Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default I would take Jonny Flynn over both Rubio and Jennings

Name: Jonny Flynn
    Position: Point Guard
    Size: 6'0" 185
    School: Syracuse (Sophomore)
    2008 Stats: 18.1 ppg, 4.9 apg, 1.9 spg, 53.5 fg%, 38.6 3fg%
    Accomplishments: New York Mr. Basketball, 3rd ranked pg out of the 2007 high school class (behind only Derrick Rose and Jerryd Bayless), 2007 McDonald's All-American, Big East Freshman of the Year, All Big East freshman Team, 3rd team freshman all-America, Most points by a Syracuse player in freshman debut (previously held by Carmelo Anthony), Member of 2006 USA Men's U18 National Team, Member of 2007 Men's U19 National Team

I watch a lot of college ball (check the forum) and this is no knock on Jennings and Rubio as I feel both of them will be great, but Flynn is the best of the 3.

Offense: Takes very high percentage shots. Likes the 3 ball and has made NBA distance 3s with ease during college games. Penetrates and gets to the basket without a problem. Ballhandling is top notch. Great court vision delivering the ball to his teammates at the right time. Finishes with the big boys in the paint despite being small.

Defense: Flynn gets right up in the chest of his defender. He pushes the opposing ball handler to center court game after game and dares them to go further. Gets into the passing lanes as his 2 steals per game show.

Athleticism: That boy got springs. Possibly the fastest pg in the nation, if not then definately fastest that will be in '09 draft.

Clutch: Game winning 3 pointer vs. St. Joeseph's, 3 pointer to tie the game at the buzzer vs. Kansas, always wants to take the game wining shot.

Character traits: For anyone concerned about attitutes and such....Was member of the National Honor Society at Niagara Falls High School, son of a pastor (hey it's gotta count for something, right? ), great with the media

Negatives: Only 6'0". May measure 5'11" without shoes at the draft. But so did DJ Augustin. Finishes strong among the big bodies for his size though.

And now for the highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuyh...eature=related (Shows his quickness, passing/court vision, and 3 point range)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVG1...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6QeSQ2BT8 (Sick pass, watch in high quality)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuyh...eature=related
    Last edited by Posterize246; 12-23-2008 at 01:26 AM.

Default Re: I would take Jonny Flynn over both Rubio and Jennings

I like Johnny Flynn, but I'd take Harden, Rubio (won't declare), and Patrick Mills over him as far as guards go.

I think he's got star potential though, he plays with a lot of fire and has shown to be clutch. I would definitely take him if I was a lottery team.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    I like Johnny Flynn, but I'd take Harden, Jennings, Rubio (won't declare), and Patrick Mills over him as far as guards go.

I think he's got star potential though, he plays with a lot of fire and has shown to be clutch.
    I would take Harden too, but I'm just going as far as pg's as Rubio and Jennings are rated at the top right now at the position. Mills is good, I like Flynn more though.

Flynn reminds me of Rodney Stuckey a little bit. Looks promising but of course I don't follow college basketball so I have no idea how good he is.

Quote Originally Posted by w00terz
    Flynn reminds me of Rodney Stuckey a little bit. Looks promising but of course I don't follow college basketball so I have no idea how good he is.
    Stuckey has a lot more size. Flynn is more of a point than Stuckey.

If I had to compare Flynn 2 one player I guess I'd go Baron Davis (less bulk). But I really don't like to make player comparisons like that because you'll never find 2 exactly alike.

Sad thing is that this kid will probably be drafted before he can play 4 years in college. I don't know much about this guy but a solid 4 years in college would really help his game.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Sad thing is that this kid will probably be drafted before he can play 4 years in college. I don't know much about this guy but a solid 4 years in college would really help his game.
    As it would anyone. I would recommend 3+ years of college to any player. Point I'm trying to get across: Rubio/Jennings are getting more hype than a player who's better than them playing right here on our home grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246

If I had to compare Flynn 2 one player I guess I'd go Baron Davis (less bulk). But I really don't like to make player comparisons like that because you'll never find 2 exactly alike.
    Ha, Baron Davis is the first person that came to my mind as well. A shorter, less bulky B-Diddy.

True. He does look like he has a similar style of play.

Just another interesting stat:

Flynn was co-freshman of the year in the Big East, getting the award over fellow teammate Donte Green (28th pick of '08 draft).

Also, Flynn's conditioning is top notch as he averaged 39.2 mpg in conference play (college games are 40 mpg) which was 4th in the nation.

Ich Liebe die Bulls! CelticForce1349's Avatar

Name: Jonny Flynn
    Position: Point Guard
    Size: 6'0" 185
    School: Syracuse (Sophomore)
    2008 Stats: 18.1 ppg, 4.9 apg, 1.9 spg, 53.5 fg%, 38.6 3fg%
    Accomplishments: New York Mr. Basketball, 3rd ranked pg out of the 2007 high school class (behind only Derrick Rose and Jerryd Bayless), 2007 McDonald's All-American, Big East Freshman of the Year, All Big East freshman Team, 3rd team freshman all-America, Most points by a Syracuse player in freshman debut (previously held by Carmelo Anthony), Member of 2006 USA Men's U18 National Team, Member of 2007 Men's U19 National Team

I watch a lot of college ball (check the forum) and this is no knock on Jennings and Rubio as I feel both of them will be great, but Flynn is the best of the 3.

Offense: Takes very high percentage shots. Likes the 3 ball and has makes NBA distance 3s with ease during college games. Penetrates and gets to the basket without a problem. Ballhandling is top notch. Great court vision delivering the ball to his teammates at the right time. Finishes with the big boys in the paint despite being small.

Defense: Flynn gets right up in the chest of his defender. He pushes the opposing ball handler to center court game after game and dares them to go further. Gets into the passing lanes as his 2 steals per game show.

Athleticism: That boy got springs. Possibly the fastest pg in the nation, if not then definately fastest that will be in '09 draft.

Clutch: Game winning 3 pointer vs. St. Joeseph's, 3 pointer to tie the game at the buzzer vs. Kansas, always wants to take the game wining shot.

Character traits: For anyone concerned about attitutes and such....Was member of the National Honor Society at Niagara Falls High School, son of a pastor (hey it's gotta count for something, right? ), great with the media

Negatives: Only 6'0". May measure 5'11" without shoes at the draft. But so did DJ Augustin. Finishes strong among the big bodies for his size though.

And now for the highlights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuyh...eature=related (Shows his quickness, passing/court vision, and 3 point range)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWVG1...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6QeSQ2BT8 (Sick pass, watch in high quality)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnuyh...eature=related

Agreed. Flynn is my favorite point guard not in the NBA yet.

BTW, Andy Rautins tonight hitting 9 treys! For those that made their way to the Dome with over two feet of snow on the ground it was all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
    Agreed. Flynn is my favorite point guard not in the NBA yet.

BTW, Andy Rautins tonight hitting 9 treys! For those that made their way to the Dome with over two feet of snow on the ground it was all worth it.
    Yeah I saw that box score. Rautins went off. Flynn with 10 assists.

man flynn and paul harris are amazing. they were a hell of a duo back in high school.

more Flynn highlights...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...84321&n8pe6c=2 (takes over the game vs. Memphis, watch how easily he blows by defenders)

http://video.aol.com/partner/cbs/a-n...aOV6wqGvN0YRnF ("ping pong is my everything" ) that competitveness!

http://syracuse.fandome.com/video/10...s-In-OT-89-81/ (shows off the hops and clutch 3 to tie the game at the buzzer to send to OT)

Johnny Flynn and Manny Harris - two of the most underrated [sophomore] players in the NCAA. Love watching both of these guys play, whoever picks them up in the draft will be in for a pleasant NBA ready surprise.