Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast

Default Re: Official UCLA Bruins Thread:

Doug Haller at Arizona Central

1. UCLA ... Yes, I know the Bruins have questions in their backcourt, but their frontcourt will be among the best in college basketball. Joshua Smith and Reeves Nelson both could contend for Pac-12 Player of the Year honors. That's too much to ignore.
    Haller basically says that the conference won't be around two teams like last year but will be much deeper. I'm surprised he placed the UoA at third behind Cal. He believes Tyler Lamb is the key to all UCLA success in the back court.

* UCLA head coach Ben Howland was hopeful that De'End Parker (concussion) would practice today for the first time in nine days without contact. Parker has practiced just four or fives times out of 16.

* Center Anthony Stover is still 10-14 days from practicing even without contact, Howland guessed, and said he's expected to miss the season opener at least.

* Howland said Tyler Lamb would likely backup at the point guard spot in the team's exhibition matchup with Cal State San Bernadino with Jerime Anderson suspended.

* Howland on playing the scrimmage against Cal State Fullerton and the exhibition with focus: "We actually played the scrimmage against Fullerton like a regular-season game. That's what we're trying to prepare for.

* On Norman Powell playing the point:
    "His biggest issue with me is his ability to stay in front of the ball. He's athletic so he should be able to do it, and be better than he is right now. The other thing is better passing."

* On the team's condition:
    "We've had good comp, guys comepting real hard. Guys have doing a good job pushing in that respect. We just have a lot of areas (to improve). Since the scrimmage, I've been really conscious of getting us up and down more and more to increase our conditioning."

* On David Wear:
    "He's done a really nice job. He's 6-10, so he's matched up with much smaller players and will be most of the year. That's my biggest concern is him defensively being able to stay in front. He's always going to have a disadvantage from that standpoint. He has to focus on staying low and really do a good job of staying in front of the ball."

* Howland on the key to utilizing David Wear:
    "Get him posted up. Most three men will have a hard time guarding him in the post. We've got to start scheming to get things in. He's also a pretty clever passer."

* Howland on backup center:
    "We'll play Travis (Wear) there some, even Brendan (Lane) there some. But we're going to miss Anthony. A real defensive presence. The thing I really like about Anthony is he really has a great motor in games. He plays as hard as anybody we have. Thought he really displayed that last year, doing the little things - boxing out, playing the shot, almost playing too aggressively at times. We're gonna miss that for sure."

* Howland on the potential trip to China:
    "I would really love for our team to have that opportunity. Fitting into the timeline we want - after Session C so we don't miss class - I would really like it for next year's team. It would be great for the school, everything that's going on between our university and that country. There's a lot of benefits not just to our team but to the university as a whole as a good-will gesture."

http://insidesocal.com/ucla/2011/11/...rence-upd.html

Three days ago, UCLA beat Div-II Cal State San Bernardino 80-72 in an exhibition match-up.

Josh Smith beasted with 26/7 in 27 minutes, went 14-18 from the line. Reeves had 16/10, while Lazeric Jones had 10 with 4 assists (5 turnovers though!). The Wear twins were decent with David getting 9/6 and Travis getting 10/3 in 15 minutes. Tyler Lamb went 1-5 from the field.

UCLA head coach Ben Howland on Brendan Lane's DNP against Cal State San Bernadino:
    "He's not ahead of the four guys that are ahead of in. It's based on how each game goes. Right now he's the fifth big guy. He brings a good attitude every day, works real hard."

On Loyola Marymount:
    "Their two guards are really good players. (Anthony) Ireland the starting guard, very quick, chagnes speeds, shoots it well. They have a lot of guys with a lot of experience.

On not starting Josh Smith:
    "Kind of the same reason we went away from it early in the season last year - lot of times officials are trying to set a tone early. I don't want him to be in foul trouble. Josh was fine with it. He still played his minutes and played well."

On having length, especially with Anthony Stover:
    "It'd be nice to get Stover back. His length is the length that bothers more people than anybody. Josh has good length and size combined, but Stover is the kid in our progam who changes more shots."

On defense:
    "We had too much standing. Too much relaxation. We've got to do a better job with our shot selection."

On nerves:
    "First game jitters, adrenaline flowing, going too fast. When you slow down things seem to open up a lot more than when you speed up."

On Josh Smith's foul shooting:
    "He's going to get to foul line a lot. He's just a load to handle. His free throw shot is much improved from where it was a year ago at that time. Really nice compact stroke. Anything above 70 percent is great for him. I'm happy with him shooting over 70 percent."

On Smith in the post:
    "The one thing I want him to do better is that sometimes he dribbles right in middle of paint. I would lie him to not dribble and catch it so he can go straight up. It slows down his release a little bit and people are able to react a little quicker."

On Tyler Lamb's defense:
    "I thought that Lamb did a very good job defensively for the most part. He's going to have that role of taking on the other team's two-guard a lot of the time. Zeek got in foul trouble in second half and had a couple that were ill-advised. We have to keep him out of foul trouble. That was a factor in the game."

On David Wear's defense:
    "I thought that he got extended out a few times defensively, got dribbled on two occasions in a row. It kind of depends who you can gap or who your tied to. Overall, he did a good job."

On Tyler Lamb:
    "I think Tyler will score consistently. He's going to have an opportunity to score on a consistent basis for us. I've always liked a team who has four or five guys in double figures. You want to have good balance."
    http://insidesocal.com/ucla/2011/11/...ce-report.html

UCLA junior forward Reeves Nelson is expected to play in the team's season-opener against Loyola Marymount on Friday at the Sports Arena after X-rays on his left ankle were negative.

Nelson hurt his foot/ankle late in practice on Tuesday and was held out of practice on Wednesday but is expected to return on Thursday. Nelson had 16 points and 10 rebounds in the Bruins' 80-72 exhibition win over Cal State San Bernadino on Sunday.
    http://insidesocal.com/ucla/2011/11/...e-conside.html

Glad it isn't major and Reeves will be back in time for the opener tomorrow!

UCLA has a horrid showing to start off the year and loses by 11 to Loyola Maramount

Nelson had a decent game with 13/8 but thats about it.

Next up, Middle Tennessee, who beat LMU by 7 and Austin Peay earlier in the year.

Without Reeves Nelson, UCLA won't be winning many games this year, no matter how deep the front court is, Nelson is flat out the best player on the team (though I believe Smith can be better if he can stay on the court). On top of that, Nelson is suspended indefinitely according to John Gold at InsideSoCal.com/UCLA .

I'm glad Anderson is back though, Lazeric Jones is overrated as hell and Anderson had 9/6 with 2 turnovers in his game back while Jones had 4 assists to 5 turnovers . Smith with 15/9 on 6-9 shooting was also impressive in the blow out embarrassment.

Howland had a great run with the Bruins, but I'm wondering if his time here is at an end. In the past couple of years, we lost to Montana by 10 at home, at home against Cal State Fullerton by 3, and now these two losses to Loyola Maramount and Middle Tennessee State? Sheesh!

Hopefully a win against Chaminade comes up.

As a former MTSU student, I am very pleased.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Ugh what a terrible start. At least Nelson is back. Let's hope they get their act together for the Maui.

Another crappy year. Do the Bruins just need a change in the Coaching Department?

We beat USC by 15 for the right to get whupped by Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    We beat USC by 15 for the right to get whupped by Arizona
    Well yeah...because USC sucks and Arizona is decent. This shouldn't be a surprise.
    Last edited by KG215; 03-08-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Well yeah...because USC sucks and Arizona is decent. This shouldn't be a surprise.
    hey i'm moving to arkansas soon. should i become a unc fan or a uk fan?

Quote Originally Posted by beer
    hey i'm moving to arkansas soon. should i become a unc fan or a uk fan?
    Huh? Why UNC and UK? Why not Arkansas and UK? Or Arkansas and Oklahoma? Or Arkansas and Missouri?
    Last edited by KG215; 03-09-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Why UNC and UK? Why not Arkansas and UK? Or Arkansas and Oklahoma? Or Arkansas and Missouri?

yeah should of asked unc or arkansas.

anyways, good luck in the tourney. hopefully next year ld2 and the wears will carry us to a NIT championship