Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Default Let's Deal for Vince Carter

Vince Carter is on the trading block in New Jersey and I have the perfect deal to land him. All we have to trade is Maggette's possible expiring contract and Cuttino Mobley's huge contract and the salaries work out perfectly. New Jersey could use the cap relief they would get if Maggette opts out, plus they need to bolster their bench which Mobley could do. I realize his contract isn't very attractive (it really doesn't even have a good personality) but New Jersey could rid themself of Carter, get about half of his contract back this summer, and have a veteran Mobley to spark off the bench and mentor younger players. I really think this team could benefit both teams.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Default Re: Let's Deal for Vince Carter

Also, just as a side thought, I realized that a lot of teams that have recently resurged have a pattern in common: They take advantage of teams tearing down their rosters and grab superstars for low prices. Examples:

Grizzlies are in a panic, trade Gasol for a future.

Hornets, two years ago, saw a ceiling with their current roster, so they traded Baron Davis to the Warriors for cap space.

The Pacers lost their cool last year and cleaned house. The Warriors jumped on it, again, and grabbed SJax and Al Harrington for two guys who didn't fit their roster or head coach's system.

The Sixers paniced last year and the Nuggets took advantage by getting A.I. for an ugly contgract and a free agent.

The Trail Blazers gave themself a lethal injection a few years back and Detroit took Rasheed Wallace off their hands for, basically, Chucky Atkins and Bob Sura. The move propelled them to a Championship.

Enough examples, I know, but you get my point: Some of the best roster moves are made by taking advantage of another teams situation. Everyone rebuilds and tears down, but the players have to go somewhere. We should've taken A.I. last year. We could've had Paul Pierce last year. Multiple times, we've ignored opportunities to push us over the top. This year, multiple teams are demolishing their current rosters. We're treading water until Brand gets back. Just keep that in mind as we hear reports of players wanting out.

Take advantage of fire sales.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
ZeN

I dont think trading for vince would be wise. I think that in a short amount of time Carter's production will commence a deep decline... his legs are already heading in that direction. Plus his massive contract is something that the clips should be bogged down by.

I think the Clippers are doing a little bit of both: They are rebuilding AND keeping key players. Granted, with Brand there is the possibility that he will opt out and taste free agency, but you have to image that the clips have a good chance of keeping him. Also, they have Kaman who is playing bigtime ball. And with C.Mag... Frankly I think they should try to sign and trade. I dont think he fits the system, no matter how much Sterling is in love with him.

Also, on the rebuilding side... If Livingston can come back from injury, he can be a solid young addition. (true.. big if...) They already got Al from last seasons draft, who is showing mighty good promise. And this year its no doubt that they will have a solid pick in the draft... (as long as they dont mess it up, like in previous seasons..)

With that said, I dont believe that gambling on the borderline starstatus of Vince Carter is the better move, for this franchise.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
qrich
King Heno

Only deal for Vince I'll do:

Link

NJ In: Cuttino Mobley, Corey Maggette, Devin Harris, Eric Dampier, Devean George, Mavericks 2008 2nd Round Pick, Clippers 2009 & 2010 2nd Round Picks
NJ Out: Jamaal Magloire, Vince Carter, Jason Kidd

DAL In: Jason Kidd, Nenad Krstic
DAL Out: Maurice Ager, Eric Dampier, Devin Harris, Devean George, 2008 2nd Round Pick

LAC In: Vince Carter, Maurice Ager, Jamaal Magloire
LAC Out: Cuttino Mobley, Corey Maggette, 2009 & 2010 2nd Round Picks
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Only deal for Vince I'll do:

Link

NJ In: Cuttino Mobley, Corey Maggette, Devin Harris, Eric Dampier, Devean George, Mavericks 2008 2nd Round Pick, Clippers 2009 & 2010 2nd Round Picks
NJ Out: Jamaal Magloire, Vince Carter, Jason Kidd

DAL In: Jason Kidd, Nenad Krstic
DAL Out: Maurice Ager, Eric Dampier, Devin Harris, Devean George, 2008 2nd Round Pick

LAC In: Vince Carter, Maurice Ager, Jamaal Magloire
LAC Out: Cuttino Mobley, Corey Maggette, 2009 & 2010 2nd Round Picks

I'll do it too. Three team trades are much harder to work, and Baylor is already super conservative when it comes to pulling the trigger, however. But I love this trade idea. I'd love to bring Vince in and see him next to Thornton, but I also love Maurice Ager. This kid could be really good if he gets some burn.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutcht02
I'll do it too. Three team trades are much harder to work, and Baylor is already super conservative when it comes to pulling the trigger, however. But I love this trade idea. I'd love to bring Vince in and see him next to Thornton, but I also love Maurice Ager. This kid could be really good if he gets some burn.

Ager was just a throw-in, but if he does get the time, I can see him becoming a solid all-around player. Let's say we follow this up with Sammy to Denver for Kleiza like I know you want, and as do I, and trade our top 5 pick for two first rounders and take Collison + Ryan Anderson and then take Sean Singletary in the 2nd round. Whatever signings occur in the offseason, happen, but our roster looks like:

PG: Brevin Knight | Darren Collison | Shaun Livingston
SG: Vince Carter | Sean Singletary
SF: Al Thornton | Linas Kleiza
PF: Elton Brand | Tim Thomas
CE: Chris Kaman | Ryan Anderson | Josh Powell

I like that unit, Kleiza is a big wing who can play SG-CE in certain situations and Anderson is a GREAT post scorer. That is also a very versatile unit, let's look at the positions everyone can play:

Brevin Knight - PG
Darren Collison - PG/SG
Shaun Livingston - PG/SG
Vince Carter - SG/SF
Al Thornton - SG/SF/PF
Sean Singletary - SG/PG
Linas Kleiza - SG/SF/PF/CE
Elton Brand - PF/CE
Tim Thomas - PF/SF/CE
Chris Kaman - CE
Ryan Anderson - CE/PF
Josh Powell - PF/CE

Last edited by qrich : 02-06-2008 at 02:25 PM.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: