Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
crounsa810
National High School Star

Default I want the innocence back

Really, I really miss the 90's. It was so innocent. Hell, the music was good, the movies were good, the TV was good. Computers were just starting to come around. You were awesome if you had a car phone. Flat tops, bright colors, etc.. It just was a much more innocent time. We didn't have as many problems with people having no jobs & companies needing bailouts. We had Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Stockton, Malone, Ewing, Hakeem, etc.

I just really think it was a much better time to be living back then. Rap was actually good. You could listen to the radio for longer than 5 minutes. I mean, look at the one hit wonders. They were a hell of a lot better than even people with multiple hits nowadays. Music overall had a much lighter & fun sound to it.

TV Shows- Dear God, think of all the TV shows that were on.
Seinfeld
Frasier
Friends
Boy Meets World
Fresh Prince
Full House
Family Matters
Home Improvement
Saved By The Bell
Ren & Stimpy
The Simpsons
Martin
The Wayans Bros
In Living Color

And Nickelodeon in those days

Salute Your Shorts
Rugrats
Rocko's Modern Life
Are You Afraid Of The Dark?
All That
The Angry Beavers
Cat Dog
DOUG
Hey Arnold
Inspector Gadget

Hell, Disney was even good

Dinosaurs
Smart Guy
The Famous Jett Jackson
TaleSpin
Darkwing Duck
Goof Troop
Aladdin
Mighty Ducks
Gargoyles
Bonkers
Jungle Cubs
Recess
Quack Pack
Timon & Pumbaa

God damn, kids these days have nothing like these shows. They have pure **** on tv. I kinda feel bad for them.

Movies:

Lets see, uhh

American Pie
Forrest Gump
Scream
Jurassic Park
Pulp Fiction
Home Alone
Apollo 13
Toy Story
Austin Powers
Men In Black
Wayne's World
The Mask
Ace Ventura
Groundhog Day
Sixth Sense
Good Fellas

I could go on & on

But what's sad is that it's all gone now. Really, it hasn't been the same since 9/11. I agree with everyone, that's the day America lost it's innocence. Ever since then, all the good, happy, light, fun times have just disappeared, and I hate it. I wish things could go back to the way they were.

EDIT: Plus, who can forget this?

Last edited by crounsa810 : 03-17-2009 at 01:22 PM.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
sixerfan82
College star

Default Re: I want the innocence back

Our society has been tremendously desensitized by commercialization. It's really sad and I can cite several examples of just how "so what" we've gotten.

If you really wish to bring back the past though, try explaining to those pushing for the future that instant gratification has a long term downgrading effect.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Yeah! And there weren't all these damn Mexicans everywhere! Hey you kids! Get outta the damn street!

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

The J-Lo dress was a few months into the new decade actually.

Also -1 for any mention of Home Improvement on a list recognizing quality.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
The J-Lo dress was a few months into the new decade actually.

Also -1 for any mention of Home Improvement on a list recognizing quality.

UH UH UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH [stupid grunt he used to do]

C'mon, the show wasn't that bad, was it?
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

The 90s was great and all. However, if there was an ish back then, I could see a similar OTC thread being made about how people want the innocence of the 1980s back. Things always look better in retrospect than what they actually were at the time.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
The 90s was great and all. However, if there was an ish back then, I could see a similar OTC thread being made about how people want the innocence of the 1980s back. Things always look better in retrospect than what they actually were at the time.

Except you'd have to wait 5 minutes for your 56k modem to refresh the page.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
C'mon, the show wasn't that bad, was it?
The fact that much of the Western world enjoys Tim Allen as a comedian makes me never want to laugh again.

Although I do admit I used to tune in occasionally, if only for JTT's boyish good looks.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
B-Low
The Love B-Low

This is how we know we're getting old though. Because i agree with all that. The thing is, that's what EVERY generation says. The kids who are growing up now will look back in 10 years and say that these were the good ol' days, just like the people in the 90s looked back at the 80s and said those were better days. We grow up and things naturally get less interesting to us. It's not that TV is any worse, or that movies are...it's just that we're old now and the things that made our lives special are gone...the things we had memories attached to now are gone.

When i see old cartoons i remember coming home from school and sititng down with some cheetos watching them. Or when i see old movies i remember going with my parents and havign a good time. When i hear old songs i remember playin them in the car with my friends in high school. But stuff that came our recently, the only real memories i have of TV shows is them being in the background while i study or stress about something, so the memories aren't there

Entertainment isn't getting worse, our lives just are because we're getting older

edit: MLH said it in much fewer words while i was typin this lol
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

I guess I'm looking at the show in the context of when I saw it. Which would be 10 years ago. It was funny then, when I was 12.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I guess I'm looking at the show in the context of when I saw it. Which would be 10 years ago. It was funny then, when I was 12.
lol, I even hated it then.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
This is how we know we're getting old though. Because i agree with all that. The thing is, that's what EVERY generation says. The kids who are growing up now will look back in 10 years and say that these were the good ol' days, just like the people in the 90s looked back at the 80s and said those were better days. We grow up and things naturally get less interesting to us. It's not that TV is any worse, or that movies are...it's just that we're old now and the things that made our lives special are gone...the things we had memories attached to now are gone.

When i see old cartoons i remember coming home from school and sititng down with some cheetos watching them. Or when i see old movies i remember going with my parents and havign a good time. When i hear old songs i remember playin them in the car with my friends in high school. But stuff that came our recently, the only real memories i have of TV shows is them being in the background while i study or stress about something, so the memories aren't there

Entertainment isn't getting worse, our lives just are because we're getting older

Eggzactaphukkinmundo.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
lol, I even hated it then.

I always thought the mom was hot.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Agreed B-Low but I can identify a quality kids show when I see one and I just dont see any.

Are there any decent cartoons out there nowadays? I mean really, can anything beat Rocket Power or Hey Arnold?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
crounsa810
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low

Very valid points, but really, I think they are getting worse. I mean, all it is now on TV is reality shows. Thats basically it. No sitcoms that are decent. It's just not as high quality. And as for music, well, go to the "Prom Queen" thread a few below this one. That pretty much sums up where music has gone. Movies, while they aren't "bad" necessarily, it's become almost too based on special effects. There really aren't any good STORIES in the movies anymore. Most coming out today are just "OOOO look at the pretty effects" & then after you see it, you forget all about it. The movies I listed have staying power. Todays movies, not so much. In all honesty, the best movies I've seen in the past 6 years have been Watchmen & The Dark Knight. There may have been more, but, like I said, I can't remember them.

Last edited by crounsa810 : 03-17-2009 at 02:04 PM.
crounsa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: