Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Default This Depth could win East

Lack of updated depth charts across the web is seriously annoying. Espn, SI, local papers, ISH are just pathetic in this regard, despite most team's rosters being "set" weeks ago. Impossible to compare to develop any sort of consensus. Anyway:

The 2007 - 2008 Raptors are deep enough to win the Atlantic again because they seem better able to deal with injuries to starters (except Bosh) than the rest. Raptor additions and internal growth also means they are good enough to contend for the East crown:

1 ... T. Ford - J. Calderon
2 ... A. Parker - C. Delfino - J. Dixon
3 ... J. Kapono - J. Graham - L. Jackson
4 ... C. Bosh - J. Garbajosa - K. Humphries
5 ... A. Bargnani - R. Nesterovic

13+ guys: J. Moon, M. Baston

Your thoughts? I know that guys like Baston, Dixon, Jackson, Garbo, Hump will get some (or a lot of) position minutes not reflected above.

Last edited by Good Old Willy : 08-27-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Default Re: This Depth could win East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy

3 ... J. Kapono -.
fixed

and to address the thread topic, I agree that they are capable. Many have quickly hopped on the Celtics bandwagon, as well as the Nets and the Knicks because of their notable changes.. This team clearly doesn't have the firepower of those other teams, but they are arguably the deepest team in the east. An injury to just about anyone will not do significant damage because this team will be able to sustain. Another thing that's important is the chemistry. This team had great chemistry in it's first year together, and I can only see it getting better.. This is why I get the sense that Toronto will need to get off to a fast start this year, because once Boston and NJ start clicking, they'll need that cushon badly.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
fixed.
Thanks

Was also gonna to add that the Raps were the most improved team after Celtics to stir up trouble, but now I see that is not an uncommon opinion today:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...lantic.grades/
Old 08-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
Lack of updated depth charts across the web is seriously annoying. Espn, SI, local papers, ISH are just pathetic in this regard, despite most team's rosters being "set" weeks ago. Impossible to compare to develop any sort of consensus. Anyway:

The 2007 - 2008 Raptors are deep enough to win the Atlantic again because they seem better able to deal with injuries to starters (except Bosh) than the rest. Raptor additions and internal growth also means they are good enough to contend for the East crown:

1 ... T. Ford - J. Calderon
2 ... A. Parker - C. Delfino - J. Dixon
3 ... J. Kaponen - J. Graham - L. Jackson
4 ... C. Bosh - J. Garbajosa - K. Humphries
5 ... A. Bargnani - R. Nesterovic

13+ guys: J. Moon, M. Baston

Your thoughts? I know that guys like Baston, Dixon, Jackson, Garbo, Hump will get some (or a lot of) position minutes not reflected above.

i half heartedly agree, i still would like to see one more pickup just a banger and rebounder perhaps a veteran, but guys seriously, we are almost there, i can feeelllll it
im gonna bleed and weep red black and white if raps do win the east
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

I think our depth is what is going to carry us to the division title this season.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #6
berraco
Darko The Ripper

I think the East is gonna be much more amusing this year. A lot of better players have landed here and the movements during the pre-season have made the eastern teams to be closer. The Raptors will be again candidates for the division title, and this depth will make them more tough to beat in the PO than last year, but I don't see them on the paper strong enough to win the East. However, it doesn't mean that they don't have their chances to do it. Let's see how the season goes.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
b4ball
Local High School Star

I'm not sure we will win the east. Boston, the Nets and New York if they don't implode will all be greater challenges. But this is a good thing for the Raps. With the East being that much stronger the Raps will gain experience against stronger teams that will only help them in the playoff.

The Nets I think is the team to beat. Magloir, with a good season and Kristic returning can now pound on the inside as well as kill from the outside. I do see the Nets as a short term threat though, huge money paid out to Wince and an aging Kidd eventually doom the Nets.

So all in all the Raps win with the east improving. If Bosh stays healthy, Bargnani takes a big step forward, Kapono hit's from the outside and both TF and Jose step up we are in the thick of things.

Go Raps go.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

For some reason, perhaps its the US media not wanting a title contender in Canada, most in the US think the Raps 2006 Campaign was a fluke. Most seem ready to write them off this year in the Atlantic in favour of the Nets and Celts. To those who think this....the only reason we lost to Jersey in the show was PO experience and a last second mistimed pass in game 6.

The Celtics could be trouble, but id rather wait and see with them until they've played a bit together. Ive never been a big KG fan, I dont see this Celtics team to be better then Minny with KG, Sam Cassell and Spree.

Only team as deep as the Raps in the east is the Bulls.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
For some reason, perhaps its the US media not wanting a title contender in Canada, most in the US think the Raps 2006 Campaign was a fluke. Most seem ready to write them off this year in the Atlantic in favour of the Nets and Celts. To those who think this....the only reason we lost to Jersey in the show was PO experience and a last second mistimed pass in game 6.

Sounds homerish but I agree. Would add that an additional contributing factor the raps lost in the playoffs, was that Bosh just was not gettting ANY of calls going his way. They called him like a rookie, unlike Kidd who got the Vet room. In '08 I'll take that same series left-handed: Raps in 5 or 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPSCANWIN
...Only team as deep as the Raps in the east is the Bulls.

For sure. With Duhon, Sefolosha, Nocioni, Noah and (Smith or Gordon), they have a B unit that might be the best in the east and maybe even the league.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

I'd start Garbajosa over Kapono if I were Mitchell but I'm sure that won't happen. Kapono is a one dimensional player who is only good for spurts of offense, those type of players are best off the bench similar to how Dell Curry used to be when he played for the Raptors. Garbajosa, assuming a full recovery, brings alot of intangibles to the starting rotation that are necessary for success, I think it'll be a mistake if Garbajosa backs up Kapono.

And yes, our depth is very key, especially at the point guard position.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #11
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I'm actually starting to think that Delfino might end up winning the SF spot (or the 2 with Parker at the 3). His rebounding and defense would be a nice thing to have if Bargnani is going to start at the 5.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I'd start Garbajosa over Kapono if I were Mitchell but I'm sure that won't happen. Kapono is a one dimensional player who is only good for spurts of offense, those type of players are best off the bench similar to how Dell Curry used to be when he played for the Raptors. Garbajosa, assuming a full recovery, brings alot of intangibles to the starting rotation that are necessary for success, I think it'll be a mistake if Garbajosa backs up Kapono.

And yes, our depth is very key, especially at the point guard position.

You really think so? First up, I am pretty sure that Garbo is supposed to get time at PF rather than in the off-positions he was forced to get minutes all last year. But then we have the most bodies at the 4 so...

Secondly, Raps just dropped about 6 million (4yr avg) on Kapono, and smart guys like BC don't do that if the expectation is anything but to start. Right?

And qwijibo, same story for Delfino. But what makes you think he is good enough to push out Kapono?

Yikes, I am suddenly hoping for some minor 5-7 game injuries to a bunch of guys so we can at least see if anyone on the bench has anything. Only if select guys get showcased this year will the Raps be able to do one of those "3 promise guys" for "1 star" deals that would put the team over the top.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #13
bballnoob
Local High School Star

At first I wanted Garbo in there but I still remember all those easy looks he couldn't put in. Granted, I still think he'll be a better shooter this year with the adjustment to the NBA but having someone to drill those open looks that Garbo and Mo missed last year will really be important with this starting lineup. Garbo and Delfino are better defensivly but can't single handedly make a huge difference IMO.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #14
DoubleTech
College star

kapono will definitely start...whether he stays there or not is anyone's guess... we all saw last season that mitchell has no problem benching someone (peterson) if someone else is stepping up.

and in regards to our depth... yea we have a ton of teams beat... and our chemistry is better than most as well...
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
And qwijibo, same story for Delfino. But what makes you think he is good enough to push out Kapono?

If he plays up to his potential then he should be a much better fit in the starting lineup if Bargnani is the planned starter at the 5. Delfino isn't too good of a shooter but I'd take his defense and rebounding (both of which are very solid) unless Bargnani has some miraculous breakthrough with his rebounding.

It's not like he'd get 35+ minutes per game or anything but I see him as a better fit with the other planned 4 starters.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: