Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Default Re: Yi is stuck up.

Another young Chinese man name Yi Li is now making waves in Asia. He stands at 6'9 ( probably 6'11 in the NBA Listing). He is a great scorer and reminds me alot of Marco Belinnelli and a Manu Ginobili type of player.

ANOTHER ASIAN SENSATION?

As much as the brightest lights of international scouting point towards Europe, we shouldnít forget other places where basketball is quickly growing in popularity and quality. For example China, where thereís life beyond Yi Jianlian, even if heís the clear-cut best NBA prospect in this emerging country (should he declare for this upcoming draft, he would likely be a first round pick). A generation mate of his (assuming that Yi Jianlian was actually born in 1987), Yi Li is one of the CBA youngsters that shows the best potential right now.

Yi plays for the Jiangsu Dragons, a rather strong team that made it to the CBA finals last season. He enjoys meaningful and consistent playing time there, averaging around 15 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists per game. Standing 6-9, Yi looks like a legit small forward even if heís usually forced to play power forward. His decent athleticism, nice skill set and basketball instincts make him a rather intriguing package. He enjoys quite an effective jumper featuring 3-point range and can easily put the ball on the floor with either hand to attack the hoop. Li is also capable of changing directions impressively while showing some quickness, footwork and good ability to finish around the rim. Heís still learning to take advantage of his size near the basket, but already shows some willingness to post-up smaller match-ups, usually to finish with a turnaround jumper. Not a bad passer at all, he shows very nice basketball IQ making decisions on the court.

Thereís a huge knock on him, though. Yi is extremely skinny, thin as a rail. If Chinese players usually lack strength, Yiís case is off the charts, looking a bit like a starving kid. Of course his body is completely underdeveloped, but to get over this flaw will be a very difficult task considering his very poor frame. Right now heís outmuscled every time he touches a rival, often becoming a defensive liability for his team. Thatís why itís rather surprising to see him placed at the power forward spot and many times having to defend paint players. This is at least a good way for him to add some toughness while battling against the bigs.

Therefore, take this just as a small introduction to someone who might develop into something interesting down the road, but is still light-years away from being considered a real NBA prospect.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #17
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
1 for 5 FGs in the last game, and 0 for 5 in the game before that with 3 whopping points. dude's getting shut out on the floor, shooting 25% while averaging 7 fouls and 5 turnovers. practically all his scoring are from free throws. dude's game is soft, and he should have nothing to be stuck up about. he's embarrassing himself off the court, and apparently, he's embarrassing himself on the court as well.

One last time, all together now:

It. Is. The. Summer. League.

Stats don't matter. Perhaps go back to bed?
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #18
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles and Miles
Well if Yi wants to come to Sacramento and the Kings are dieing to get rid of Artest then it seems a trade can be worked out there.
Artest has negative value, not positive.

Sacramento's positive value players are Kevin Martin and Spencer Hawes.

If Milwaukee wanted an Artest type player with their #6 pick, they could have drafted Corey Brewer, who is not insane, has upside, and will get paid peanuts for the next five years.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #19
artest 93
Local High School Star

Marketing.

Yi should play for Milwaukee imo but I wouldn't hold it against him if he doesn't. Let it go people. If he sucks and he loses his chance to make the millions offered here, then we can laugh but I think its like supply and demand, many other teams are willing to take him so...
artest 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #20
VeeCee15
High School Starter

Yi is just being strategic.

He knows what he's worth. He knows that his marketability,
whilst playing in the NBA, is massive because of the market in China mostly.

Hypothetically, the ideal situation for Yi would be to play
in a huge market such as LA or NY where his exposure would be tremendous on both fronts. Bigger market = more $$$.

Stern wants this as well since China's the world's new cash cow. I hope you understand that the popularity of the NBA in the United States is more or less stabilized and potential for growth is exponentially smaller than that of China.

Additionally, Yi is much more marketable than Yao Ming. His game is more exciting and yes, it matters, he is better looking than Yao. It's all about the image.

To sum it up, Yi and his representatives know that he holds A LOT of the cards and ultimately, he'll be backed up by Stern the businessman.
VeeCee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #21
Miles and Miles
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz

Tell me something I don't know. But I don't think that wasted draft pick of the Bucks has a lot of value either.
Miles and Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #22
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Tell me something I don't know. But I don't think that wasted draft pick of the Bucks has a lot of value either.
Trade Bibby For Yi
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #23
Miles and Miles

They would probably do that too. They would trade any of their starters not named Kevin for just about anything I think.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #24
BankShot
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

Sacramento's positive value players are Kevin Martin and Spencer Hawes.

If Milwaukee wanted an Artest type player with their #6 pick, they could have drafted Corey Brewer, who is not insane, has upside, and will get paid peanuts for the next five years.

I love how any conversation including Ron Artest has to mentioned when others aren't insane.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
Miles and Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I love how any conversation including Ron Artest has to mentioned when others aren't insane.

I wonder why that is???
Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #26
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
I wonder why that is???

It is not that Artest is insane, it is just that he sucks the goodness out of any environment, kind of like a shiny slot machine set on "do not pay back".

E-boy on the otherhand, is also not insane. Let us wait until he has to deal with the above mentioned winters, beer and cheese. (Of course I already love that trio)

He'll play for the bucks, and he'll like it.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #27
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:

i doubt artests value is negative. he still has value, which is why the knicks havent been able to get him. they didnt wanna give up david lee.

what about

balkman
nate
j.jeffries or j.james

for

artest
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #28
ExpatSunsFan

You know who's stuck up here? The Milwaukee Bucks.

They knew that Yi didn't want to go there, and they knew he had the option of spending a year with his national team and going back in the draft next season--which is absolutely his right, it's written right into the CBA--and how much weight did they put on that? Seeing how they took Yi with guys who were ranked right with him still on the board, the answer seems to be "none at all".

What that means is that they went beyond saying "we'll draft him anyway and we'll try to convince him to come over". They went all the way to "we'll draft him anyway because we can force him to come over". And now the Bucks are scrambling around, trying to go through every illegitimate channel (David Stern, the court of public opinion, political threats from Herb "I'm a Senator" Kohl) instead of treating Yi and his people with the respect they deserve.

I don't dislike the Bucks and I never have, but in this case I say F 'em. I hope Yi goes right back to China for a year and the Bucks are left with a big bag full of nothing.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #29
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

saw Yi play the Knicks and he didn't impress me one bit. I know it's summer league but he looked horrible out there.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #30
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
You know who's stuck up here? The Milwaukee Bucks.
That is so ridiculous I don't even know how to counter. Except to say that you must have no sense of ethics.

I think Yi should go play in China for another year and think about it. They have a large Chinese population over there, so he'll be pretty happy, and if he decides he'd still like to play in the NBA someday, the Bucks will still hold his rights.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: