Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default Jury Still Out On Pistons Makeover

It's a good read. It looks like the media is agreeing with us.

http://www.ourmidland.com/articles/2...ts/1947540.txt

Quote:
Joe Dumars' current makeover of the Detroit Pistons leaves more questions than answers.

The last year has been a rocky one for Dumars, the Pistons' president. Realizing that his aging team could not compete for an NBA title this past season, Dumars had a choice to make. He could either stand pat and end up in the draft lottery, or gamble and begin making roster changes. To his credit, Dumars chose the latter.

To get the ball rolling, Dumars exchanged NBA All-Star guards with the Denver Nuggets by swapping Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson. Many questioned the move, especially when the Pistons ended their sub-.500 season by being swept by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round.

But the trade was a bold, calculated move to bring a NBA championship to Detroit a couple years from now. It was all about clearing salary cap space to sign a big-name free agent for the future. And that future began with the recent drafting of Austin Daye, DaJuan Summers and Jonas Jerebko.

Frankly, Dumars' draft record over the years does not inspire confidence. Since he took over the Pistons in 2000, only three of his draft picks -- Mehmet Okur (No. 37 in 2001), Tayshaun Prince (No. 23 in 2002), and Rodney Stuckey (No. 15 in 2007) -- have gone on to become solid NBA players, in my opinion.

But with the success of the Pistons over the past 10 years or so, we must keep in mind where they have drafted each year. Only twice since Dumars took over have the Pistons drafted in the top 10. In 2003, they drafted Darko Milicic No. 2; and Rodney White was drafted No. 9 in 2001. Neither player has left much of a mark on the NBA.

Plus, the 2003 draft saw Dumars pass on Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony, any one of which might very likely have helped the Pistons win an additional NBA title. The question remains, how much can Pistons' fans count on Daye, Summers or Jerebko to become productive NBA players?

On the other hand, Dumars' knack for acquiring young talent has been exceptional. He brought Billups in via free agency, while Ben Wallace, Richard Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace came to Detroit via trades. Of those four, only Rasheed Wallace was an All-Star before his arrival. Those four, along with Prince, were the cornerstone for the Pistons' NBA title in 2004.

The next step in Dumars' current overhaul of the Pistons was the recent free-agency addition of shooting guard Ben Gordon and forward Charlie Villanueva. Gordon, 26, came from the Chicago Bulls after averaging 20.7 points last season, while Villanueva, 24, averaged 16.2 points for the Milwaukee Bucks.

Dumars now has the flexibility to package Hamilton and/or Arron Afflalo for a proven frontcourt player.

But the hiring of John Kuester as head coach is a big gamble. After Dumars fired former coach Michael Curry, the pool of available coaches with NBA head coaching experience was severely limited, unlike in 2003, when Dumars was able to hire veteran head coach Larry Brown.

Kuester brings 18 years of experience as an NBA assistant, most recently with the Cavaliers. But being a head coach involves much more than just running the offense. Can he handle the egos of players that are making millions of dollars? And, can he get these players to buy into his system and play for him?

Kuester's seven years as a college head coach does not inspire confidence that he can handle the Pistons. During that time span, he only qroduced two winning seasons, the two seasons after he took over at Boston University for Rick Pitino, from 1983-85. Kuester's overall college record was 82-120, including a 1-27 record in his fourth season at George Washington University.

So, what will the Detroit Pistons give us in 2009-10? There are too many changes this year to be optimistic. And with an unproven coach behind the bench, a .500 season would be a success. Expect another first-round exit from the playoffs.

Then again, maybe the Pistons will surprise us next season as they did in 2004. Only time will tell.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Default Re: Jury Still Out On Pistons Makeover

Quote:
Dumars now has the flexibility to package Hamilton and/or Arron Afflalo for a proven frontcourt player

Proven frontcourt player? We got a ****ing late 2nd rounder.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
dd24
College superstar

My best guess is that means Glen Davis, Drew Gooden, Chris Wilcox, or one of those types that are still available. I don't think it means someone like Boozer like we think the term proven front court player should mean.

I think he's right about the 1st round exit again right now though. There needs to be a major move made to this team.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I think he's right about the 1st round exit again right now though. There needs to be a major move made to this team.

I couldn't agree more.
Our team is average at best in a conference that has everyone else around us making moves to get better.

Boston getting Sheed
Orlando trading to get VC
Lebroms trading to get Shaquille

Those are the teams to beat and as we are, we cannot compete at their level.
I do not know what direction Dumars is trying to go with this team… maybe John Hammond was the real mastermind of the Pistons. Since Dumars has been on his own, what we have today is Dumars solitary handy work
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

I think I see the foreman heading back to the courtroom and by the look on his face, the verdict is not in our favor.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
goldenryan
I'm Back

Joe is not done yet, he's up to something BIG. mark my words.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Whatever it is, it's confusing the heck out of us.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
Attila
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenryan
Joe is not done yet, he's up to something BIG. mark my words.
I sure hope so.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
NeeJ49er
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila
I sure hope so.

What ever deal is made I'm sure it will involve Tay or Rip, more than likely Rip will be the trading chip Dumars will try to cash in.
NeeJ49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Unless Summers has some kind of crazy rookie year I don't see Joe D wanting to trade Tay. He's the most versatile player we've had on the roster throughout the years. We are going to need him. Rip is the older of the two as well. It just doesn't seem like there are too many teams who need a SG. Honestly, I'd rather he wait until December and then trade BG
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: