Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #31
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Default Re: Yi is stuck up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
That is so ridiculous I don't even know how to counter. Except to say that you must have no sense of ethics.

I think Yi should go play in China for another year and think about it. They have a large Chinese population over there, so he'll be pretty happy, and if he decides he'd still like to play in the NBA someday, the Bucks will still hold his rights.

Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #32
HollaBolla
Banned

I spoke to Yi Jianlan in Las Vegas and he was explaining that it's her girlfriend Nia Long who is objecting for him to go to Milwaukee.

just kidding
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #33
ExpatSunsFan
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
That is so ridiculous I don't even know how to counter. Except to say that you must have no sense of ethics.

I think Yi should go play in China for another year and think about it. They have a large Chinese population over there, so he'll be pretty happy, and if he decides he'd still like to play in the NBA someday, the Bucks will still hold his rights.
No they won't, that's the whole point. If he plays on his national team and not in the Chinese league, he'll be back in the draft again next season.

We both agree he should stay away from Milwaukee, though, so that's something. :)
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #34
Mayweather
I usually hit open layups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPtZov2bcXc
Mayweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #35
adamcz
Bucks fan

The Chinese people will want to disown Yi if he sits the year out. Is focus is supposed to be on developing for the 2008 Olympics, not on living with other Chinese and filming television commercials. These are Fegan's wishes and his own; not the country of China's.

Sitting the year out will also greatly affect his career. He's at an important stage in his development, and wants to go an entire year without playing competitive basketball? I'm sure teams will be just lining up to sign him a fter that. And in the 2008 draft, what if one of the 20 teams he doesn't want to play for drafts him? He'll go back to China again and enter the 2009 draft?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #36
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
No they won't, that's the whole point. If he plays on his national team and not in the Chinese league, he'll be back in the draft again next season.

He's right.
http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-X.php

Section 4. Negotiating Rights to Draft Rookies.
(a) A Team that drafts a player shall, during the period from the date of such NBA Draft (hereinafter, the “Initial Draft”) to the date of the next Draft (hereinafter, the “Subsequent Draft”), be the only Team with which such player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract, provided that, on or before the July 15 immediately following the Initial Draft (for a First Round Pick), or in the two (2) weeks before the September 5 immediately following the Initial Draft (for a Second Round Pick), such Team has made a Required Tender to such player. If a Team has made a Required Tender to such a player and the player has not signed a Player Contract within the period between the Initial Draft and the Subsequent Draft, the Team that drafted the player shall lose its exclusive right to negotiate with the player and the player will then be eligible for selection in the Subsequent Draft.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #37
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
And in the 2008 draft, what if one of the 20 teams he doesn't want to play for drafts him? He'll go back to China again and enter the 2009 draft?

No, first of all he most likely would get drafted and mostly likely sign in 2008 with someone else. But if he:

1) DOESN'T sign again he becomes an unrestricted rookie FA 1 year later (2009)

2) DOESN'T get drafted in the second draft he immediately becomes a rookie UFA.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #38
adamcz
Bucks fan

I'm well aware of that rule, but it isn't realistic in Yi's case.

A: The Guangdong Tigers own Yi's rights, and need a good reason to release them. One possible reason would be to sell those rights to an NBA team. The Bucks are the only way for them to do that. Why would they release Yi for free just because he is refusing to get them their money that they want?

B: The Chinese National Team wants him in the NBA now, preparing for the 2008 Olympics. They let him skip two months of training with the national team to prepare for the draft, because they strongly believe that the NBA is where he needs to be. They will be furious if Yi decides not to get better in time for the 2008 Olympics just because he wants more money.

I don't see anybody involved allowing Yi to do this.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #39
silencespeak
Chicken Parm

One of the reasons I heard was because there wasn't a large chinese or asian population in milwakee. I can understand some discomfort about that, but seriously, millions of ballers from all over the world would kill to be in the position he's in now, may of whom would have less of their countrymen and women in milwakee.

And also if your biggest market for him is China, they'll follow him wherever he goes. If Yi wasn't stuck up about this, he'd be fighting his agent more about this. Then again, it might be the Chinese government breathing down his neck. Who knows.
silencespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #40
adamcz
Bucks fan

If you're too good to live amongst non-Chinese, stay in China *******.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #41
ExpatSunsFan

Quote:
The Chinese people will want to disown Yi if he sits the year out. Is focus is supposed to be on developing for the 2008 Olympics, not on living with other Chinese and filming television commercials.
He'll be playing with the national team. I think the "Chinese people" will see that as a reasonable alternative to riding the pine for Milwaukee.

Quote:
Sitting the year out will also greatly affect his career. He's at an important stage in his development, and wants to go an entire year without playing competitive basketball?
You mean, except with the national team?

(Most of his work has to happen in the weight room anyway.)

Quote:
A: The Guangdong Tigers own Yi's rights, and need a good reason to release them. One possible reason would be to sell those rights to an NBA team. The Bucks are the only way for them to do that. Why would they release Yi for free just because he is refusing to get them their money that they want?
Because they'll get their money next year? It's not like they can force him to sign in the U.S.; all they can do is release him or not.

Quote:
B: The Chinese National Team wants him in the NBA now, preparing for the 2008 Olympics. They let him skip two months of training with the national team to prepare for the draft, because they strongly believe that the NBA is where he needs to be. They will be furious if Yi decides not to get better in time for the 2008 Olympics just because he wants more money.

Real smooth move there by your team's owner and GM...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #42
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
I think the "Chinese people" will see that as a reasonable alternative to riding the pine for Milwaukee.
And why would he be riding the pine in Milwaukee? Because he's not man enough to fight for minutes with Charlie Villanueva, the best PF of all time? Which teams can he earn minutes on then?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #43
ExpatSunsFan

Quote:
And why would he be riding the pine in Milwaukee?
Because he shot 20% in summer league.

He should have no problem earning minutes for the Chinese NT though...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #44
supraman
I usually hit open layups

From nbadraft.net

Team China had hoped to get another win after beating Cleveland in their 3rd game, but they'll have be satisfied with just one as their record fell to 1-4 at the hands of the quick and athletic Celtics.

Yi Jianlian struggled once again, as he apparently needs to get more comfortable with the speed and strength of the NBA game. He finished with 7 points on 1-5 shooting. He's used to being the biggest and best athlete on the court, and in the NBA he won't be able to rely solely on that. He has a lot of offensive moves, but right now they are unpolished as he is trying to do too much before squaring up to the basket and assessing the defense. Some quality coaching and being more relaxed will help his offensive game considerably.

I spoke with Yi's agent Dan Fegan again who cleared up his stance with Yi and the Bucks. He told me that the big misconception about going to Milwaukee is that it's about marketing. I mentioned the fact that a lot of the marketing was happening in China, so I questioned whether it was really that important that Yi be in a major US city. He agreed, saying that the biggest reason for their holdout from Milwaukee was the current team and the lack of an immediate opportunity for Yi. With Bogut, Villanueva, Simmons and Gadzuric all under contract, they are forced to play those guys. And the idea that Yi gets off on the wrong foot could have lasting affects on his career. The stance at this point is hard line and they are threatening to go back to China and re-enter next year's draft where they feel Yi can be a top 3 pick. According to Fegan, as long as Yi isn't being paid by a team, he can re-enter the draft next year, so he would play for the Chinese National Team and not for the Guongdong Tigers.

Scouts take on the situation is a little different. Their assessment is that is stems from Yi's Nike contract. Yi can make a lot more money from Nike if he's in a larger market. Therefore if he doesn't blow up between now and his second contract, he will still make the endorsement money from the Nike deal. One scout said he didn't think re-entering the draft was likely because all the Bucks would have to do to retain his rights would be to tender him a contract. The scout also said he felt Yi would ultimately suit up for the Bucks, as it would send the wrong message about Chinese players if Yi didn't play this season, and China wants their players in the NBA.
supraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #45
ExpatSunsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman
One scout said he didn't think re-entering the draft was likely because all the Bucks would have to do to retain his rights would be to tender him a contract.

Good thing that guy requested anonymity.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: