Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Paralysis

High School Varsity 6th Man treadster's Avatar

Default Sleep Paralysis

anyone ever experience that kind of thing? it's so annoying

Default Re: Sleep Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by treadster
    anyone ever experience that kind of thing? it's so annoying
    yes. it is the common explanation for near death experiences, alien abduction experiences, ghosts, succubus/incubus visitations, etc etc

I used to experience it as a kid. Not so much as an adult.

el pollo loco siiiiiii

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    I used to experience it as a kid. Not so much as an adult.
    Yep same here. It has a lot to do with sleeping patterns and nutrition IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Honestly didn't even know what it was. Looked it up and now I'm scared of going through it Said that most people see terrifying sights.
    For me it was always towards the end of an intense dream. I'd feel myself waking up, being totally aware that I was in bed but unable to move or open my eyes. Very strange.

Haven't experienced it, thank God!

That sh!t be scary.

Yeah, I've read that you can't move your body while your dream. That's what causes the paralysis. I've never seen the ghosts or shit, just been paralyzed.

Yes, I've experience it often because of my erratic sleep pattern. I used to experience it almost every night a few years back. Now I experience it every once in a while, and every time it happens, I refuse to go back to sleep.

It really is terrifying, too. I've seen shit that would make the scariest of ghost movies look tame and child friendly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Yeah, I've read that you can't move your body while your dream. That's what causes the paralysis. I've never seen the ghosts or shit, just been paralyzed.
    Yeah, it is supposed to keep you from acting out your dreams. When we wake up, that part of the sleep cycle is supposed to stop, but for some it keeps going. It is usually both the visual cortex being overly active and the part that paralyzes your body at the same time. Because it is terrifying to wake up and not move AND the dream sequence is still going when your eyes are open, your brain tries to make sense of what is going on, which is why people tend to visualize figures such as aliens or shadow people coming into the room.

Yeah I've had it. Laying in bed and everything looks exactly the same yet you can't move. Usually it's just me but I think I recall something coming towards me once. I usually realize its a dream after a little and wake myself up. Happens if you try to lucid dream. Anyone gave those dreams where you have to run from something and just can't run fast at all, or can barely run?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    For me it was always towards the end of an intense dream. I'd feel myself waking up, being totally aware that I was in bed but unable to move or open my eyes. Very strange.
    I had similar experiences. And I also seem to have outgrown it thankfully. I would have it in bunches, maybe 3 or 4 times a month, for a few months, then it would go away for a year or so. But it was all during my early to mid 20s, then it just sort of stopped.

I too found it tended to follow intense dreams. I don't have any memory of seeing things, but it was still a scary experience. I'd try to shout, or move, and couldn't, and as I came out of it, I'd find I'd have some movement, like being able to sort of violently roll. I was rolling into my wall once trying to wake myself, and my mother came in and thought I was having a seisure. She wound up waking me up. I told her about it, and she wound up asking some people about it (she's a nurse), but we never really did anything about it.

This actually happened to me last week. Freaked me the **** out. I was laying in bed and I could not move, I was trying for the life of me just to pick my head up and I couldn't. Then I heard constant loud ass banging on my bedroom door and after like 5 seconds the door swung open and some guy was coming in to try to kill me. He was holding my nephew too. It was so weird/scary.

about how long does the paralysis last??

Very good NBA starter

It happens to me pretty regularly and it's ****ing annoying. Sometimes the shit is downright scary.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Ha! I had this happen to me when I was in my late teens.
    I seriously loved it, gave me an adrenaline rush!!

Did it really freighten all of you?
    I'm also not big on horror film and The Ring creeped me out, especially the video in that movie. Also, Hellrazor and Nightmare on Elm Street gave me nightmares when I was younger. However, Sleep Paralysis scared me but at the same time excited me.

WTF is wrong with me!