Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anybody watching this new show Louie on FX?

Yeah, in the last episode they show how the drowning scene was filmed, basically Louie and a camera, pretty sick

Breaking Bad starts Sunday. I really like Louie but BB is the show to watch this summer.

rank sentamentalist

just watched the 4th episode, and finally this show seems to have returned to form. i dunno, the first three episodes were pretty disappointing to me. premises were alright, louie buys a motorcycle, louie eats p*ssy, louie makes a friend in miami... not outstanding but serviceable. execution was poor though. seemed like half of every episode was louie not just stammering and saying stupidly funny shit but literally frozen in the headlights unable to get more than a syllable out of his mouth.

this past episode however more than made up for it with the book store dialogue which was great, the reality tv parody was hysterical. and jesus that tennis/golf bit absolutely killed me, "because they're alone", that just had to be one of those eureka moments for him. but yeah, this one was finally on point, i'll be checking out pt 2 momentarily

remembering back, i don't think the show really hit its stride until about 3-4 eps into the second season so maybe it just took a while for the ideas to come. regardless i'm glad it's back where it needs to be.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Yeah, in the last episode they show how the drowning scene was filmed, basically Louie and a camera, pretty sick
    I was fascinated by the simplicity of that as well. Just him with a few crew guys, then a quick direction of get in front and "action." He is a very bright dude it seems. Not just in his humor, but just watching that filming session shows that he can make something without making it an elaborate thing, and that is following his simple money making move of putting a standup routine on his own website for cheap by cutting out the middle men rather than the typical way of getting his show attention.

Was that Artie Lange that jumped out of the chemical truck yelling "Holy shit, run!!"?

It's good to see him getting back into things.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Shit's great. Really, really great. FX apparently gave him free reign and he's doing whatever the hell he wants. That death of the antisocial asshole with no friends funeral that turned into the worst thing to ever happen to a shithole (far too attractive for a dayshift) stripclub playing over Motorin? Holy shit, that was outstanding.

Louis CK needs a multiple picture directing deal, I'm dead serious. It's not just how funny, and sad, and weird, and downright melancholy, a lot of the show is. It's legitimately really well made, on I assume next to no budget.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I just think the show is absolutely brilliant. It's hard to put my finger on because it's not as if it's outright funny. It's not as if it's filled with "jokes". It's more that it's conceptually funny. The idea of an asshole comedy club owner who is beloved at this strip club is hysterical, even if it wasn't crammed with one liners.
    I loved the whole Miami episode with the Cuban guy and the homoerotic tension. And I felt like that was one that really came together completely because they showed him doing his stand up routine about how defensive heterosexual men are about being heterosexual men. And how we miss out on things we might enjoy. I thought he was going to talk about stuff like he did in Miami, but instead he talks about using certain words, like "delightfull". "That titty bar sure was delightfull."

He was doing absolutely everything on it. He was using a manager to do a lot of the production. He's apparently been a film buff most of his life and is using a lot of his own equipment to film and edit, and he does direct . And until this year he doing all the editing. The network had asked him to help, to take something off of his plate, and he suggested he'd give up the editing (something he loves doing) if they could get some woman who is a famous editor (I forget the name, but apparently she did a lot of the New York era Woody Allen stuff). To his shock, she was available and said yes, and I think it's helped this year. It's a great looking show. The black and white cuts. The perfectly square framing. The soundtrack is great. This year there's been tons of French pop. It's a great take on New York City.

He's obviously a miserable bastard, which is where a lot of my connection is. But you're also getting a lot of his absurdist sensibility. Maybe not to the level of that first season, where woman were leaving him via helicopter. But it's still there. For some reason I find it hysterical every time they show his ex wife and she's black, even though his kids are complete toeheads.

And because of the nature of the show, you can get some legitimately sincere moments. Last year's USO episode was genuinely touching.

Basically, I love the show. I'm going to see Louie in Hartford in November, and frankly I can't wait.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

my wife loves it. I havent really seen it. She thought the bag of ***** *********ion scene was hilarious and made me watch that. hes pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    my wife loves it. I havent really seen it. She thought the bag of ***** *********ion scene was hilarious and made me watch that. hes pretty funny
    I'm getting the 1st season right now, it's been on my watchlist for ages seeing this thread just made me go for it. I hope it's as intelligent and funny as people say.

This show is absolutely brilliant. Love it.

Holy shit, I lost it watching this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0g3q_4kZnU

He's still got it. Great show still.

Love Live Life

I don't know why but I kept thinking they was doing a live action version of "Life with Louie"

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Great comedian.

Great show.

This season has been fantastic so far.

The two episodes last night were some of the strongest of the series.

90 minute episode tonight.

I love this season of Louie so far. I love the things he's doing with this show.
    Last edited by irondarts; 06-10-2014 at 01:16 AM.