-town)
Posts: 2,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
If this past season's Heat was on the list they may not even medal. Shaq is at the end of the line and the zone defense would take Wade out of his game completely. Their interior defense would be strong though.

That's why thy're not on the list. Not made for this style.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
mistadobilina
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 34
Default

Haven't been watching the world championships but are the international players that good or are the US that bad?

on another note... how do you think the 96 dream team would have done?
mistadobilina is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy