Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Sneaker Forum

Sneaker Forum Sneakers message board - basketball shoes forum board, basketball gear forum

Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Zak

Default Low Tops?

What would the disadvantages of playing basketball in low tops be?

I have been thinking of getting adidas ts lightswitch low, but i have never played in low tops, how would it affect my game. Is it bad for my ankles?

http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/pr...ell/mvpid--~0/
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Default Re: Low Tops?

it would leave you more vulnerable to ankle sprains. other than that i don't think there are any disadvantages.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
it would leave you more vulnerable to ankle sprains. other than that i don't think there are any disadvantages.
alot more vulnerable? becaue ive never injured my ankle before, and would like to keep it that away.

thanks for your time.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
meanmonster
Learning to shoot layups

Im not sure how strong your ankles are, but it does make you more vulnerable to ankle injuries wearing low tops. It's not as much about spraining an ankle right then and there as much as the toll it takes on your ankles over time. If you wear low tops I'd recommend using some sort of at least moderate ankle protection.
meanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
KaptnKirk12
Made that high school varsity squad

Just like everyone else said, it's easier to get ankle injuries. I would recommend either some type of ankle wrap or taping up your ankles before you play if you are going to wear low tops. Advantage is they are lighter and a lot of the time more comfortable - but me personally, I really don't like them.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Its soo much easier to make quick/sharp turns when your wearing low tops. I love playing in them because their so light.

But I would never play in low tops in a game where I'll be playing 100% (ie a real game) because they leave your ankles really vulnerable, especially because I'm the type of player who's constantly sprinting, turning, jumping, and landing awkwardly.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
bigcity5
Saw a basketball once

they're definitely nice to play in, good cutting and speed. but if u got bad ankles like myself its a definite no.
bigcity5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
$un$4L!FE
Learning to shoot layups

Well they give your ankle more room to move around which means you may be able to run a little faster. They also may weight a little more less than hightops. I like high tops better because of the ankle support. If you want to wear low tops, it would be a good idea to wear an ankle brace with it so you don't hurt yourself.

I wear an ankle brace with my flight 23 when ever i play basketball in them. Try it.
$un$4L!FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
LakersLaLaLand
Local High School Star

I have played in Low tops but do not recommend it. It does feel light on the foot and flexible..but the alternative of leaving your ankles exposed with no support is a very bad idea.

Unless you like playing in ankle supports(strap up type).

You are one of very few people who have not sprained their ankle. You will hate it. :knockonwood:
LakersLaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
DatZNasty
College superstar

I have those exact shoes and prefer lowtops. The cut of a shoe is overrated in terms of how much ankle support it provides anyways. Just because one shoe is low and another is mid doesn't automatically mean the mid has better ankle support, far from it. More important is the level of heel lockdown in the fit. I'd recommend those. A good first low top is the Jordan Ol' Skool lows though if you feel like you just want to get used to the idea of wearing lows to hoop in first. They're taller than a normal low, ankle support sucks because the material is flexible, but you'll feel better about the cut.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
$un$4L!FE
Learning to shoot layups

I have sprained my ankle a lot and most of the time it was from low top shoes but there has been other times where it has been from a high top shoe. When playing basketball with low or high top shoes, just wear an ankle brace.
$un$4L!FE is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: