Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Michael Beasley- NBA position, expectations and comparisons

whoever takes him up top of the draft is going to be severely disappointed, dudes stats are overblown and he's getting overrated by the media.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

He reminds me of Rodney Rogers but 100x better.

He reminds me of a Prime Derrick Coleman with a little mix of Glenn Robinson.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    I haven't even seen him play before, but just from reading through this thread, the first name that jumps out at me for a comparison is Ron Artest. Speaking only on offense of course. Anyone agree?
    How the f.uck are people gonna make comparisons when they haven't seen someone play...he's nothing like ron artest...i read a comparison online somewhere comparing hi to derrick coleman and i like that comparison...

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha_Hai
    Never heard of him....The draft coming up is a weak one. Only guy I heard that had a some sort of slight potential coming out of this upcoming draft was OJ Mayo, and that I'm not even so sure of. He dosen't look like a franchise guy that can lead a team; a lot like Melo.
    wow...somebody doesn't watch basketball...this is one of the deepest drafts in recent memory assuming the top freshmen come out - rose, beasley, mayo, gordon, bayless, donte greene, deandre jordan, budinger, augustin, collison, the list goes on and on...pay attention, damn...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    whoever takes him up top of the draft is going to be severely disappointed, dudes stats are overblown and he's getting overrated by the media.
    The team will be severely disappointed not because he wont average his college numbers in the NBA but because he will clash with every coach he comes in contact with.

But like I said he looks like a solid 16/8 guy in his rookie year in Minnesota,he could maybe get it 20/10 at some point in his career but he has to grow up and make the effort to get better as a basketball player than as a physical specimen.

Most college players work out,get in shape,and work on their game,whether developing a mid range shot like Glen Davis did last season,or learning better footwork in the post under their position coach.

Mike Beasley hits the weights,and hits the weights,hits the weights,and then gets tatted.
    Has anybody else noticed it from how his game hasnt developed other than what he does now since his SO yr in HS,but over time hes gotten more and more muscular and had 1 or 2 new tats each season.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Anyone else seeing similarity to Shawn Marion? He's got more skill than that, but with the athleticism that enables him to play like a big even though he's not really a big I see some similarity...or maybe Antwan Jamison. Tough to compare him.

Learning to shoot layups

A smarter Lebron James.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Marion, Coleman, and Artest all have too many ball skills in my opinion. This guy can face up from about 15 feet, and blow by because of his quickness, but he's not ready to handle in open space yet, short of just barrelling down court. Rodney Rogers had too much three point game. That's about all he had for those last few years.

But everyone's got a point, they've all got some elements that Beasley seems to have.

I'm not sure I buy the 6-9 by the way. Anyone ever see him in person?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I've never seen Marion as a skilled ballhandler. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    Marion, Coleman, and Artest all have too many ball skills in my opinion. This guy can face up from about 15 feet, and blow by because of his quickness, but he's not ready to handle in open space yet, short of just barrelling down court. Rodney Rogers had too much three point game. That's about all he had for those last few years.

But everyone's got a point, they've all got some elements that Beasley seems to have.

Mostly youtube and a few of highlight clips.
    I actually wanna say a lengthier Jamal Mashburn. But Mashburn wasn't as solid of a rebounder (although Mash did average over 7 in his Hornet days). But I'll go with Mashburn as my best comparison.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    II didn't think Durant would be 6'9" either but he was a legit 6'9" at the pre-draft camp. As far as Beasley I've heard he's more lik6 6'7"-6'8". I like the Jamal Mashburn comparison a lot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    II didn't think Durant would be 6'9" either but he was a legit 6'9" at the pre-draft camp. As far as Beasley I've heard he's more lik6 6'7"-6'8". I like the Jamal Mashburn comparison a lot.
    Beasley is a true 6ft8,I saw him on the court of one of his games at Oak Hill when he was a JR.
    Im 6ft4 and he looked to be about 3-5 inches taller than me if we were side by side.

Im actually shocked they list him at 230 lbs,I really think hes in the 240-245 lbs range

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Beasley is a true 6ft8,I saw him on the court of one of his games at Oak Hill when he was a JR.
    Im 6ft4 and he looked to be about 3-5 inches taller than me if we were side by side.

Im actually shocked they list him at 230 lbs,I really think hes in the 240-245 lbs range
    Weight is often downplayed. Carmelo was already over the 230 he is now listed even at the 2003 pre-draft camp. Pretty cool you saw him in person though.

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551

- Both 6'8
    - Both extend to the 3 point range and have respectable %'s
    - Both have a quick first step.
    - Both like to pull up mid range.
    - Both have interior scoring capabilty but prefer to face up
    - Mash did seemingly play big in college and adjusted once he hit the NBA.

Again Jamal's ability to rebound may not be on par, but that is yet to be seen once Beasley hit the NBA.

Sidenote, Mashburn ended his career with the Sixers, Beasley will start his career with the same.:)