Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
dffsaf9
Decent playground baller

dffsaf9 has no real reputation yet.
Default Calculating The Quality of a PG

measure of PG "quality" calculated as assists divided by (Team FGM-PG FGM) while PG is on-court. In other words I'd like to know which PG is dominating his team's offense the most and what's more is very good at this. I believe this year it's Nash

2006-07 Regular Season(minimum 500 minutes)

1)Nash 46.8%
2)Rodriguez 45.7%
3)Ford 43.7%
4)Williams 40.3%
5)Paul 40.2%
6)Kidd 40.1%
7)Calderon 39.8%
8)Wade 38.6%
9)Tinsley 37.6%
10)Knight 36.5%
11)Davis 36.2%
12)Miller 35.5%

yes indeed Steve Nash is the tops in the league in terms of highest assisting percentage for teammate FGM while on court.

Portland's exciting import distributor (and beloved by TrueHoop) Sergio Rodriguez is giving Nash a run for the money though, albeit in far fewer minutes.

Then surprise! surprise! it's the Raptors T.J. Ford, hand picked by now GM of the Raptors Bryan Coangelo who came from Phoenix and has been modeling the Toronto rebirth to some extent on the the Suns "Nash Experiment".

Now at the very bottom of the list you get folks like:

1.7% - Mutombo
2.0% - Mourning, Mohammed
2.5% - Hunter, Diop

...and it's interesting to see the big men who pass well (Brad Miller 20%, Garnett 20%, Webber 17%, Duncan 17%, Nowitzki 17%) and the high scoring guys who don't (Amare 4.6%, Curry 4.5%, Blount 4.2%).
dffsaf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Calculating The Quality of a PG

I swear there are too many useless stats. Who the heck is "Rodriguez?"
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

NYKnicks914 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I swear there are too many useless stats. Who the heck is "Rodriguez?"
Sergio Rodriguez

I'm guessing Miller is Andre Miller and Davis is Baron Davis. Common last names should be accompanied at least with first initials
NYKnicks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has decent reputation

Calculating the quality of a PG:

If PG = Jason Kidd then
PG = Good PG
Else If PG = Steve Francis then
PG = Bad PG
End if
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffsaf9
measure of PG "quality" calculated as assists divided by (Team FGM-PG FGM) while PG is on-court. In other words I'd like to know which PG is dominating his team's offense the most and what's more is very good at this. I believe this year it's Nash

2006-07 Regular Season(minimum 500 minutes)

1)Nash 46.8%
2)Rodriguez 45.7%
3)Ford 43.7%
4)Williams 40.3%
5)Paul 40.2%
6)Kidd 40.1%
7)Calderon 39.8%
8)Wade 38.6%
9)Tinsley 37.6%
10)Knight 36.5%
11)Davis 36.2%
12)Miller 35.5%

yes indeed Steve Nash is the tops in the league in terms of highest assisting percentage for teammate FGM while on court.
Portland's exciting import distributor (and beloved by TrueHoop) Sergio Rodriguez is giving Nash a run for the money though, albeit in far fewer minutes.

Then surprise! surprise! it's the Raptors T.J. Ford, hand picked by now GM of the Raptors Bryan Coangelo who came from Phoenix and has been modeling the Toronto rebirth to some extent on the the Suns "Nash Experiment".

Now at the very bottom of the list you get folks like:

1.7% - Mutombo
2.0% - Mourning, Mohammed
2.5% - Hunter, Diop

...and it's interesting to see the big men who pass well (Brad Miller 20%, Garnett 20%, Webber 17%, Duncan 17%, Nowitzki 17%) and the high scoring guys who don't (Amare 4.6%, Curry 4.5%, Blount 4.2%).

Nash is also the most ball dominant player in the league...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #6
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has decent reputation

Wait a minute...Jason Kidd is #6?

Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
PURE POINT RATING
Pure point rating is something I created to replace assist-turnover ratio, which is a fairly useless creation because it sticks turnovers in the denominator and thus tends to reward point guards who never penetrate. Pure point rating produces much more relevant rankings of a player's ability as a distributor; the formula is:

Pure Point = (100* ((Assists * 2/3) - Turnovers))/Minutes

Steve Nash led the NBA in 2006-07 at 11.3; the next four players were Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Jose Calderon and Deron Williams.

That's a Hollinger stat. I'm not a guy who lives and dies with these numbers, but they can be usefull if they're treated as a tool, and not a bible. I do think this is a decent number. Assist/TO ratio is flawed for the exact reason stated above. Guys are too severely demerited for mistakes, and while I like a guy who's in control and making good decisions, I also don't believe that every TO is necessarily a bad decision, and I want a guy who's willing to push some.
Kidd is going to be hurt in that other system because he's the only guy on that list who plays with a real iso type wing player like VC. The next closest thing is probably Jason Richardson. Hell, Richard Jefferson might be the next closest thing. So he probably has more possessions where he sets up an iso and drifts to the weakside than anyone on that list.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Phenith has decent reputationPhenith has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Calculating the quality of a PG:

If PG = Jason Kidd then
PG = Good PG
Else If PG = Steve Francis then
PG = Bad PG
End if

Awesome, gives me flashbacks to Basic.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Coolaak
High school junior varsity star

Coolaak is starting to rub some people the wrong wayCoolaak is starting to rub some people the wrong way

uhhh billups?
Coolaak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: