Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Is Steve Novak the Best Three Point Shooter in the League?

the way allen shoots makes me think he's just as well off shooting the way he does rather than open set shots. high, fast release, good elevation. that combined with his conditioning makes him deadly off of curls. I don't think he's ideal for open spot-up shooting though. not the way novak is. he'd probably be 40-45% if he shot like that.

Decent college freshman

he shot 97% from the line one season in college . . .

I honestly didnt know who Novak was before the Linsanity fanfare.

But this NOvak guy can hit open shots but can also pump fake take one dribble either toward left or right and is still confident.

I can speak from experience how hard it is to make jumpshots off the dribble as opposed to simply catch and shoot.

Decent college freshman

Morrow and Kapono might be close. I think by the end of the year Novak will have the best percentage among players who have shot 500 or more.

I know he's a bad defender and all, but still I have no idea how he hasnt stuck on teams being the shooter he is. He'll never shoot you out of games, but he'll shoot you into them without a doubt.

I have no doubt he would win the 3 point competition if he was given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    okay, Novak beats Ray Allen and it's not even much of a competition.

The only guys who I think you can even argue for are guys like Rush, James Jones, Morrow, Korver. Guys who are only in the NBA because they can spot up shoot ridiculously. I think he's a notch better than all of them. I think if he gets a consistent role on the Knicks this year, he's going to average around 50% from three.
    I never understood how the fame and accolades of the player gets in a way of recognising the very same player.
    So now Ray isn't the best three point shooter, why well because he's all around good, lets name some scrub the best three point shooter so we look cool and independant.

negged.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    I never understood how the fame and accolades of the player gets in a way of recognising the very same player.
    So now Ray isn't the best three point shooter, why well because he's all around good, lets name some scrub the best three point shooter so we look cool and independant.

negged.
    I've been watching Ray Allen play for most of my life, and I doubt you've seen Novak play at all, because if had you would know he is no joke. Novak was a legendary shooter in college. Ray Allen is a great shooter and will go down as one of the best ever, but Steve Novak is better at uncontested, spot-up threes than him. Ray Allen isn't a HOF player because he's the best shooter in the league. There are a few guys who literally can't do anything but shoot who are better than him. He's a HOF player because he's one of the best shooters in the league and has a decent all around game.

Yeah, like I care about looking cool and independent. That's why I said it. Are you kidding me. Watch Steve Novak play and then tell me I'm just saying it to be cool and independent.

Decent college freshman

like it's blasphemy to say another human being might be better at shooting than Ray Allen . . .

3 Ball like Piatkowski dab0yech0's Avatar

I watched him in LA with the Clippers. This guy is nicknamed "Sureshot" Steve for one reason, he really will knock down everything wide open. We would bring him ice cold into the game into late game situations to spread the floor because this guy truely is a dead eye shooter.

Is he a superstar? Hell to the F no by any means at all. He is in the same mold as a Jason Kapono as in he will be a stretch guy who will knock down his 3s. Will he bring you anything else other than shooting? Absolutely not.

I really hope he gets to join a 3pt contest though. I really think he would win one. Jeff Van Gundy once said that they should rename the 3pt contest to the Steve Novak Contest.

Game winner vs Nets
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH7rWcLaCPw

Game winner vs Kings, ice cold off the bench only possession played in the whole game
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHKWJ8yCqBE

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    I've been watching Ray Allen play for most of my life, and I doubt you've seen Novak play at all, because if had you would know he is no joke. Novak was a legendary shooter in college. Ray Allen is a great shooter and will go down as one of the best ever, but Steve Novak is better at uncontested, spot-up threes than him. Ray Allen isn't a HOF player because he's the best shooter in the league. There are a few guys who literally can't do anything but shoot who are better than him. He's a HOF player because he's one of the best shooters in the league and has a decent all around game.

Yeah, like I care about looking cool and independent. That's why I said it. Are you kidding me. Watch Steve Novak play and then tell me I'm just saying it to be cool and independent.
    Well if you want your three point player be better than Ray Allen at uncontested, spot-up threes, you can take that. But how about three point shooting?
    Ofcourse some no-namers that are only good for one single thing have to be somewhat comparable to the top players at that very specific thing (note uncontested spot-up threes), but this is ridiculous. Instead of going to the bank you just pick somebody. Man I hate that. The choice is obvious, it's in front of you. Yet, Steve Novak... Who is that guy? I don't care how many uncontested spot up shots he has made, come back when he's been in the league 10 years. Those guys are liabilities on every single other thing, but you find a reason to celebrate them, even call the best. I know this guy, he's just like you, he knows all piatkowskis, a-morrisons, crotties, and always talk how good of a players they were. Why? I don't know. Maybe he just likes betas.

Certified ISHiot.

Novak is ridiculous. I swear you could leave him on the bench for an entire season, ask him to come in and knock down one huge three in the 82nd game, and he'd make it.

If Novak was such a great three point shooter, he wouldn't be team-hopping. Teams would keep him if the positives outweigh the negatives. Now, how to explain the man-love Popovich has for Bonner, who is a fatter Novak with a slower release to boot (especially over Splitter).

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    If Novak was such a great three point shooter, he wouldn't be team-hopping.
    Ehh, no. If Novak wasn't such a great three-point shooter, he'd be working at a gas station or something. There is one reason and one reason only that Steve Novak continues to make NBA rosters: he can knock down a three-point shot.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    Well if you want your three point player be better than Ray Allen at uncontested, spot-up threes, you can take that. But how about three point shooting?
    Ofcourse some no-namers that are only good for one single thing have to be somewhat comparable to the top players at that very specific thing (note uncontested spot-up threes), but this is ridiculous. Instead of going to the bank you just pick somebody. Man I hate that. The choice is obvious, it's in front of you. Yet, Steve Novak... Who is that guy? I don't care how many uncontested spot up shots he has made, come back when he's been in the league 10 years. Those guys are liabilities on every single other thing, but you find a reason to celebrate them, even call the best. I know this guy, he's just like you, he knows all piatkowskis, a-morrisons, crotties, and always talk how good of a players they were. Why? I don't know. Maybe he just likes betas.
    sorry for making a thread on steve novak. i forgot that ray allen's the only shooter I'm allowed to praise. i'll only make threads about alphas from now on if it pleases you. off to write the 7000th kobe versus lebron thread.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    Novak is ridiculous. I swear you could leave him on the bench for an entire season, ask him to come in and knock down one huge three in the 82nd game, and he'd make it.

that's what I'm saying. the man is unnatural. he doesn't have cold streaks or rhythm. he's a machine. he's inhuman. there are great shooters and then there's steve novak.