Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default How big of a role does vision play in Basketball?

I have a visual condition called amblyopia where one of my eyes doesnt see so good

the doctors have said glasses and contacts wont help it and there is currently no surgery out there

so I see everything around me with one good eye, effectively
    hypothetically it could cause some depth perception issues but

I still do just fine on my own when it comes to basketball, I dont, or i should say, I rarely overshoot or undershoot the rim, altho I was never too good at 3 pointers

still, I wonder if the times I miss or the times i throw a pass away can be avoided if I didnt have bad vision in one eye

Can I still be great, if it is never cured and

are there any other people here who have vision problems?

Default Re: How big of a role does vision play in Basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by antonioray
    I have a visual condition called amblyopia where one of my eyes doesnt see so good

the doctors have said glasses and contacts wont help it and there is currently no surgery out there

so I see everything around me with one good eye, effectively
    hypothetically it could cause some depth perception issues but

I still do just fine on my own when it comes to basketball, I dont, or i should say, I rarely overshoot or undershoot the rim, altho I was never too good at 3 pointers

still, I wonder if the times I miss or the times i throw a pass away can be avoided if I didnt have bad vision in one eye

Can I still be great, if it is never cured and

are there any other people here who have vision problems?
    i can't read a computer screen from like 2 and a half feet a way. i tried contacts but just couldn't get used to them. So ill wear glasses if im on the computer, watchin tv, **** like that. But other than that ill never wear them.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
    i can't read a computer screen from like 2 and a half feet a way. i tried contacts but just couldn't get used to them. So ill wear glasses if im on the computer, watchin tv, **** like that. But other than that ill never wear them.
    so...
    how does this affect ur performance in basketball?

so...
    how does this affect ur performance in basketball?
    A lot. How can you shoot if you cant get a clear view of the rim? How can you make crisp passes to cutting team mates? How can you see picks/screens, backdoors coming without good peripheral vision?

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    A lot. How can you shoot if you cant get a clear view of the rim? How can you make crisp passes to cutting team mates? How can you see picks/screens, backdoors coming without good peripheral vision?
    Well im not sure if ur refering to me or 1manfastbreak, but if it was me

I still get a clear image of the rim and teammates and stuff, its just that I only get it with one eye

so the question wasnt whether or not if you cant see the rim clearly, its more of, does it make a difference if you can only see it with one eye

As for peripheral vision, its not detail orientated anyway, my bad eye can still sense motion to the side just as well as my good eye

I still get a clear image of the rim and teammates and stuff, its just that I only get it with one eye

so the question wasnt whether or not if you cant see the rim clearly, its more of, does it make a difference if you can only see it with one eye

As for peripheral vision, its not detail orientated anyway, my bad eye can still sense motion to the side just as well as my good eye
    good vision is vital in basketball. But Lebron never had good eyesight. He couldn't see well in classrooms and such but on the court he could see everything. Why? Simply because he had a feel for the game. Just keep playing a lot and you will get that same feel.

nah not referring to you just trying to bring up questions for the op to ask himself in general

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    good vision is vital in basketball. But Lebron never had good eyesight. He couldn't see well in classrooms and such but on the court he could see everything. Why? Simply because he had a feel for the game. Just keep playing a lot and you will get that same feel.
    Yea I guess but he probably wore contacts and eventually got Lasik

neither can cure what i have

but you I know what you mean a feel for the game, I dont even think I aim anymore(if i did in the first place)

I think I know how much strength to put behind shots depending on how far I am

I would consider myself a decent passer at best, most of the times I get picked off are the times when I get caught up in the air and I have to decide who and how to pass it before I want to

and btw, automajic, i wasnt doubting whether or not it affected him, I was merely asking how and in what ways it affected him

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Depends. I, myself, have 300-275 vision (if I remember correctly), but I can still drain my shots even without glasses. I remember reading in a book before that there was this old pro during the 40s, I think, that was practically blind. He still averaged 12.4 PPG.

those are all huge objects. yea my vision isn't crisp and clear but i can see fine. doesn't effect my game at all and never has. I never think about my vision either. Its muscle memory out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
    those are all huge objects. yea my vision isn't crisp and clear but i can see fine. doesn't effect my game at all and never has. I never think about my vision either. Its muscle memory out there.
    I guess so, all I know is that when I lose a contact during play my shooting accuracy drops quite a bit from beyond 10 feet.

I guess so, all I know is that when I lose a contact during play my shooting accuracy drops quite a bit from beyond 10 feet.
    yea then you can see with one eye and cant with the other. i dont see why sharp vision would help you anymore in basketball.

Saw a basketball once

well i mean, sharp vision helps with precision and depth perception, like

how much strenght and lift i have to put behind this jump shot

or, how hard i have to bounce the ball and at what angle so that it will reach my teammate( like iverson's full court bounce pass when he was on the pistons)

or, how much time do i have before the guy from the other team closes in on my fast break layup, stuff like that

well i mean, sharp vision helps with precision and depth perception, like

how much strenght and lift i have to put behind this jump shot

or, how hard i have to bounce the ball and at what angle so that it will reach my teammate( like iverson's full court bounce pass when he was on the pistons)

or, how much time do i have before the guy from the other team closes in on my fast break layup, stuff like that
    yeah, but what 1manfastbreak is trying to say for most parts on the court you are not doing things to and from a far distance so it's not that significant

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

I always play basketball without my glasses on.

As a result my vision is blurry as hell.

And I'm still one of the best shooters on the court at any time.

You can kinda just automatically adjust. I do anyway

I'm still getting contacts eventually though