Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: New Bob Cousy mix:

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Honest question: Do you watch this video and see somebody as comfortable dribbling with his left hand as modern day point guards?
    I see somebody who dribbles with his palms down and never carries the basketball once, as per the rules of his era... and he STILL manages to keep that ball on a string...

You can't knock his handle unless you are blissfully unaware of the different rules. You try running through traffic with a basketball only being able to touch it palms down. Then we'll see how well you do it with your offhand.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I see somebody who dribbles with his palms down and never carries the basketball once, as per the rules of his era... and he STILL manages to keep that ball on a string...
    Answer the question please...do you think he's as comfortable dribbling with his left hand as say somebody like Steve Nash?

Answer the question please...do you think he's as comfortable dribbling with his left hand as say somebody like Steve Nash?
    I did answer your question, quit acting needy it's not a good look

90% of the league today probably can't dribble the way Cousy is dribbling... right handed or left handed... players today dribble the ball like they are flipping pancakes just trying to bring it up court slowly

College superstar

While he could, watch how seldom Magic ever dribbled with his left hand.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I did answer your question, quit acting needy it's not a good look

90% of the league today can't dribble the way Cousy is dribbling... right handed or left handed
    no you didnt....and do you seriously think that if they started calling carrying more strictly that players would lose the ability to dribble with their left hands?

no you didnt....and do you seriously think that if they started calling carrying more strictly that players would lose the ability to dribble with their left hands?
    duh

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    While he could, watch how seldom Magic ever dribbled with his left hand.
    magic was 6'8...and nobody really lists ball handling as a notable part of his game...great ball handler for his size - yes..

What do you expect asking a question with an obvious agenda? He's actually going at your real point not the question itself

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    What do you expect asking a question with an obvious agenda? He's actually going at your real point not the question itself
    i dont have an agenda....im not one of those who hates on 60s players with the "weak era" nonsense..check my post history...i just pointed out that he looks like he was a poor ball handler...

Cousy's passes made Stockon's look like that of a D-leaguer.

i dont have an agenda....im not one of those who hates on 60s players with the "weak era" nonsense..check my post history...i just pointed out that he looks like he was a poor ball handler...
    Clearly you don't know what makes players good or poor ball handlers... it isn't about which hand they handle the ball with, or even how they look doing it... it's how well they can keep that ball on a string. Creating and/or maintaing space away from the defense while simultaneously being able to go where they need to go while keeping the dribble alive.

Cousy did that as good as anyone. He's a great ball handler. Particularly considering the rules of ball handling that were enforced in his era, which made it particularly difficult to play the high speed penetrating game he played. My eyes were drawn to Frank Selvy in the 62 and 63 Finals games I combed through when pulling Cousy clips. Selvy had a great looking crossover and was dribbling ambidextrously throughout those games. But Selvy could not pass or keep that ball on a string like Cousy, didn't matter how often he switched hands with a nice tight cross, he just didn't have Cousy's level of control.

You're far into the green so I'll take your word on that lol. He probably wasn't AS comfortable with his left as he was his right...Including in comparison to players of today....But he looked to be more than capable of comfortably using it if needed. They were taught back then to use the strong hand 99% of the time, had he not had that philosophy instilled in him I think what I said would be a bit more apparent.

How do you think he'd do in todays league Cavs? Particularly on D

Top 1 Bball Mind.

yeah...im not saying he was a bad player...some of those passes were incredible...somebody in another thread compared him to Rubio and i sort of see it...it just seemed really strange that he would never switch dribbling hands...i guess maybe he just didnt need to or it was a consequence of the rules..

magic was 6'8...and nobody really lists ball handling as a notable part of his game...great ball handler for his size - yes..

One of Magic's biggest assets was his ballhandling, especially on the break, especially while keepin control with a high dribble while going really fast, then able to do the "rest". Guess because he wasn't doing killer crossovers, he couldn't handle the rock