Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-04-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
Lakerz_Forever
Local High School Star

Lakerz_Forever has an OK reputation so far
Default Nuremberg

who has seen it? Great movie
Lakerz_Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation
Default Re: Nuremberg

Didnt even hear anything about it. When did it come out?
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
space
Local High School Star

space has an OK reputation so far

Never heard of such movie, unless you mean Nuremberg (2000) (TV)?
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

the real Nuremberg War Trials were a sham

an equal number of war criminals escaped prosecution as others were executed
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Lakerz_Forever
Local High School Star

yea i mean Nuremberg (200) (TV) im in 8th grade, saw it in history class. thought it was just phenomenal...Goering's character was excellently portrayed.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerz_Forever
yea i mean Nuremberg (200) (TV) im in 8th grade, saw it in history class. thought it was just phenomenal...Goering's character was excellently portrayed.

You should read

Leffland, Ella (1990). The Knight, Death and the Devil.

ISBN 0688058361

It's an account of Germany from the viewpoint of Hermann Goering. It's realistic fiction, not everything that happened is 100% true, but it's based on his diary, and a lot of other works. You can find a complete bibliography in the book. I'd list them, but I lent my copy out.

Basically it doesn't sympathize with Hitler except to show that he was an extremely gifted speaker. That's why the rallies were so huge during that time, and why Hitler was named "Leader" in German.

Goering was eventually made Hitler's heir, he began with leadership of the air force, and is responsible for creating the German secret police (the Gestoffo, which he later lost control of), and also preserved a lot of art during the period of Nazi invasions (although most of it he plundered).

But to paraphrase, from the German point of view, a lot of them were against what Hitler was doing.

WWI (which was referred to as "The Great War" during Goering's period) started not because of Germany, but because of Austria's decision to invade Serbia (I think it was Serbia). Germany was an ally of Austria and therefore had to enlist their aid, or break their alliance with Austria. But after WWI it was the German people who were punished. Germany lost lands, and their airforce and army was disbanded. They were not allowed to carry firearms.

WWII was originally Germany's attempt to regain what was lost from the Treaty at the end of WWI. Towards the end of the War, though, Hitler of course went off his rocker. He was convinced towards the end that the only chosen people of god were pure Germans, and any kind of racial differences were persecuted.

This is one of the places where the term Ghetto originated, as the Jews were moved into "ghettos" to segregate them from the rest of the German population. Later they were moved into camps and horrible things were done.

Obviously Hitler had a lot to do with this, but some of it wasn't directly from him, just that he chose to "overlook" these incidents. One of the biggest propegators of the movement was his propoganda leader(whose name escapes me at the moment).

Goering was eventually captured and killed himself in prison by injection. His death is a mystery as to how he managed to keep the syringe from the guards during the Nuremberg trials.

Just thought it was an interesting read.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Lakerz_Forever
Local High School Star

thanks Mathius, i'm just really interested in history.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

I've always loved war history
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: