Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default Re: How to improve your basketball confidence

I played against lower level competition tonight in the street court.
    And while my handles were much better, couple of times I couldnt cross this guy who I should be beating without any problems...

But Im steadily improving. My athleticism is as good as ever been. It really helps with rebounding and finishing layups.

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Yep, mostly pick up. But if no one is there I just work on my handles trying to make all kinds of combos that are really tough, and just doing all this stuff while maintaining control of myself and the ball. I also like to create all crazy games , like Im dribbling doing all the stuff like I would if I were heavily defended and when car passes by (about every 15 secs) I pull up for a jumper. With the best foot placement possible tho, and not just jack up some fade away.

Or try to do moves from tutorials and shit Ive seen at home.

make sure you are not doing them just stationary, you need to dribble hard and at a speed. go as fast and hard as you can on every dribble and while moving.this will build your handles for in game situations.

also, what the hell do you mean by taking a shot when car drives by, you playing in your drive way ?

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast
    make sure you are not doing them just stationary, you need to dribble hard and at a speed. go as fast and hard as you can on every dribble and while moving.this will build your handles for in game situations.

also, what the hell do you mean by taking a shot when car drives by, you playing in your drive way ?
    U, no, but the park is really close to the road.

Yeah, that in one place dribbling shit sucks.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: look, I suck. How to be improve you confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    One day I just told myself not to give a f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck. Fixed. Now I go hard, and nobody likes playing against me.
    That's actually exactly what I had to do. I still get nerves in certain basketball situations but in terms of coming to grips with playing in front of a crowd, my best solution was to not care, or more accurately, pretend and act like I didn't care. It was a "fake it 'til you make it" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming
    Practice, I mean do actual drills. Not playing pickup ball, over the years I found that pickup ball whilst fun doesn't do anything for my skill level. To actively improve, you have to practice.
    I'd qualify this quote a little bit. I think it all depends upon the content of these drills and games. For me, I feel like pickup games are a great opportunity to develop my game. If developing one's game is a puzzle, the drills might be creating the pieces, but actual games is where we put them all together, so I guess I find both aspects necessary to improving. And sometimes, finding how to utilize those pieces in-game can be just as difficult as drilling in those areas. So when done right, I'm a fan of using pickup as a tool for improvement.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 09-06-2013 at 08:10 AM.

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    That's actually exactly what I had to do. I still get nerves in certain basketball situations but in terms of coming to grips with playing in front of a crowd, my best solution was to not care, or more accurately, pretend and act like I didn't care. It was a "fake it 'til you make it" situation.

I'd qualify this quote a little bit. I think it all depends upon the content of these drills and games. For me, I feel like pickup games are a great opportunity to develop my game. If developing one's game is a puzzle, the drills might be creating the pieces, but actual games is where we put them all together, so I guess I find both aspects necessary to improving. And sometimes, finding how to utilize those pieces in-game can be just as difficult as drilling in those areas. So when done right, I'm a fan of using pickup as a tool for improvement.

yep but the problem is that most people just play pick up only, they never ever work on their game. you wont really get any better by only playing pick up. you should use pick up ball as an evaluation to what is lacking in your game then work on improving that aspect of your game.

even with the above, i do not recommend doing the assessment through pick up. if you are playing organized ball, it's a much better assessment for the two reasons. 1. Referee will likely catch any of your bad habits as a violation 2. Your competition is generally better in a reffed game than a random pick up

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast
    yep but the problem is that most people just play pick up only, they never ever work on their game. you wont really get any better by only playing pick up. you should use pick up ball as an evaluation to what is lacking in your game then work on improving that aspect of your game.

even with the above, i do not recommend doing the assessment through pick up. if you are playing organized ball, it's a much better assessment for the two reasons. 1. Referee will likely catch any of your bad habits as a violation 2. Your competition is generally better in a reffed game than a random pick up
    I agree with you on just about all fronts. I don't think folks should just play pickup ball if they're looking to improve. Drilling is a huge part of improving. Also, if it's an organized ballplayer, clearly that's the level they should be aiming for and playing as much as possible within such a setting (scrimmages, summer leagues, actual games, etc.)

I was merely debating the point as to whether pickup ball could actually help improve one's skill level. I feel, when done right, pickup basketball can be an effective supplement to one's skill as opposed to being a detriment. In fact, I developed a lot of my on-court mentality and feel from pickup games and open gyms throughout my life. This allowed me an elevated level of comfort and ability when I actually did play in organized games and contests (in conjunction with the drill and conditioning prep).

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I agree with you on just about all fronts. I don't think folks should just play pickup ball if they're looking to improve. Drilling is a huge part of improving. Also, if it's an organized ballplayer, clearly that's the level they should be aiming for and playing as much as possible within such a setting (scrimmages, summer leagues, actual games, etc.)

I was merely debating the point as to whether pickup ball could actually help improve one's skill level. I feel, when done right, pickup basketball can be an effective supplement to one's skill as opposed to being a detriment. In fact, I developed a lot of my on-court mentality and feel from pickup games and open gyms throughout my life. This allowed me an elevated level of comfort and ability when I actually did play in organized games and contests (in conjunction with the drill and conditioning prep).
    yes sir and agreed. i just dont want someone to take it the wrong way and go out and play 2~3 hours of pick up every single day and wonder why they never improved after 6 months.
    Edit: 90% of the people i see only plays pick up or organized game, they completely ignore working on their game individually to improve which is why i want to stress it.

i do that sometimes too, basketball is very much a mental games . playing pick up can be a great way to boost confidence and get you ready for the real stuff.

You see, for me its completely different. Basically I spent like every summer for 12 years in a row, playing ball by myself at grandpas place in a small village.I played for like 5h a day . I did have like one or two games a month at most. So while playing alone I did all kinds of drills, and I really have good base, my left hand is automatic on lay ups and passing, I have a wet jump shot and all that stuff and great handles without pressure. So the problem is that I have no experience, and those pick ups like I played today are really helping me. Amazingly. From jumpshooter what I was, today I was the guy who takes the ball up court (we ran full court), and I did 95% of the ballhandling, because I was in the zone. Competition was tight, really good and I was playing game of my life.

My whole career in highschool ball, pick ups, leagues, I was just a spot up guy, but I think I finally becoming a legit ball handler. Feels great.

Thanks to you guys, I picked up a lot of good stuff.

What helped me to get it going, while I was bringing the ball up court the first time, is I banged the ball super hard few times to look scary and to feel good worked like magic
    Last edited by CeltsGarlic; 09-07-2013 at 11:43 PM.

I never was so hyped about basketball tho... Its crazy...

In one week I improved more then in 2 years I think.. All psychologically.

Decent playground baller

anyone know some good drills?

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

have a glass of wine before tip off

Local High School Star

Psych yourself up. Its all mental. Think of something emotional that happened to you in the past, like maybe how much you hate a certain person, then pretend the person guarding you is that person.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    have a glass of wine before tip off

Thanks for the info. I actually played against 6'8" and above players, and former pros/current PBA D-league players. They were much better than me, But I learned a lot. I think I scored 16 points in 1 game. When I play in pick up game I am much better than my peers.

Go Spurs Go

gets old... but preparation = confidence

if i get some good warmups, dribbles and jumpers in before a game , i do 10x better then if i just show up and play.