Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #46
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Default Re: Yi is stuck up.

With all the teams looking for him, they may aswell trade him. I simply wouldn't want a player that doesn't want to be there. Now I wouldn't say that if Im the GM, but I'd shop the hell out of him
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #47
artest 93
Local High School Star

well i tihnk its yi's /agent/family/country's fault for not wanting to be in milwaukee but i don't see whats such a big problem. if he really doesnt want to be there, why dont they trade him? its not like no team is interested. this is a special occasion since he did just get drafted but still its the idea that the player does not want to be there and others want him. if it was a scrub complaining...which yi may just be.
artest 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 AM   #48
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

so the bucks now admit they have enough powerforwards and dont really need Yi. so why the fuck did they draft him for?
To market Milwaukee into international spotlight..
these MF's..

I blame the bucks just as much, because they want him for the same reason Yi doesnt want them. They want to use Yi just to market their city, and get attention. "We drafted the best player available" my fucking ass.

I hope yi sits out the year.. i just want to see how dumb the bucks GM will look after this.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:16 AM   #49
zebraheat
Not airballing my layups anymore

Milwaukee will have his rights, all they have to do is offer a tender. He cannot re-enter the draft. He will suit up to the Bucks and how he plays will determine his minutes. If he is good enough; he will play.

In the end it is about GREED! Nike, and ignoring their slogan: Just do it!

I know the Chinese government would not such a problem. If he is chosen by the Bucks its because they WANT HIM.
zebraheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 AM   #50
kentatm
NBA Legend

there better not be any Kobe fans bashing Yi b/c the golden god did the same thing when he was drafted.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #51
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripthekik
so the bucks now admit they have enough powerforwards and dont really need Yi. so why the fuck did they draft him for?
To market Milwaukee into international spotlight..
these MF's..
You're ignorant. The draft is the only way for a small market team to aquire a star, and a star is what Milwaukee needs. What Milwaukee doesn't need is another role player, or two role players and a second round pick, or whatever else could've been gotten with that pick. It was Larry Harris' job to draft the guy with the best chance to be a star, and that's exactly what he did.
Quote:
I blame the bucks just as much, because they want him for the same reason Yi doesnt want them. They want to use Yi just to market their city, and get attention. "We drafted the best player available" my fucking ass.
Ok, so you tell us: who had a better chance to be a star than Yi? If Yi wasn't the best player, who was?

Should the NBA draft continue to exist, or would you prefer they get rid of it, and players just pick which teams they want to sign up with?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #52
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
You're ignorant. The draft is the only way for a small market team to aquire a star, and a star is what Milwaukee needs. What Milwaukee doesn't need is another role player, or two role players and a second round pick, or whatever else could've been gotten with that pick. It was Larry Harris' job to draft the guy with the best chance to be a star, and that's exactly what he did.
Ok, so you tell us: who had a better chance to be a star than Yi? If Yi wasn't the best player, who was?

Should the NBA draft continue to exist, or would you prefer they get rid of it, and players just pick which teams they want to sign up with?
While I think that Yi will suck, at least for a long time, he's making the bucks known for sure.
chains5000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #53
gaydad

Quote:
The article on ESPN today says that these demands aren't just from his agent; Yi means them himself.
of course: agents act according to their clients' direction.
I'm neutral on this topic but I don't see why anyone should blame Yi for wanting to play elsewhere: his life belongs to himself, not to the NBA. If he has enough leverage and will to pull a trade, than good for him I say.
You forget the NBA is a business, not a sacral entity
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:21 AM   #54
adamcz
Bucks fan

Yi isn't even willing to play on half of the teams in the NBA. How would the NBA work if all players felt as entitled as him? Each player submits a list of 10 teams that they're willing to play for, and then if your team was picked by anybody, you can enter the draft and choose one?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #55
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

Quote:
Yi isn't even willing to play on half of the teams in the NBA. How would the NBA work if all players felt as entitled as him? Each player submits a list of 10 teams that they're willing to play for, and then if your team was picked by anybody, you can enter the draft and choose one?
it's a business. Even if the draft was like what you described, the NBA would still work as long as there's the salary cap. Why? Supply and Demand. Econ101.

Lakers have a lot of stars that want to play for them. They can only pay $200 million total. Not everyone will get in.
Soon players will be wooed by small market teams because they have the money to pay them to come play for them. If the money has enough incentive, you bet ur ass there will be stars willing to go there.

This makes the NBA teams equalized again.
From what we can all see, there are very few players who are willing to receive little money just so they can play for a team they favor - trying to win a championship, or staying close to family. The only time that happens is when the player is at the end of their career.

Look at the young players, which one of them would say No if Jazz offered them big bucks? Currently all the rookies coming out of college would be willing to play anywhere, because they've never seen the millions of dollars before. Each person's incentive level is different. Yi does not care, because that is not enough for him. He knows he have a better chance at another team.

Therefore the integrity of the draft is not as important as you are saying.
It is simply currently the best system to spread rookies into the NBA fairly.
Without it, the NBA will still be fine because of basic laws of demand and supply.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #56
zebraheat

Your economics analogy is as simple as Darius Miles. Just about what I would expect from someone with a gook avatar.

The NBA market situation is much more complex than your happy meal supply and demand explanation. Your have players who's worth are depended on substantial evidence, salary caps, the teams who have money to spend, the other teams who have money to spend, the success of these teams, a lot to take into account, more than I can be bothered to write.

Maybe if you have actually completed an economics unit (and done well) you could explain this accurately, common sense included.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #57
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

Why would I need to get into all that details? I just wanted to explain the concepts of how star players can still be fairly distributed to NBA teams without the need of a draft system.

Why am I supposed to write an econ paper no one's gonna read?

From what you typed, you agreed, just saying my post wasnt complex enough. Ok, get the fuck out of here now.

Last edited by ripthekik : 07-13-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #58
zebraheat

Quote:
Why would I need to get into all that details? I just wanted to explain the concepts of how star players can still be fairly distributed to NBA teams without the need of a draft system.

Why am I supposed to write an econ paper no one's gonna read?

From what you typed, you agreed, just saying my post wasnt complex enough. Ok, get the **** out of here now.

Like the aggression, just like a little angry man LOL
I did not agree with you; I likened your post to a happy meal and no where did I agree with it.

No, nobody expects you to write a economics paper, especially written by a buck-toothed, petrol-sniffing, sticky-fingered, writes his name is orange crayon batterboy.

The NBA salary cap is $56 million, not $200 million, so your lakers dreamteam with Yi as 12th man or the human victory cigar can only exist in vacuum of time, space and thought, known as your brain.

Lastly, the draft is a way for teams to improve their team by drafting the best player available to them according to their performance. It is not a way for unproven players to hitch their wagon to teams that can earn them the most sponsorship dollars. This is why players, not teams retire, because in the end of the day, it is a team sport and without the this foundation, all you have is little gooks playing 3on3 street ball.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #59
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

Could you even understand my posts? And your insults are just as dumb as you are..

Economics is made of models. Those models are supposed to simplify everything, and make things easier. Your teacher didn't tell you so? All supply/demand, equilibrium, interest rate, models were simpled down model. They take away all most other factors in the real life.

I pulled 200 million out of nowhere to give an example. You actually took it seriously? And when did I say Yi would join lakers, or a lot of people would? My post tells you that not everyone would be able to fit on the Lakers because of their salary cap.

Yeah, draft help teams improve, but they can certainly improve by their own through the free agent market. There aren't many NBA teams that improve right away by getting rookies.

And yeah, thanks for the childish insults. That only proves where you're coming from. Keep on ing
Old 07-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #60
silencespeak
Chicken Parm

Quote:
Yi isn't even willing to play on half of the teams in the NBA. How would the NBA work if all players felt as entitled as him?

Exactly why I started this thread. Look at the hundreds of players (and all the greats) who haven't complained on little bit about where they went. I think Yi is spoiled, and if he really didn't care he would've told his agent to stop masterminding his image. It's his life.
silencespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: