Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: Michael Jackson's prime?

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    History is probably his creative peak though. His songwriting was at his best and most deep. Just like Donald Duck Mathews from the Five Heartbeats said "You'll finally become a great writer when you suffer or go through something." His 2 most underrated songs "Stranger in Moscow" and "Earth Song" he's the only artist credited on the writing and production side. No Quincy, no Teddy, no Bruce, no Jam and Lewis, just him. Then other great tracks like "Money" and "Tabloid Junkie" among others.

And for Dangerous, that is still mostly him. Goon Too Soon is the only track he doesn't have writers credit on, obviously because it's a cover.

Record wise, you can go as far as HIStory, but performance wise you gotta stop at the Dangerous LP. Also, don't forget the live HBO concert he put on in 92.
    Great correction of me about the writing as Mike was still certainly capable ,but after Bad (wisely dumped Jones) it was more about updating his sound/getting with the times than a decline. Point well taken.

I went to Youtube & watched some concert footage of him during the 90's & will say he was still very good ,but obviously the decline had begun by the Dangerous Tour(as a performer).

The Dangerous tour with more playback, cancellations due to exhaustion,injuries, swagger diminishing because of self conciousness about looks, & not to mention the looming child molestation stuff that would further crush confidence.( History Tour 1996 his weak/inconsistent vocals, good but less than crisp dancing was a lot more obvious. He almost looks bored at times).

Mike was great at the 1995 MTV awards at age 37? ,but I just think by the early 90's he just could no longer consistently pull off stuff he did on a bad night during the 'Bad' era.

Not a major decline ,but as a marker 'Dangerous Tour' was the began of his decline from his 'Prime'(1988/89 Grammys awards / Bad Tour era).

I can't say beyond 1988/89 with the Grammys/'Bad'Tour was 'prime' MJ.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    I'm from 'back then'.

Not gonna lie to you as if I have a library on these guys ,but outside of Stevie,Marvin & MJ I am not a huge Motown fan. I am a little older & witnessed Mike during his Peak.

I get my information from album liner notes which I have (ie Marvin Gaye': The Master, 'Stevie: At the end of the Century' among other albums), documentaries & interviews over the years about these guys & Motown.

I am more a Jazz/Blues fan(my username) & can give you several books on that subject however?

Sure, you can give me several books on that subject.

Also, what do you consider Michael Jackson's best album?

Check your Private Messages when you have the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    You made going/very informative points in this thread and I wanted to ask you the same I asked 32jazz

You seem to know a lot about Michael and the music scene back then. Any books you recommend so I can learn more?

It's hard to rank MJ's best album, because really all of them are good to great. I can list the five I listen to the most. I grouped them into J5/Jacksons/solo.

MJ solo
    Off The Wall
    Got To Be There
    Thriller
    Bad
    HIStory

Jacksons
    Triumph
    Destiny
    The Jacksons
    Victory
    Goin' Places

Jackson 5
    Third Album
    Lookin' Through the Windows
    Moving Violation
    ABC
    Diana Ross Presents

Some of the best books are biography. James Brown's bio, a Jacki Wilson book I read in grade school which I can't remember the name of.

An Icon Forever

It's hard to rank MJ's best album, because really all of them are good to great. I can list the five I listen to the most. I grouped them into J5/Jacksons/solo.

MJ solo
    Off The Wall
    Got To Be There
    Thriller
    Bad
    HIStory

Jacksons
    Triumph
    Destiny
    The Jacksons
    Victory
    Goin' Places

Jackson 5
    Third Album
    Lookin' Through the Windows
    Moving Violation
    ABC
    Diana Ross Presents

Some of the best books are biography. James Brown's bio, a Jacki Wilson book I read in grade school which I can't remember the name of.

Thanks.

"Visions of Jazz "by Gary Giddins who is one of my favorite Jazz Critics
    "History of Jazz" - Ted Gioia you can't go wrong with either of these books

"Deep Blues" by Robert Palmer My absolutely favorite book about the the history of Delta Blues which was the indirect inspiration/culmination (via Chicago Bluesman ) blues/Rockers like Clapton,Stones,Zepplin,etc.....

Ted Gioia-"Delta Blues"

"Hole in Our Soul?" By Martha Bayles is my favorite book about the state of Pop music which she feels has lost it's way after deviating too far from it's R&B roots- Highly recommeded

Speaking of which the Ken Burns "Jazz" documentary gives a great video documentation of the History of Jazz(with flaws) especially up the the 1960's. It seems to stop there as the 1970's was a nadir in Jazz history & seems to unfairly concentrate on certain artist, but trying to condense 75 years of Jazz .....(.Gary Giddins love of Jazz is clearly evident in the documentary since he nearly needs to be restrained to his when discussing it. )

I have other biographies of specific Jazz & Blues musicians(Duke Ellington,Thelonius Monk,Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Charlie Patton, Jelly Roll Morton,etc......but I wouldn't recommend any of them until you first see which Artists appeal to you after watching Ken Burns/Jazz & reading a couple of the general History books above. You can then determine which artists/genre of Jazz/Blues you like to further read about.

If you want examples of artist you read about sample their work on YouTube before buying cd's.

You seem to be more interested in R&B & I have personally not read him (other than excerpts) , but Nelson George has been recommended to me.

Back to MJ. You can't go wrong with Kizzle recommendations. "Best"?

Maybe not his best ,but it's something about the Off The Wall Michael that personally gets the best response from me(Not that it's his 'best' Album though).

I like the warm straight forward vocals over some decent funk beats as opposed to the seemingly more measured/less relaxed,in comparison, later works. By "Bad" era his little yelps, hiccups & other vocal effects annoyed me somewhat.

Maybe that's why I go back to what I feel was his Prime was :

1977/78(Wiz/Off the Wall era)- 1988-89( 88 Grammys/Bad Tour era).

Peak: 1981(Triumph era)- 85(Thriller era)

By 1992 the overall decline(that was your question) was beginning with the concert cancellations/exhaustion(wink wink),injuries,odder physicalappearance/confidence , etc..... But that doesn't mean he still wasn't 1st rate just less consistent/uneven.

By 1996(History Tour) he was still beloved, entertaining,etc........but easily out of Prime.

Banned

MJ's prime as a singer was his tall/skinny/teenage years pre-nose surgery. The nose surgeries began I believe around the time of the Wiz. By the time Off the Wall came out, his voice was definitely no longer the real draw, as much as his general performance and delivery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXlsf3tvNo

The smoothness of this Sinatra cover is unreality. Every change in pitch, every elongated note, the delicate falsetto... everything just executed perfectly! Crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTEGraARUxs

Start watching at 1:10 and listen to how she introduces each Jackson, and how each one sounds just kind of plain and whatever, then when she gets to Michael its like WHAM! It's just one line but you can hear how superior the guy is to everyone around him. Then fast forward to 2:20, and peep the singin. Best part is after the first verse and chorus, theres a real funk instrumental breakdown followed by MJ straight freakin it. W00h!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8djjx0wMWdg

J5 medley with Cher. Listen to him sing I'll Be There (second song) and just peep the "sing cher" adlib he does after the first chorus. God its ****ing SILK!

Now dancing/performance prime was def the thriller and bad years. Not just because of the music videos and choreography, but you could tell he hit his stride and identity as a dancer on stage. He was a machine wit the moves at that point, everything was so incredibly precise and emotive. In his singing prime like in the videos above, he mostly just kind of used JB and Jackie Wilson stage moves and the dancing was mostly second to the singing. By Thriller he reversed that and started engineering his own dance moves and routines and innovations.

Dudes instincts for performance were just utterly unmatched. Such a fukkin baller on stage. No disrespect to any other great. That's really what it was too, he just had pure instincts for how something is supposed to sound/look. Guys was a ****ing artiste!

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    MJ's prime as a singer was his tall/skinny/teenage years pre-nose surgery. The nose surgeries began I believe around the time of the Wiz. By the time Off the Wall came out, his voice was definitely no longer the real draw, as much as his general performance and delivery.

The smoothness of this Sinatra cover is unreality. Every change in pitch, every elongated note, the delicate falsetto... everything just executed perfectly! Crazy.

Start watching at 1:10 and listen to how she introduces each Jackson, and how each one sounds just kind of plain and whatever, then when she gets to Michael its like WHAM! It's just one line but you can hear how superior the guy is to everyone around him. Then fast forward to 2:20, and peep the singin. Best part is after the first verse and chorus, theres a real funk instrumental breakdown followed by MJ straight freakin it. W00h!

J5 medley with Cher. Listen to him sing I'll Be There (second song) and just peep the "sing cher" adlib he does after the first chorus. God its ****ing SILK!

Now dancing/performance prime was def the thriller and bad years. Not just because of the music videos and choreography, but you could tell he hit his stride and identity as a dancer on stage. He was a machine wit the moves at that point, everything was so incredibly precise and emotive. In his singing prime like in the videos above, he mostly just kind of used JB and Jackie Wilson stage moves and the dancing was mostly second to the singing. By Thriller he reversed that and started engineering his own dance moves and routines and innovations.

Dudes instincts for performance were just utterly unmatched. Such a fukkin baller on stage. No disrespect to any other great. That's really what it was too, he just had pure instincts for how something is supposed to sound/look. Guys was a ****ing artiste!

Good post!

Wanted to throw this out there for you and anyone else who wants to answer. Know it probably is a hard question, but want to know your thoughts as well as L. Kizzle's and 32jazz.

A. Who do you consider the top 10 singers of all time?

B. Who do you consider the top 10 song writers of all time?

C. Who do you consider the top 10 performers of all time?

Banned

In terms of pure vocal strength and smoothness, I'd start with most of the standard bearers: Jackie Wilson, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Frank Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, even a young MJ, maybe throw Janis Joplin in there

If you include delivery, style, personal preference etc. then I'd start adding Little Richard, Otis Redding, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Rod Stewart (in his rock days), Ray Charles, Howlin Wolf, Robert Plant, even George Jones on the country side

That's a tricky one. Berry Gordy immediately comes to mind. I'm a big fan of Don Henley from the Eagles as a songwriter. Otis Redding wrote a lot of his own stuff which was great. Smokey Robinson. Bob Dylan. David Bowie. There's more but this one I'd have to rack my brain a lil harder over which atm I'm too tired to do.

Little Richard, Michael Jackson, James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Otis Redding, Mick Jagger, Freddy Mercury, Kizzle's guy Joe Tex, Prince...

I'm sure there's plenty more Im missing including some obvious ones, that's just off the top of my head doe

An Icon Forever

Thanks man! Who do you think are the best music producers?

Check these medley' out.

Killing Me Softly/By The Time I Get To Phoenix/Danny Boy 1974

Tonight Show 1976

Grammy Awards 1973

All of the top, I need some time to think and I'd probably be a different list tomorrow.

Clyde McPhatter
    Little Willie John
    Jackie Wilson
    Sam Cooke
    Marvin Gaye
    Aretha Franklin
    Michael Jackson
    Freddie Mercury
    Whitney Houston

Smokey Robinson
    Curtis Mayfield
    Gamble and Huff
    John Lennon/Paul McCartney
    Stevie Wonder
    Bob Dylan
    Prince
    Roy Orbison

Jackie Wilson
    James Brown
    Joe Tex
    Ike and Tina Turner Revue
    Jimi Hendrix
    Michael Jackson/Jacksons
    Queen
    Prince

D. Who do you think are the best music producers?
    Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis
    George Martin
    Prince
    Gamble and Huff
    Teddy Riley
    James Brown
    Rick Rubin
    Quincy Jones
    Stevie Wonder

An Icon Forever

All of the top, I need some time to think and I'd probably be a different list tomorrow.

Clyde McPhatter
    Little Willie John
    Jackie Wilson
    Sam Cooke
    Marvin Gaye
    Aretha Franklin
    Michael Jackson
    Freddie Mercury
    Whitney Houston

Smokey Robinson
    Curtis Mayfield
    Gamble and Huff
    John Lennon/Paul McCartney
    Stevie Wonder
    Bob Dylan
    Prince
    Roy Orbison

Jackie Wilson
    James Brown
    Joe Tex
    Ike and Tina Turner Revue
    Jimi Hendrix
    Michael Jackson/Jacksons
    Queen
    Prince

D. Who do you think are the best music producers?
    Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis
    George Martin
    Prince
    Gamble and Huff
    Teddy Riley
    James Brown
    Rick Rubin
    Quincy Jones
    Stevie Wonder

Thanks man! What type of music do you like the most? I'll admit it and a little embarrassed to admit it, but most people on these lists I am not familiar with. How can I develop the breadth of knowledge you have of music?

I am going to watch that jazz documentary 32jazz mentioned to start with.

Banned

Thanks man! What type of music do you like the most? I'll admit it and a little embarrassed to admit it, but most people on these lists I am not familiar with. How can I develop the breadth of knowledge you have of music?

I am going to watch that jazz documentary 32jazz mentioned to start with.

Pandora and Youtube are the window into the musical golden ages and days of yore. Just hit em up and explore.

And obviously using message boards like you just did helps as well. In fact, true story, some of the artists I mentioned previously who are now some of my favorite singers, to whom I listen all the time and know a ton about, I was first introduced to by seeing L Kizzle post a link to a song or mention a name, two, three, four years ago, and I went and checked it out and loved what I heard. Really got me into some acts I otherwise might still not ever have heard of. THanks kizzle!

Good post!

Wanted to throw this out there for you and anyone else who wants to answer. Know it probably is a hard question, but want to know your thoughts as well as L. Kizzle's and 32jazz.

L Kizzle has a damn good list( no real issues except Joe Tex ) & it's obvious his taste lean towards old school R&B/Soul. I'll just give you a cross section of MY favorite genres (no particular order/rank) & not totally repeat.

Singers:
    Sarah Vaughn
    Billie Holiday
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Mahalia Jackson
    Marvin Gaye
    Sam Cooke
    Muddy Waters
    Howlin' Wolf
    Dinah Washington
    Aretha Franklin

Songwriters/JAZZ didn't have 'songwriters ' per se, so composers will be listed as well:

Willie Dixon
    Allen Toussaint/Professor Longhair(New Orleans love)
    Stevie Wonder
    Prince
    Ashford & Simpson
    Strong/Whitfield(Motown)
    Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn
    Charles Mingus
    Thelonious Monk
    Thomas Dorsey
    Last edited by 32jazz; 07-15-2013 at 01:54 PM.