Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
bagelred
Stare

Default Anyone have Roku or Chromecast?

Considering getting one or other. Seems like a "why DON'T I have one of these?" If you have big screen HD and an internet connection, why not? Just a one time cost, right? Then at least can get my Netflix on my TV easily.

My concern is does it stream ok? How is the picture as compared to actual cable TV? Does it stutter? Is it in clear HD? And what is your internet speed? Do you use wifi or ethernet connection?

Is it easy to figure out/setup? From what I read, Roku is a more polished product as of right now...even its more money. But if it's just a one time purchase, worth the extra money I guess.....

Help me out, you young technology whippersnappers....help me out and then GET OFF MY LAWN!!!.......waving fist........
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

Default Re: Anyone have Roku or Chromecast?

I have a WD Live and they're great. Roku is better for streaming internet content, and the WD is better for streaming your own video content.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
DukeDelonte13
NBA All-star

i just use amazon prime through a console or i just plug my laptop into my tv if i wanna watch something not on amazon. I was looking at roku for a while but at the end of the day i couldn't justify it.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up

id gladly give you some insight. but unfortunately, you're a douche, so ill pass
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Roku is better for streaming internet content,

Right. That's what I want. Easy and effective way to stream the net....
Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
kentatm
NBA Legend

I have a Roku 3 and it streams very well.

I really just bought it as a second cable box b/c for whatever reason Time Warner lets you use their TV anywhere app on Roku. I don't know why they do that b/c it cost less for me to buy the Roku than it does to rent a second box from them. Oh well, their loss.

It works very well with Netflix, VUDU and HBOGo. I actually prefer it for streaming Netflix b/c it doesn't yet have that annoying feature you can't turn off that automatically starts streaming the next TV show in the series.

I also really like an app called Radio One. I can get pretty much any radio station in the US off of it. There is a Justin TV app that works ok but could be better. There are many other channels to download. Many are free with varying quality.

If you have movies in MP4 format you can just plug a hard drive into it and play them off their media app.

I don't have Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, or Redbox Instant but I assume they run just as well as everything else.

All in all I really like it as a streaming device.

Last edited by kentatm : 08-29-2013 at 01:34 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

*enter Apple fanboy*

I have 2 Jailbroken Apple Tvs in the house. Love it.

I bought these when they were still available (ATV 2) and you could jailbreak them. These models are going for double-triple the price. My brother in law had the Rasberry Pie as an ATV substitute. On paper the Rasberry Pie beats the ATV out of the water I was very interested in how it worked. But I was suspicious on how well it would perform and I wasn't wrong. It's a piece of shit when compared to the ATV. He never uses it and instead has to borrow the ATV from time to time.

Chromecast is a good alternative for the price, specially those that live within the Google ecosystem.

As far as streaming, they're absolutely flawless. Extremely convenient when you have iOS devices around (either yours or visitors).
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
I have a Roku 3 and it streams very well.

I really just bought it as a second cable box b/c for whatever reason Time Warner lets you use their TV anywhere app on Roku. I don't know why they do that b/c it cost less for me to buy the Roku than it does to rent a second box from them. Oh well, their loss.

It works very well with Netflix, VUDU and HBOGo. I actually prefer it for streaming Netflix b/c it doesn't yet have that annoying feature you can't turn off that automatically starts streaming the next TV show in the series.

I also really like an app called Radio One. I can get pretty much any radio station in the US off of it. There is a Justin TV app that works ok but could be better. There are many other channels to download. Many are free with varying quality.

If you have movies in MP4 format you can just plug a hard drive into it and play them off their media app.

I don't have Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, or Redbox Instant but I assume they run just as well as everything else.

All in all I really like it as a streaming device.

Sounds pretty...pretty.....pretty.....pretty good.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: