Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star zabuza666's Avatar

Default Re: Discuss the Magic vs Lakers matchup

Quote Originally Posted by cotdt
    Bynum is playing through an injury, so it will be Gasol who plays Dwight. I don't think Gasol will have any problems. Gasol is taller and has a jumpshot. Dwight does NOT have a jumpshot and cannot shoot over the taller Gasol.

It sucks that Odom, Ariza, Kobe, and Bynum is injured, yet Lakers are still favored to win it all.
    Dwight Howard will absolutely molest Gasol downlow.

High School Varsity 6th Man justin43's Avatar

The Lakers frontcourt can get Dwight in foul trouble by going at Dwight. Odom and Gasol are faster and more versatile than Dwight Howard. Get Dwight to defend against their driving and he will get in foul trouble. That is how you neutralize Dwight Howard. Make him defend.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    I am saying defensively.. Pau is soft and Howard will muscle him right uder rim and either get those baby hooks or dunks and also draw Fouls. Howard is a matchup nightmare that the Lakers don't have any answers for.
    Considering the fact that they have Andrew Bynum on that team. Pau won't have to guard him, unless they want to go small. Dwight is just more physical than all of them, which might be different. But the Magic's best offense comes from pick n rolls and shooting 3's. Not Dumping the ball to Dwight Howard and let him do everything, that's what the Rockets best offense is to Yao Ming.

Lakers will let Dwight Howard get his and contain the 3 point shooters. That's what I think is going to happen. You would rather have Dwight Howard get constant 2 pointers instead of risking their 3 point shooters being open. Dwight is not the best offensive big man in the NBA, not even Top 10 for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by justin43
    The Lakers frontcourt can get Dwight in foul trouble by going at Dwight. Odom and Gasol are faster and more versatile than Dwight Howard. Get Dwight to defend against their driving and he will get in foul trouble. That is how you neutralize Dwight Howard. Make him defend.
    I agree. The Lakers have the bigs in Pau and Bynum that can get Dwight in foul trouble as much as Dwight can get them in trouble. The Cav's only had one big man who could score and that was big Z who settled for jump shots like he was Dirk.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RocketGreatness
    Considering the fact that they have Andrew Bynum on that team. Pau won't have to guard him, unless they want to go small. Dwight is just more physical than all of them, which might be different. But the Magic's best offense comes from pick n rolls and shooting 3's. Not Dumping the ball to Dwight Howard and let him do everything, that's what the Rockets best offense is to Yao Ming.

Lakers will let Dwight Howard get his and contain the 3 point shooters. That's what I think is going to happen. You would rather have Dwight Howard get constant 2 pointers instead of risking their 3 point shooters being open. Dwight is not the best offensive big man in the NBA, not even Top 10 for that matter.

He is top 10, he is the most dominant force big man in the NBA. Skill wise there are others that are better but his athleticness and power create problems much like Lebrons but at the center position instead of on the wing.

I have the Lakers in six because I think the Lakers will more then rise to the the occasion after last years loss. I also think that homecourt advantage will be HUGE for the Lakers...it's just the edge they need to beat Orlando in a 7 game series.

Lakers in 6

Root Of All Evil

I'm so depressed. I was biting at the bit for a Lakers / Cavs ... Kobe / LeBron show down. Guess the Cavs were just overhyped in a weak conference. God knows they wouldn't have lasted near this long with a healthy defending champion Celtics, or even a healthy Magic team. Guess Cleveland should be lucky they had the year that they did.

Ashame the MVP couldn't get his team to at least the Finals. No one is saying you have to win it but it would've been nice to see him there.

Center position-Orlando has howard but Gasol or Bynum MIGHT be able to slow him down a bit. Let's not forget that gasol is quicker than howard. This might get help the lakers get howard in foul troublw...Advantage-Magic

Forward position-Odom and occasionaly pau VS Turkoglu and Lewis....Odom(if focused) can actually play pretty good defense...Let's not forget about trevor ariza(who'll probably guard turkoglu)...Turkoglu and Lewis on the other hand are not really known as great defenders...Odom's quickness will pose a problem for orlando...Advantage-Lakers

Guard position-Fisher + Kobe VS Alston + Pietrus....Alston might give fisher problems but Kobe's presence will just negate that.....Kobe will be able to defend pietrus well but I think he will need to sacrifice his offense a little bit...Advantage-Lakers

Role players/Bench- The lakers has one of the best bench in the NBA(Walton, Odom, farmar, vuljacic)....The key here is luke walton...he played good in the series against the nuggets, Im just hoping that he'll be able to do it again...Advantage-Lakers

Coach
    Phil Jackson >>> SVG

Experience
    I don't think I need to explain this one...Lakers > Magic

The Magic's 3 pt shooting might pose a problem for the lakers but if the lakers focus the way they did in game 6 of the western conf finals, I believe they'll be able to neutralize this...

Lakers in 6...

Its true, Lakers may not have an answer for Howard...but the Magic have no answer for Kobe, at all. Howard can not take over a game like Kobe can, you can put him on the line towards the end of games if you have to, although Phil doesnt like that. They have Mbenga and Powell, 12 fouls for Howard on the bench, nice luxury to have.

Gasol will draw Howard away from the paint opening things up for Kobe and Ariza to drive and Odom to rebound. I see brown getting alot more minutes as he is a very good perimeter defender, so is Ariza. They along with Kobe can close out to those 3 point shooters. Phil hates to double team, Cavs did leaving shooters wide open.

Howard is prone to picking up fouls. If he picks up quick fouls and has to sit, forget it. Lakers will open up big leads, God forbid he fouls out of a game. Phil Jackson will also make the correct adjustments and seriously out coach Van Gumby for sure.

Lakers in 6.

Wow Lakers fans picking the Lakers to win that's not surprising at all......

Banned

Magic in 6...

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by dak121
    Expect to see a lot of Odom at PF going up against Lewis on the perimeter. Lakers match up much better than Cleveland did because of that one factor.

Lakers in 6.

Hmm someone knows a bit of basketball.. The Lakers also have a center who can score a good amount of points with few possessions.. Gasol is also a very good passer and has played great help defense... Howard will score but not as easy as he did vs Z.... The Lakers have a taller team and much more athletic... THE LAKERS HAVE MORE TALENT SO I say the lakers in 6 or 7.. Kobe should dominate this series as well..

Even though the Lakers started Gasol & Bynum in both meetings against Orlando this year, I would start Odom at the 4 and start Gasol at C. It's much better for the team from a match-up perspective to have Gasol/Howard and Odom/Lewis in my opinion. Plus, Gasol is a crafty mo-fo in the paint and Howard can get undisciplined with his decision making on the defensive end at times. Gasol has a much better chance of getting him on the bench in foul trouble than Bynum does.

The real Jeff

I don't know who's going to win the NBA championship this year, but hopefully it's the Lakers.

I'm just happy the Lakers don't have to face 3 future hall of famers and one of the best defensive teams of all time. Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by MBC2K4
    Even though the Lakers started Gasol & Bynum in both meetings against Orlando this year, I would start Odom at the 4 and start Gasol at C. It's much better for the team from a match-up perspective to have Gasol/Howard and Odom/Lewis in my opinion. Plus, Gasol is a crafty mo-fo in the paint and Howard can get undisciplined with his decision making on the defensive end at times. Gasol has a much better chance of getting him on the bench in foul trouble than Bynum does.

Also last year in the only meeting between the Lakers and Magic where Gasol played, he started at C against Howard and went 12-15 from the field for 30 points and 9 rebounds. Howard was only 6-11 for 16 points. Gasol can do damage against Howard if he is matched with him.