Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3340414243444546 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Rewards of the tank:2014 off-season!

Marc Stein: Hearing Utah Jazz closing in on two-year, $2 million deal free-agent guard Toure Murry, who had also been chased by Heat & incumbent Knicks Twitter

a bunch of stuff disappeared

Jody Genessy: Toure Murry's agent, Bernie Lee, said the report of an imminent deal with the Jazz is "news to him." He had no further comment. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

[QUOTE]he Utah Jazz Jazz have named Dean Cooper as Head Coach of the Idaho Stampede.

Cooper spent the past two seasons as an assistant coach for the Houston Rockets.

Gino Pilato: Two Idaho Stampede players from a season ago will take part in Utah Jazz training camp, Kevin Murphy and Dee Bost. Twitter @DleagueDigest
    I think Murphy was one of the better players in the D-league last year. He has some scoring ability. He might have a shot. I believe they've had Bost in camp before too ?

Gino Pilato: Two Idaho Stampede players from a season ago will take part in Utah Jazz training camp, Kevin Murphy and Dee Bost. Twitter @DleagueDigest
    He's certainly looking bigger. Might be able to play him at some 4?

Jonathan Feigen: That's their plan and his, but no agreement on deal yet RT @rjanssen37: @Jonathan_Feigen is it ture that the rockets re sign fransico garcia Twitter

The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has signed free-agent guard Dee Bost. Per team policy, financial terms were not released. NBA.com
    Doesn't shoot well. Looks like he does some other things though.

Jody Genessy: Guard Dee Bost's deal with Jazz/Stampede is worth $65,000, per sources. He'll attend Jazz camp but will likely play in D-League for Idaho. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Eric Pincus: The Utah Jazz signed Dee Bost to a 3-yr $2.35 mil contract - 1st season $65k guaranteed - rest non @BBallInsiders Twitter @EricPincus
    He'll likely make the team until contracts become guaranteed at least I'd think. They got their vet I guess. All of 25!

I wonder if the Jazz are looking to sign him or Murray still? They have 13 guaranteed contracts and the partial for Bost. Probably like to have some flexibility.

With the Jazz already having guards Alec Burks, Trey Burke, Dante Exum and Ian Clark on the roster as well as guard-forwards Gordon Hayward and Rodney Hood, Bost may have a difficult time making the team.
    Burks and Exum could be playing some 3 so there's room for him.

He could end up playing again for Idaho, which is the D-League affiliate for the Jazz, if he doesn’t make the roster after training camp.

Bost was an D-League all-star last year when he averaged 15.2 points, 8.4 assists, 6.1 rebounds and 2.1 steals for Idaho. He scored in double figures in 41 of 50 games and also registered five triple-doubles and 10 double-doubles.

At Mississippi State, Bost played with Jazz first-round draft choice Rodney Hood in 2009-10 when Hood made the SEC all-freshman team. That year Bost averaged 13.0 points per game and was named second-team all-SEC, while Hood averaged 10.3 points per game.
    Interesting. Wonder if that has anything to do with the signing?

Before playing for Idaho last year, the 24-year-old Bost attended training camp with the Portland Trail Blazers. He spent the 2012-13 season with Budućnost Podgorica of Montenegro, where he appeared in 54 games (44 starts) and averaged 8.3 points, 1.8 assists and 3.0 rebounds in 21.5 minutes per game.

Bost is a native of Charlotte, N.C., and besides playing at Concord High School in Concord, N.C., he played one season at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., helping lead the team to a perfect 29-0 record and the 2008 National Prep Championship.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 08-15-2014 at 09:04 PM.

[QUOTE]Former Rockets assistant Dean Cooper has been hired to coach the Jazz's D-League affiliate in Boise.

Cooper has spent the last two years in Houston on Kevin McHale's bench. But he crossed paths with Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey earlier in his career; he was hired by the Rockets in 1999 as a video coordinator and worked his way up to an assistant under Rudy Tomjanovich, before moving to the front office.

In Boise, Cooper will the man responsible for developing talent for the Jazz.
    "Having coached in the D-League for three seasons, I learned what an extension your affiliate is of your NBA program," Jazz coach Quin Snyder said in a press release. "Dean has a proven history of player development which is an integral aspect of my coaching philosophy. As an extension of our staff, he will work hand-in-hand with us to establish a clear, seamless connection to ensure we are stressing the same principles in Utah and Idaho."

Lindsey called Snyder's job a "critical component" of building an NBA team.
    "Dean

Dante Exum was a mystery, but before long we're going to be super saturated with information on the kid. From what Utah Jazz fans have seen so far, from his commercials, interviews, and play on the court, we love him. The Jazz franchise seem to as well, as they did not hesitate to pick him #5 in the 2014 NBA Draft. ESPN's panel seems to have some love for him as well, as they recently gave him enough votes to be their 4th place player in the Rookie of the Year race.
    Seems high to me. Sounds like a project at best right now but so was Kanter and he contributed as a rookie to a playoff team. I expect more from Hood this year personally.

That's not bad for a kid that few people knew much about.

I don't think that many people would argue about Jabari Parker or Andrew Wiggins taking the lion's share of the votes. Nerlens Noel is ready to make a big impact on a bad team as well. Exum is a distant fourth, but it's not a bad place to start.

If you remove the last T from that word you get star. And that's pretty much how Dante has been playing this summer. In the summer league he showed everyone his potential to be a celestial object. His first points were on a back door cut alley-oop in the half court, he made threes, passed extremely well, and even had game winning steals. While he didn't shoot too well, we all can see how he was picked Top 5.
    We can? I'd say it's because of where he was drafted.

His summer didn't end there, right now he's playing in warm up games with his national team, Australia, en route towards the FIBA World Cup 2014. The games are hard to find if you're not in front of a computer all day long. And he didn't dominate against a team that is from a basketball pipeline that they almost beat the Dream Team back in 1992. (Lithuania's basketball legacy is much larger than Australia's) But if you add up his performances together you get to see that he's doing pretty okay.

Dante Exum has played in three games (vs. Ukraine, Lithuania, and Finland), and in those games he's averaging 20.61 mpg. During his time on the court he's averaging 9.67 ppg, 1.67 rpg, 3.00 apg (with a 3:1 assist to turn over ratio), and 0.33 spg. It's not as well rounded as we'd expect, but these games don't count and he's not playing but half the game. He is scoring well enough though. 50.0 fg%, 40.0 3pt%, 72.7 ft%, and 1.21 PPS (which is cumulative league average for the NBA over the last 30 years).

What the average stats don't tell is his ability to adjust his game against how he's playing within it -- that's a self assessment ability not a lot of younger players have. He couldn't buy a bucket against Lithuania, so he instead got to the line 8 times, making 7 of them. Against Finland he needed to take more threes, and he went 2/3 from outside there. And vs the Ukraine he dominated them, and because of his aggressive play on offense and defense he was able to elicit extra defensive pressure and was then able to find his guys for easy scores.

We're going to see more of him in 16 days when the World Cup starts.

I think it's awesome that we're taking overt control of the Stampede and making the hirings. I have great confidence in what Lindsey is doing, and hopefully we'll actually use the D-League for more than 8 games this season. While Ian Clark, Carrick Felix, and possibly even Toure' Murry are elite players to make the NBA, they aren't quite great enough to displace the normative rotation of Trey Burke, Dante Exum, Alec Burks, and Gordon Hayward at the one and the two spots. More seasoning in the same time zone isn't going to hurt them.
    As far as I'm concerned Exum is a D-league possibility. I think he should have to earn his spot in the rotation and even than he might be better off playing huge minutes up there than back-up minutes in the NBA. Same with Gobert.

The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has signed free-agent forward Jack Cooley. Per team policy, financial terms were not released. Cooley (6-9, 246, Notre Dame) played for Trabzonspor in the Turkish Basketball League during the 2013-14 season, averaging 12.6 points and 6.9 rebounds in 22.9 minutes in 28 games (19 starts). NBA.com
    If I remember correctly other teams were after him too so I wonder if they had to give him some guaranteed money too? Headed for Idaho? Kabong's boy Motum has some competition it looks like anyway for a spot on the roster.

That makes 16 I believe. 4 more spots potentially. I imagine they will have another tryout camp before training camp.