Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Atomic DOG
Banned

Default Thoughts on the roster

I'm starting to get itchy with excitement for the upcoming season, and I'm trying to figure out exactly where we might stand. So basically I wanted to map the whole roster on out on paper in order to better examine it. And I figured since I was gonna do that, I might as well post it. No real news or meaning or question posed. Just my thoughts on the roster.

Baron and Zach - Two of the most flat out talented players in the league. Last year, Baron actually started out doing some really great things for us, unfortunately some of our less competent players were unable to consumate the fruit of his labor (kaman, thornton). I think the initial disappointment with his teammates as well as the early mounting losses is what led to Baron shutting down his motor for the season fairly early. By the time Randolph got here, hope was pretty much all lost. But starting the season fresh, I think Randolph is the perfect compliment to Baron on offense. When Baron knifes in the lane and dishes under the basket, Randolph will catch it and finish. When Baron finds him open for a shot on the perimeter, Randolph will knock it down. Randolph will also aggressively offensive rebound when Baron's penchant for radical shot selection flares up. I'm very intrigued to see what these two can do starting off healthy together.

Eric Gordon - I think this roster is going to set up very nicely for Gordon, in other words allow him to do what he does best and stay in his comfort zone. Meaning just score effectively and guard his man. He doesnt need to be a ball handler, he doesnt have to guard a range of players, he doesnt have to take too many shots. I think this roster is going to let Gordon really maximize his efficiency. More or less be a role player, but a potentially deadly one.

Marcus Camby - Again, I think this team is gonna be well suited to a guy like him. He can do what he does best, and thus maximize his efficiency. The three aforementioned guys are all scorers, and thus a defender, rebounder, place-setter type would work much better in the mixture. (All we then need is a sniper at the 3 who can D). By contrast I think a guy like Kaman is going to want to command more touches than we would need out of him, and lead to inefficiency and disruption. Which is the precise reason I think there is NO WAY we should have Kaman on this roster on opening day. I mean that's just my personal feeling. I dont see him meshing with this group, at all.

Blake Griffin - In time he may develop into a star player, but for now he is a godsend strictly for the depth he'll provide. Guys like Mardy Collins, Brian Skinner, Ricky Davis, Alex Acker etc. saw way too many minutes last season. If we can basically upgrade them with Griffin and a good piece acquired using Kaman, in addition to Taylor and Jordan, we could be a legitimately 9-deep team.

Taylor and Jordan - Perhaps I am blinded by homerism, but I can't help but cling to the notion that these guys could take huge leaps from last year to next year. Probably not at the beginning of the season, but potentially by the 2nd half.

Al Thornton - Kind of the wildcard of the group, but potentially an asset nonetheless. How will he be used? How much better will he be? How much intelligence/discipline can he develop? The good thing is, I think our roster is now potent enough that we dont have to rely on him if he's not working out. So really, I think he can only be a positive.

I left Kaman out because I think he's likely to be gone, and I left Novak out because with Ricky picking up his option, and Kaman quite possibly being traded for a small forward, and Dunleavy mentioning the possibility of even playing Griffin at the 3, I dont see where there is room for Novak. I think he's the odd man out. And while it is nice watching him shoot the lights out in garbage time or on an injury depleted team, in reality he cant provide ANYTHING else and frankly i dont think his loss would in any tangible way effect our potential.

It's a roster that I could see potentially competing, but I could also see showing too much overall inexperience and lack of cohesion. This year could be up and down, but at the very least I believe in two years our roster will be in outstanding condition.
Atomic DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

Default Re: Thoughts on the roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic DOG
I'm starting to get itchy with excitement for the upcoming season, and I'm trying to figure out exactly where we might stand. So basically I wanted to map the whole roster on out on paper in order to better examine it. And I figured since I was gonna do that, I might as well post it. No real news or meaning or question posed. Just my thoughts on the roster.

Baron and Zach - Two of the most flat out talented players in the league. Last year, Baron actually started out doing some really great things for us, unfortunately some of our less competent players were unable to consumate the fruit of his labor (kaman, thornton). I think the initial disappointment with his teammates as well as the early mounting losses is what led to Baron shutting down his motor for the season fairly early. By the time Randolph got here, hope was pretty much all lost. But starting the season fresh, I think Randolph is the perfect compliment to Baron on offense. When Baron knifes in the lane and dishes under the basket, Randolph will catch it and finish. When Baron finds him open for a shot on the perimeter, Randolph will knock it down. Randolph will also aggressively offensive rebound when Baron's penchant for radical shot selection flares up. I'm very intrigued to see what these two can do starting off healthy together.

Eric Gordon - I think this roster is going to set up very nicely for Gordon, in other words allow him to do what he does best and stay in his comfort zone. Meaning just score effectively and guard his man. He doesnt need to be a ball handler, he doesnt have to guard a range of players, he doesnt have to take too many shots. I think this roster is going to let Gordon really maximize his efficiency. More or less be a role player, but a potentially deadly one.

Marcus Camby - Again, I think this team is gonna be well suited to a guy like him. He can do what he does best, and thus maximize his efficiency. The three aforementioned guys are all scorers, and thus a defender, rebounder, place-setter type would work much better in the mixture. (All we then need is a sniper at the 3 who can D). By contrast I think a guy like Kaman is going to want to command more touches than we would need out of him, and lead to inefficiency and disruption. Which is the precise reason I think there is NO WAY we should have Kaman on this roster on opening day. I mean that's just my personal feeling. I dont see him meshing with this group, at all.

Blake Griffin - In time he may develop into a star player, but for now he is a godsend strictly for the depth he'll provide. Guys like Mardy Collins, Brian Skinner, Ricky Davis, Alex Acker etc. saw way too many minutes last season. If we can basically upgrade them with Griffin and a good piece acquired using Kaman, in addition to Taylor and Jordan, we could be a legitimately 9-deep team.

Taylor and Jordan - Perhaps I am blinded by homerism, but I can't help but cling to the notion that these guys could take huge leaps from last year to next year. Probably not at the beginning of the season, but potentially by the 2nd half.

Al Thornton - Kind of the wildcard of the group, but potentially an asset nonetheless. How will he be used? How much better will he be? How much intelligence/discipline can he develop? The good thing is, I think our roster is now potent enough that we dont have to rely on him if he's not working out. So really, I think he can only be a positive.

I left Kaman out because I think he's likely to be gone, and I left Novak out because with Ricky picking up his option, and Kaman quite possibly being traded for a small forward, and Dunleavy mentioning the possibility of even playing Griffin at the 3, I dont see where there is room for Novak. I think he's the odd man out. And while it is nice watching him shoot the lights out in garbage time or on an injury depleted team, in reality he cant provide ANYTHING else and frankly i dont think his loss would in any tangible way effect our potential.

It's a roster that I could see potentially competing, but I could also see showing too much overall inexperience and lack of cohesion. This year could be up and down, but at the very least I believe in two years our roster will be in outstanding condition.

I think the opposite, Dunleavy has always had one tall shooter on his roster. In 05-06 it was Radmanovic and Walter McCarty, then it was Tim Thomas, and I think Novak will still have a spot.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
qrich
King Heno

If we do end up not keeping Novak, we better sign another shooter. Eddie House, Janerro Pargo are the only two that come to mind.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

We need Novak. He just needs to go learn how to play decent D.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
ZeN

I really warmed up to Novak last season. He was a highlight in some games that gave little to watch.

If he does not return Pargo would be nice, like Qrich said... he seems the best fitting for MikeD's system.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
winningfreak
I brick open layups

Arrow Re: Thoughts on the roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Quit the Spam

REPORTED

now seriously, I think we need novak, if he takes this off season to really work on his D and I have seen shades of him where he can get to the bucket I think he could be a much better (not an all-star) but close to player
winningfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: