Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Mock Draft

Good High School Starter

Default 2009 Mock Draft

I know there are some other threads with mock drafts in them, but this is the slow part of the season, so why not try to create some new debate? This draft includes almost everyone that I think should/would enter their name. The teams are based roughly on where I think they will finish this season. I did include the picks that have been traded, which of course will change.

1. Sacramento-Ricky Rubio-Beno Udrih is a solid player, but Rubio is the future star of this draft. I don't think many teams would pass on Rubio, but after picking up young frontcourt players like Jason Thompson, Spencer Hawes, Donte Greene, and Sheldon Williams the Kings need to get Kevin Martin help in the backcourt, making this an even more obvious pick.

2. Oklahoma City-Blake Griffin-As close to a lock for OKC as Rubio at #1. OKC needs to bring the fans in and have a good start, but Griffin is a guy the fans will know and while he probably won't be a star, he provides a good interior option for Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

3. Memphis-Hasheem Thabeet-This teams has focused on building their perimeter with Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo, Mike Conley, and the trade of Pau Gasol. They have some decent pieces inside, but a defensive wall in the middle in Thabeet will help them a lot.

4. Minnesota-Demar DeRozan-Basically traded a similar player to DeRozan in O.J. Mayo to get Al Jefferson some help inside. With Rashad McCants possibly on the outside already, and Mike Miller likely to look to join a winner, DeRozan is a great pick to help their guard situation.

5. New York-B.J. Mullens-Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph are probably not going to last that long in New York and a big young athlete like Mullens makes some sense. I think a trade is of course very possible for this team, but if they were to keep the pick, they can't go wrong with picking up Mullens at 5.

6. Charlotte-Cole Aldrich-This team has great talent, but just can't turn that into wins. The Bobcats are hoping legit centers like Thabeet and Mullens are on the board here, but with them gone they take a reach on Aldrich to help Emeka Okafor in the post.

7. Milwaukee-Brandon Jennings-The Bucks would love to add some legit size to help out Andrew Bogut, but with most SF on the board, the Bucks hope to give their team a shot in the arm with a potential star to join Michael Redd in the backcourt.

8. Indiana-Austin Daye-Hoping to get a center to be the replacement to Jeff Foster, but nothing is left the board worth taking this high. The Pacers have a lot of depth at forward, but Daye gives them some versatility with Mike Dunleavy and Troy Murphy.

9. New Jersey-Damion James-Bobby Simmons, Jarvis Hayes, and Trenton Hassell don't exactly strike fear in their opponents, but James gives them strength in their somewhat soft frontcourt.

10. L.A. Clippers-James Harden-Despite drafting Eric Gordon last year, Harden is too much to pass up at this point. With Baron Davis this team will have a really nice guard rotation.

11. Atlanta-Chase Budinger-A step back as they didn't improve much in the offseason. Budinger helps them replace what Josh Childress brought to the team and they look to bounce back and regain their place in the playoffs.

12. Chicago-Jrue Holiday-The Bulls take some look at big men like Hansbrough and Patterson to solidfy their frontcourt, but the idea of a Rose/Holiday backcourt is too much to pass up. This pick officially ends the decent era Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich had.

13. Denver-Darren Collison-As they continue to lose ground the West the Nuggets want to re-tool with players that will continue to win games. Collison is as experienced as any college player since Shane Battier and will help them as they probably move on from the Carmelo/AI experiment.

14. Golden State-Stephen Curry-This team loves scoring and Curry will make this even more dangerous from the outside. He is a little like Monta Ellis who they have locked up long-term, but the Warriors want to score in waves and Curry will help them do that.

15. Portland-Tyler Hansbrough-This team has stockpiled young athletes, but at some point they need to look to either trade out of the draft to get some vets or pick a guy like Hansbrough that will be solid and not take the ball out of the hands of their stars.

16. Minnesota from Miami-Al-Faroug Aminu-After picking DeRozan with their first pick, the T-Wolves continue to look for young stars with Aminu likely replacing Corey Brewer as their future at SF.

17. Dallas-Patrick Patterson-The Mavs are looking to get some big men to help out Dirk Nowitzki inside and while Patterson is a bit undersized, he brings good talent to the table as they hope to regain their spot at the top the Western Conference.

18. Washington-James Anderson-This team knows how much injuries can hurt your season, and Anderson is the best player availible and may even be able to replace one of their weakest links, DeShawn Stevenson.

19. Utah from Philadelphia-Earl Clark-Clark is a guy who can do a lot of things on the court which is something the Jazz look for. Jerry Sloan doesn't like to play rookies much anyway so expect Clark to sit the bench for a year and emerge with a better shot and more fundamental base to go with his athletic ability.

20. Toronto-Victor Claver-The Raptors continue to look overseas and the 6-10 Claver is a great addition to a frontcourt full of 6-11 and 7-0 players.

21. Cleveland-John Riek-This really won't help them keep LeBron James from leaving when he hits the market, but Riek could be a nice backup center and potential replacement for Zadrunas Ilgauskas.

22. Orlando-A.J. Ogilvy-The Magic have plenty of size and defense behind Howard, but Ogilvy gives them a potential bench scorer so Howard doesn't have to do some much.

23. Philadelphia from Utah-Tyler Smith-Smith gives them another player who can do a lot of things on the court as well as some depth behind Thaddeius Young at SF and the ability to have Young continue to play some inside.

24. Oklahoma City via San Antonio-Ty Lawson-With their second pick in the draft OKC grabs a guy that will keep a fast pace off the bench and gives them a little more offensive oriented player behind Russell Westbrook.

25. Phoenix-Derrick Brown-As Grant Hill gets older and Boris Diaw always in trade talks, Brown gives them some youth and flexability for the future.

26. Detroit-Lester Hudson-The Pistons will need a lot of help as they try to win another Championship with this core and Hudson gives them another scoring punch in the backcourt.

27. Houston-Jerome Jordan-The Rockets really don't need a lot of help in the draft, but picking a legit center is a must if they hope to keep Yao fresh and not run him into the ground before he is 30.

28. New Orleans-Gerald Henderson-The Hornets want to stay on top of the NBA and while Morris Peterson, James Posey, Mike James, and Rasual Butler are solid vets, a young athlete like Henderson makes sense to help keep their edge over the next few seasons.

29. L.A. Lakers-Jordan Hill-The Lakers know better than most teams how much injuries can ruin your chances and while they would prefer a center, Hill is a solid pick to give them some depth in case they need it.

30. Minnesota via Boston-Nick Calathes-The Wolves could go in any direction with this pick, but Calathes gives them another big guard with legit PG skills.
    Last edited by monthh; 08-24-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Good High School Starter Buffalobraves's Avatar

Default Re: 2009 Mock Draft

Can blake griffin run? Otherwise I think OKC would like Thabeet.

Good High School Starter

When you ask if he can run, do you mean is he athletic? He isn't the fastest guy, but he is every bit as athletic as Kevin Durant or Michael Beasley, but with more strength. On youtube there is a good video of him getting back on D during a Memphis fastbreak where he blocks a Derrick Rose shot. When you count his strength he has got to be one of the more athletic big men that will be in this draft. Compared to Thabeet he wins in any way you would measure athletic ability, but of course Thabeet is 7-3 so that has to be taken into account.

But the thing that would really make him a lock is that he is from Oklahoma. They have already brought in Desmond Mason to help fill the seats, and he is barely a starter quality player. If they have a shot at Griffin, they would take him because he might just be neck and neck with Durant for the face of the franchise.
    Last edited by monthh; 08-24-2008 at 08:25 PM.

I've never really seen him play, I've seen Thabeet play a lot though I think they might take him still I just like his style of play on the offense.

But if they drop to the #1 pick I think they take Rubio even with the need for a center, hes just too good to pass.

I think you messed up the Utah/Philly picks. Philly has their own 1st round pick, Utah sent theirs to us, and then we sent that pick to Minnesota. So one of those picks should be "Minnesota via Philly/Utah". In other words, Minnesota has Utah's first round pick.
    Last edited by Posterize246; 08-24-2008 at 09:44 PM.

A good comparison for Griffin is Carlos Boozer. A little more athletic, but both are good in the low post, can hit the midrange J, and are undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    A good comparison for Griffin is Carlos Boozer. A little more athletic, but both are good in the low post, can hit the midrange J, and are undersized.
    I think Segre Ibaka's devolopment will be big in deciding who to draft.
    If Ibaka devolops well they can take Griffin.

If Ibaka dosen't devolp well they will take Thabeet, in need of a big.

Ty Lawson would be a steal for us with our 2nd first round pick.

Good High School Starter

Thanks for clearing that up Posterize. I think Boozer is an okay comparison, but Boozer had such great post moves in college. Griffin of course was just a freshman, but I think he has some work to do. I really don't know who to compare him to. I think Boozer with some Jamison and Harrington or something.

Buffalo, I still think Thabeet is a huge risk even at 3. I am really high on him as well, but he is a huge risk. I can't see them picking up another center so high when they have already struck out so many times. I think it is more likely they select Olgivy or another center with their second pick if they want a center.

I rule the local playground

pretty good overall i think

still have bj mullens & pattrick patterson highly overrated as well as sadly admitting i think you have both the ucla gaurds a little overrated as well- holliday will play 2 years imo

MOSTLY to not have james johnson is a shame

Thabeet won't reach the top 8. After that he's free game. He's a terriffic shotblocker but his post game has been slow to progress. People are intrigued by his 7'3" height but the guy is only 263 lbs. He needs to add a good 25 lbs to that frame AT LEAST in these next 2 years.

Maybe we're looking at a taller version of Samuel Dalembert? He can't jump like Sammy, but he can run the floor like him. Great shotblocker, good rebounder, shoots high percentage shots. Would Dalembert be worth a top 3 pick? Idk. The Sonics have loaded up on so many project bigs...

Swift (he's now a FA)
    Johan Petro
    Mouhamed Sene

And this year drafted Devon Hardin (2nd round) and Ibaka (6'11"). If the Sonics are smart they'd go after a free agent big who can help them...

Luis Scola
    Udonis Haslem
    Lamarcus Aldridge
    Brad Miller
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Carlos Boozer
    Mehmet Okur

or wait until 2010 and go after...

Al Horford
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Yao Ming
    Brandan Wright
    Troy Murphy
    Pau Gasol
    Tyson Chandler
    Eddy Curry
    Zach Randolph
    Samuel Dalembert
    Amare Stoudemire
    Greg Oden
    Spencer Hawes
    Chris Bosh

Time to get over the idea of drafting a big and try signing/trading for one.

Serious playground baller disco's Avatar

Listing Aldrich that high is quite interesting. I think he can be a great college player, but do you see something I don't? To me he seems like a poor man's Tyler Hansbrough, and even if he develops ends up putting together figures like 18/10 for Kansas, he doesn't seem like an NBA type to me. Maybe a boarderline first rounder if everything goes right, but a lottery pick? Please explain! I've only seen him play last year, but did he e.g. do someothing in HS that makes you think he can be that good NBA prospect?

If they get Oden in 2010 and they have Durant that would be sweet.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

i think if marc gasol pans out well and the iranian guy .. memphis should package darko plus their pick to get a good pf ... who knows seatlle might pass on griffin so i think memphis should get griffin.. memphis is one of the teams to watch out for because their core is young just like portland the only difference is pritchard and of course paul allen...

and i really like the idea of putting hansbrough along side oden... i think they would compliment each other but we will see how oden and aldridge plays together..

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    i think if marc gasol pans out well and the iranian guy .. memphis should package darko plus their pick to get a good pf ... who knows seatlle might pass on griffin so i think memphis should get griffin.. memphis is one of the teams to watch out for because their core is young just like portland the only difference is pritchard and of course paul allen...

and i really like the idea of putting hansbrough along side oden... i think they would compliment each other but we will see how oden and aldridge plays together..
    Yeah Portland, Memphis, and Oklahoma City are all teams of the future.