Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: "OH! A SPECTACULAR move by Michael Jordan!"

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Don't forget: LeBron James
    Lebron does get theatric from time to time and did so especially he was younger. Just the action of cocking back on a dunk, isn't really necessary. Let alone some of his chest pounds and roars following them. Though he seems to be a bit less theatric with his finishes than Jordan. Part of that is body control though, he's so big he doesn't have the body control to do some of Jordan's finishes even if he'd wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    This is why I laughed when somebody tried to make a thread on ISH a while back that Jordan was the most "movement efficient player ever" - "no wasted movements"

He's the antithesis of. Guy wound up on dunks, changed uncontested shots in mid-air dribbled between his legs and pump faked 2 and 3 extra times sometimes just for the fans... he was a great showman. Great showman are the antithesis of not wasting movements, they deliberately ADD unnecessary dramatic movements, just to get a crowd reaction/tv ratings/etc

Movement efficiency is Tim Duncan or Oscar Robertson. Simple moves. For points, not for fans.

How about someone like Hakeem? Obviously a far cry from Big O/Duncan, but all of the extra movements were strictly basketball moves.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    The move was aesthetically pleasing, like a dunk can be if done with grace. He went up with the idea that even if he gets contested he will pull the under hand switch and finish with the off hand. The move also has a degree of difficulty to it and requires the proper hang time to accomplish. This was the cherry on the top of an already dominant performance, and he was pumped with adrenaline ready to accomplish the impossible.

If you can't understand any of this, then you've never played ball before
    Firstly, its not really that hard to pull off. Anybody half athletic can do it. Not at rim level, but if you cant pull off changing hands to shoot a lay up on the other side of the basket, then you're either fat or you dont know what youre talking about.

The rest of your post after 'with the off hand' had absolutely nothing to do with why it was unnecessary. You then go on to talk about the game and his performance, which again, has nothing to do with his shot.

Clearly, you cant understand because you either cant read or cant relate a thought with a relevant reply.

Point being, it was unnecessary.

As per the bolded part, he wasn't contested, at all, by anyone, and did it anyway. Thats what makes it unnecessary.
    Last edited by UK2K; 11-18-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

What was it?? Like his 13th shot made in a row???

F'n ridiculous. GOAT gon GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Firstly, its not really that hard to pull off. Anybody half athletic can do it. Not at rim level, but if you cant pull off changing hands to shoot a lay up on the other side of the basket, then you're either fat or you dont know what youre talking about.

The rest of your post after 'with the off hand' had absolutely nothing to do with why it was unnecessary. You then go on to talk about the game and his performance, which again, has nothing to do with his shot.

Clearly, you cant understand because you either cant read or cant relate a thought with a relevant reply.

As per the bolded part, he wasn't contested, at all, by anyone, and did it anyway. Thats what makes it unnecessary.

Holy shit, I must be ****ing unathletic

But I already knew this, I can't even do some of the shit Pierce does

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    The move was aesthetically pleasing, like a dunk can be if done with grace. He went up with the idea that even if he gets contested he will pull the under hand switch and finish with the off hand. The move also has a degree of difficulty to it and requires the proper hang time to accomplish. This was the cherry on the top of an already dominant performance, and he was pumped with adrenaline ready to accomplish the impossible.

If you can't understand any of this, then you've never played ball before
    Poetry

And it was all about the moment- NBA finals against Magic and the Lakers, he had just made 12 consecutive FGs and this was the capper. Plus, he explained here why he switched hands. He saw Perkins react like he was about to contest it, while in mid air he made a move to counter that but Perk seemed to have given up once he saw Jordan take off, probably didn't want to end up on a poster.

He's the antithesis of. Guy wound up on dunks, changed uncontested shots in mid-air dribbled between his legs and pump faked 2 and 3 extra times sometimes just for the fans... he was a great showman. Great showman are the antithesis of not wasting movements, they deliberately ADD unnecessary dramatic movements, just to get a crowd reaction/tv ratings/etc

Movement efficiency is Tim Duncan or Oscar Robertson. Simple moves. For points, not for fans.
    Come on now. I'm sure he was cognizant of the fact that people were watching and wanted to put on a show for them. You think Wilt in his 100 point game made sure all of his movements were purely for basketball reasons? Legend has it he f*cked 10 women on the court during that game while scoring buckets at the same time.

It is a spectator sport after all, but the majority of Jordan's movements were efficient (thus his high on court efficiency) and done to beat defenders/defenses. If they were aesthetically pleasing, even better.

Originally Posted by oarabbus
    How about someone like Hakeem? Obviously a far cry from Big O/Duncan, but all of the extra movements were strictly basketball moves.
    Exactly. Artistry and efficiency don't have to be mutually exclusive. If it looks good but still goes in the basket at a high clip, more power to the player
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 11-18-2014 at 03:17 AM.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    There's no reason to do a windmill at all though if we're simply judging things by what makes "basketball sense" and not taking the artistry of the game into account. Why do a windmill when you could just lay it up? No one is defending on a fastbreak. What's the point? You could just lay it up.
    Seriously though, why even dunk anymore? Why do a crossover? Why do a no look pass?

Now these dudes want simple and fundamental bball like in the 50s,60s, and 70s.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you an idi0t who doesn't play ball.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Well, you're right his moves are simple up and unders and reverse pivots etc... a dream shake for example is just a sequence of several extremely basic fundamental skills all players are taught. He just had quick reaction time, a generally quick body considering his size, and was fluid for his size. So it all came together and looked great when he was at his best. Look at regular game break downs of him playing though and you'll see, all his career highlight moves are not the way he always played, he usually kept it simpler than that. Most of the time he was just like any other center, simple catch the pass in the post look to see if another man is open in the lane or on the wing to shoot and if not, simple quick drop step and soft hook or layup attempt, or fade-away jumper. He did not bust out a slick series of up and unders and pivot combos we call the dream shake often - the David Robinson sequence for example, does not appear to be part of his game to game repertoire as far as I can tell.

And some of his dream shake combos did have a little extra something on them, though I'm not sure if his aim was to please fans as much as it was to gain tactical edge. Some of his more dramatic spins and up and unders I've watched were borderline, or blatant travel violations when viewed in slow motion (such as aforementioned David Robinson fake). I believe he was acutely aware of his body to the degree that I think he would probe refs pushing the envelope with some of his moves, not unlike Shaq was pushing the envelope with his elbows shoulder dips and other would-be offensive fouls. If you've got a natural gift at something see what the refs will let you do with it. Just like with AI's crossover dribble (once a carry) that seems to be the way the league works, and how some rules gradually change or get re-interpreted over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bean
    sport jame still want jordan ball in his mouth

never never take my advice

Right on cue, this phaggit shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill

> Dr J

Greatest move ever. Even better than his "Spectacular Move".

And, even though I love it, easily better than Dr. J's move vs the Lakers in the 1980 NBA Finals.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Greatest move ever. Even better than his "Spectacular Move".

And, even though I love it, easily better than Dr. J's move vs the Lakers in the 1980 NBA Finals.
    My favorite part of the play (other than the actual layup) is the reaction from the Nets bench. Dudes forgot who and where they were for about 5 seconds there

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you an idi0t who doesn't play ball.

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, a fat kid.

I hear that jump ropes help your vertical. You should get on it.

Granted not everyone is blessed with good genetics, but if you never had a 20 inch vertical in your life, I feels for ya.

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, a fat kid.

I hear that jump ropes help your vertical. You should get on it.

Granted not everyone is blessed with good genetics, but if you never had a 20 inch vertical in your life, I feels for ya.
    Let's see you do that move in a game. I don't expect you to get as high as MJ did. Shouldn't be too hard to do specially for someone with "half athleticism".

Couple of things:
    You need to attack from the center with a right handed dunk or layup.
    Then while going down switch the ball to your left and make a lefthanded layup off the backboard.
    And you need to make it. All this in the flow of a real game. Pickup is fine.

I find this pure bs and of what relevance, really?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    This is why I laughed when somebody tried to make a thread on ISH a while back that Jordan was the most "movement efficient player ever" - "no wasted movements"