Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The application of Philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Without philosophy, there would be no science. Philosophy can exist without science, but science cannot exist without it. Why? Science at its core is a theory. It is a product of the mind. Philosophy will always be ahead of science because it does not require scientific proofs (observation) to reach its conclusions. Reason is enough. For example, I don't need a year long study to prove listening to classical music will help a person study for an exam versus other types of music. Reason would dictate classical music helps me study better because of its soft, slow, smooth, peaceful sound as oppose to rock or rap music.

That is just an elementary example but truth can be found through other means than just observation of the environment, which makes philosophy more applicable than science since it deals with areas science can't touch. Philosophy can tell you how to live your life, everything about politics, what morality is, whether or not religion is true, it can tell you about your environment (materialism) and the mind (consciousness), it talks about art, theater, mathematics, logic etc. and on top of that it created science.

Philosophy is highly underrated.
    I don't think you understand what a theory is.

Sunshine State

Default Re: The application of Philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    To sum it up, if you want to be a one trick pony, then be a science guy. If you want to take the easy route and go off one book to tell you how to live your life, get into religion, but if you want to know everything there is to know about human existence including understanding religion and science and everything there is to know about it, be a philosopher.
    This philosopher gimmick is getting a little out of control bro.

Go outside and have a beer or something.