Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #3571
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Think she should have won over Bullock.

I didn't see Bullock's performance so I can't judge. I was pulling for Meryl Streep anyways.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #3572
Seymour Glass
MyMindIsMyOwnChurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
I didn't watch watchmen, there is no way they could have accurately conveyed that graphic novel onto the big screen and also mold it to appeal to a general audience.

Watchmen really wasn't that bad. It stayed true to Alan Moore's story for the most part but there were obviously discrepencies in order for the film to be of bearable duration and interest for the general movie goer. The graphic novel is miles ahead of the film but it was par for the course for a film adaptation.
Seymour Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #3573
paperstreet
Serious playground baller

The Doors - Oliver Stone- 1991

Very meh. There's a new documentary on the Doors out called "When You're Strange" I saw recently, and decided I'd see the Val Kilmer/Oliver Stone feature.

I am not really a Doors fan, but the When You're strange seemed to tell a better story. I was bored with the Oliver Stone movie, and it just seemed to be Val Kilmer with long hair acting like a maniac the whole time.
paperstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #3574
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

88 Minutes

I'm disappointed in Al Pacino for being in this movie.

45/100
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #3575
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
i saw the lives of others yesterday, i know im way late.
10/10. no need to explain really, if youve seen it you know. one of the best and most rewarding narrative based films ive seen of the decade. Ulrich Mühe was phenomenal also.
Im punching myself in the face, right now.. for having not yet watched this film.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #3576
ZeN
Stormblessed

Iron Man Deuce - 6.7/10

The humor was forced. The story was flimsy, rushed and without substance. Also, the action was banal and uninteresting. It did live up to what I expected..

Scarlet Jo was great, even if her scenes were rushed and muddled. Her fighting sequence was nice.. but left much to be desired. I most surely wanted more..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #3577
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

vapid you should watch watchmen, arguably the best comic book film ever, tonally it is just amazing and works so well.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #3578
ROCSteady
One of One

84/100

I really enjoyed this re-visioning of one of the best American horror icons. Freddy's mythology and Michael Myers are my favorite.

The bad: I didn't much care for all the cinematography. Typical dark, sinister blue hues. Part of what made the original NOES installments to cultural was that neon-esque look reminiscent of the 1980's. I felt it lost some of the charm in this regard even though it was intended to be darker and more aggressive. I thought they were somewhat bland in the dream sequences where they coulda really set it off!! 1980 Freddy wall face (practical) >>> 2010 Freddy wall face (CG). Also, the contrived jump scares were somewhat lame at times

The great: I really, really liked how Freddy was handled. JEH did an excellent job being a complete creep and unsettling psycho out for blood but also having some very Joker-esque black comedic lines. His backstory was well-handled I felt. Some hardcore fans b!tched about how it was either too much/too little but I enjoyed the slight deviation from the old story. For those who felt it wasn't enough....this is a HORROR SLASHER film (sequels).

The medicore/good: The acting was surprisingly passable for slasher teens. I liked and actually cared about Nancy and her Bf, Quentin. They had decent chemistry and although Rooney Mara was somewhat bland, it could be said shewas stoic as well. Katie Cassidy and Thomas Dekker also were pretty dam,n good for a film like this, given their purpose. Heather Lagenkamp still was a superior Nancy, although I liked how they made the new one a artsy fartsy chick.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #3579
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
Finally got around to seeing Terminator Salvation.

It was pretty close to what I expected. The action was decent at times, but it felt directionless and all the characters and performances sucked.

coming from a MASSIVE fan of the original 2......I thought Anton Yelchin played a pretty good young Michael Biehn in a lot of ways
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #3580
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
Think she should have won over Bullock.

Easily. Carey Mulligan's performance was one of the best overall acting jobs last year.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #3581
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Iron Man 2- 7.3/10

To be honest it's only slightly worse than the first but since we don't get that surprise factor of the movie it seems lower.

I made it a point to see it in theaters because the experience is better there than at my house due to sound and such. I mean, contrary to what others say I found the humor to be good in a lot places. The action was good, the ending a little anti-climactic.

I feel Don Cheadle is the superior Rhodes. But his part was severely under written. Sam Rockwell is outstanding as usual. I was confused because Oliva Munn is just a reporter when I thought she was Iron Maiden.

And Scarlett Jo.... goddam!

All in all, decent.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #3582
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

The last movie I saw I saw for the 2nd time.... does that count?

It was Starter For 10.

I liked it so much the first time that I wanted to watch it with my gf..... she didn't like it.... figures.

7.5/10
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #3583
Jackass18
The Iron Price

An American Werewolf in London

It seems like it's been a while since I've seen a good horror movie, so I'm glad I finally got around to watching this. Good atmosphere, good imagery, good pace, overall just a good movie. It is a bit slow at times, but it's also a bit brutal at times, as well. If you haven't seen it and are in the mood for a good werewolf movie, then give it a try. B+
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:13 AM   #3584
Apples
Banned

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - A pretty good mystery that does a solid job of building itself up so you don't get bored. I like the focus that was put on the character "Lisbeth". Obviously her look stands out in the movie, but it was her experiences that kept you interested. The mystery was also well written. Plenty of serial killers target women, but the reason these women were targed was different than what is usually seen.

I would have liked a different ending for one of the characters, because it just didn't fit what we had learned about them up until that point.

If you don't mind sub-titles, often enjoy mystery-thrillers, then I would definitely recommend this movie. I don't like to do numerical ratings anymore. I rate it "A GOOD MOVIE"
Apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #3585
BRabbiT

4/5
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: